Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I use saddle soap on my black McTavish and just brush. I use leather lotion on my black hills. Seems to work okay.

Thanks @coolarrow about the swims. I thought about picking up some totes on sale at JAB for $25, but I worried about marking my shoes. Nice to know about the felt lining on the swims. May be worth the extra $.

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

There was a...vigorous...debate in the Shoe Care thread on the topic of saddle soap. It was enough to convince me to stick with Bick 4 and Saphir Renovateur. While the cobbler guys seem to lean toward Bick 4, my experience with Saphir has been better, though my process was anything but scientific. My kids left one of my deerskin leather gloves outside for some time and the leather was clearly unhappy. I went over both glove thoroughly with Bick 4, but the damaged glove only looked marginally better. I then went over them both with Saphir and the damaged glove is now a near match.

Anyway, I use Saphir Renovateur on my three pairs of McT's and my Brook x AE pebbled leather shoes. I use it on the rest of my shoes too, except for the CXL.

3. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

AE are great value for the money, Crocketts are far superior in craftmanship but you also pay for it. My calf CJ cost as much as my shell AEs. Fit wise CJ will be a bit more narrow.

4. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I didn't know about the lining on the Swims, either. That's good to know. When are they on sale for $59? Because the Tingley ones definitely mark, and they smell like petroleum, too.

5. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

Yes, it would be great to meet up and watch each other get poorer by the minute (albeit in style).

6. BL70

BL70 Senior member

There was an email blast that went out opening day.
    So cool to have an outlet close by.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Seems I was out of the blast zone. I think I'll roll by there Monday.

8. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

thanks for the advice. I thought the hard part was finding a great pair of second hand AE's in bourbon, but looks like the problem is going to be getting a matching belt! I can't readily find anything in bourbon in my size in any of the 3 you mentioned. (Ideally, I can get the Manistee because I want the matching Brogueing)

Size wise, I normally wear a 30 in jeans but usually wear a 34 belt. I wear my pants on my hips (short torso) which I think cases me to need a longer belt. For AE belt sizes, are they different than other belts, and I should follow their directions of getting a 32 or shoudl I stick with my "normal" 34 size?

9. texas9

texas9 Member

Brannock is 12C. I've given up on vamp width. 12Bs and 12C still have the gap, and some heel slippage/bowing. Same problem with 11.5E.

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

>Sneakers
    >Made in the Dominican Republic

Looks like I'll be going to Rancourt for my sneaker needs.

I hope the austerity brogues aren't going to be 100% DR-made too, else I'll probably go to Rancourt for those as well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

11. BL70

BL70 Senior member

For anyone who didn't receive this

Enjoy grand opening savings now through 3/19/16. Visit ShoeBank.com
    Trouble viewing this email? View online > | Share this email with a friend >
    Allen Edmonds
    Shop the newest
    outlet store in Paramus, NJ.
    Shop the newest Allen Edmonds outlet store in:
    The Outlets At Bergen Town Center
    1 Bergen Town Center, Suite 19
    Paramus, NJ 07652
    201-843-7646
    [email protected]

Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00-9:30 & Closed Sundays
    LEARN MORE
    Enjoy grand opening savings now through 3/19/16 at the Allen Edmonds Outlet Store located at The Outlets At Bergen Town Center.
    Visit ShoeBank.com Today To View All Available Styles!
    Limited to on-hand inventory only. Sizes and styles vary by location. While supplies last.
    ALLEN EDMONDS
    About Us
    Craftsmanship
    Recrafting[​IMG]
    Gift Cards
    CUSTOMER SERVICE
    800-235-2348
    Contact Us
    Find A Factory Store
    Privacy Policy

Grand Opening Savings on any full priced Allen Edmonds branded shoes, belts and accessories at the Allen Edmonds Retail Store in Paramus, NJ available now through 3/19/16. One discount per customer. Only valid at the Allen Edmonds Retail Store located in Paramus, NJ. Not valid at Allen Edmonds Outlet Stores and AllenEdmonds.com. Not valid with any other offer. Not valid on previous purchases.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

The new offerings Paul talked about on reddit are there I see. Double monk, unlined and on the 201 - nice, another one that I won't be able to fit without a 6.5D. And I remember someone here telling me I was wrong to expect a sojourner lookalike, it was going to be sleek, etc. Looks like we were both wrong - instead we get gangsta vans. That's gotta be someone's idea of a joke.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Thanks guys! I decided to put the two pairs of Dundees (not Bayfields, the perf cap toe boot. I wish!) in the back just cause they're taller.

I dunno which is my favorite. The Bradley and Carmina LWB are my two best-fitting. The natty Dundee is a pretty awesome casual shoe because of all the crazy patina. I very rarely wear the park aves, because I just end up reaching for my brown Lobbs when I need to wear a suit these days. I would sell them, but the color is just a gorgeous shade of burgundy, and there may be a time when I suit up more often.

The black Dundees are brand new. Can't wait to wear them. Maybe tonight.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Most competent cobblers will do it for you, or sell you the tools to do it yourself. If you live near an AE store, ask them to do it for you. They shouldn't charge.

I agree with you about chukkas! I've got two shell, two suede (one unlined), and one dressy chukka in museum calf, and have just ordered an MTO monk chukka! Once I get an NST or a promote chukka and an ankle balmoral boot I'll be all set ;)

I would caution you against stepping up to higher tier brands like CJ, especially if you enjoy your AEs. If you once balked at paying 300$ for first quality, soon you'll be quite comfortable dropping 5 or 6 bills at a clip, and you'll justify it by telling yourself how much nicer the sole edge finishing and stitching is on English brands than AE or Alden (which it is, but who the hell is gonna notice!!). And once you've finally purchased your first pair of Edward Greens or John Lobbs, you'll look at yourself in the mirror with disgust and say "my God, what have I done?" And two days later, find yourself back on the Leffot or Skoak web site daydreaming about the next order.

And be EXTRA careful not to fall prey to the Bonafe or Vass MTO addiction. It's as addicting as the old AE MTO program used to be, only vastly more lethal for your savings.

Having said all this, you can get stock Crockett models from pediwear for around $400 VAT free. Compared to $385 retail for AE and $535 retail for Alden calf, it's a no brainer!

I should definitely look into those. My shoes have never been marked up by my Tingkeys, but the finish often gets smudged.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

15. LIMatt

LIMatt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

eBay pickup. $51 shipped.

My first pair in this color, so I need polish. Is there a particular name I need to look for, or would it be just "brown"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.