1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Sounds like he got burned somehow.

Off topic, but after waiting 4 weeks, my new laces finally arrived. These are 4 mm which fit the shoes perfectly. The black ones on the left are my original Carlyle 90 cm laces. The rest are 75 cm long. I might suggest purchasing 90 cm if you want them to be a little longer. Not sure what to do with the light blue, as they don't match well with my suede PA's. I'll order some dark blue ones. I've come to realize I much prefer the flat laces over the round ones.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Quick concern. Around the welt of couple of my shell shoes I noticed tiny punch holes where they sew the welt. Should I be worried about water getting in? Or is this normal on most shoes. [​IMG]

3. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Natty cxl Sunday. (every day could and probably should be natty cxl day)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I don't have either shoe, but the natural, green and blue options are extremely rare and it could be years before you see them again. Brown can be had more readily.

5. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Where/when is/was this trunk show? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. Thanks!

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Natural shell is beautiful in my opinion (scroll back a couple pages and see the natty shell Daltons I posted). As for green and blue, color me uninterested. I really can't fathom how a blue or green shoe would work into anyone's usual wardrobe, but different strokes for different folks I guess. They look neat as a collectors edition on your shelf, but I can't imagine ever wearing them.

7. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

thanks, I see your point but I do agree with backinthejox below, I'd not consider green and blue for a formal shoe no matter how rare they are..
    But natural is looking more and more interesting specially with the patina it develops..

As per Chicago store, it will happen on 23rd Oct ( date might change). During the trunk show, SMU charges will be waived off and Natural, Bottle green, Navy and Ruby cordovan colors (special colors) will be available. you can give them a call to find out more..

Agree with you, that natural is beautiful, And also that green and blue ( specially green) are really collector's edition..and I can't use them in my rotation..

Not sure if natural cornwallis will look too similar to my u tip whiskey cordovan from Vass..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I don't see why not.

9. trufunk

trufunk New Member

10. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Happened to have brown in my size. I wasn't ever really on the fence, I'm just an opportunist :)

2 people like this.
  11. shunted22

shunted22 Senior member

I think blue shell works fine with denim. Take a look at the amazing LWBs posted on the first post in this thread. Agreed about green.
    If I'm not out of town (is the 44th st date announced?), a pair of blue shell LWBs and Natty Daltons may be in order. Already have a pair of brown shell higgins mill on the way.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  12. baselinemerc

baselinemerc Member

Swung and missed on some seconds. Bourbon came in with tiger striping. I stripped the finish and tried again. I would have returned but I wore them out. Not too bad

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 people like this.
  13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Well done sir.

14. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Oh! Be sure to post pics of the HM. How'd you swing getting those?

15. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Question for some of the Old Timers, or anyone who has recrafting experience. I have 15 pairs currently, with ten to twelve in active rotation, based on the season. Given that, how long would you expect that I could go from new to needing a recraft? Also, is there a different lifespan for Dainite over leather?

16. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

At least five years, with perhaps a heel replacement partway through. Dainite lasts longer than single leather soles. Tips also can wear faster depending on gait/length.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

How does sizing of the Long Branch compare to the 65 last? I'm an 8D in 65, but know I'll be wearing slightly thicker socks in the long branch. I don't typically like ultra thick socks, even in boots and it doesn't get that cold in Seattle even in the winter.

18. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks Gabru- I called up the store here and they weren't aware of any upcoming shows. They proceeded to talk to me about custom options and reiterated that the only thing you can't change is the leather. Is this just at a Chicago location or an independent retailer? Im obviously out of this loop

19. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Agree on green, but I love wearing my midnight navy Cornwallis with gray suits. It's dark enough that, when indoors, people generally think it's Black until they look closely. That specific shade reminds me of a midnight navy tux.

20. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Is anyone familiar with Julie at the Port Washington Shoebank? Is she a good judge of the quality of seconds?
    She was very pleasant and pointed out some minor issues with a pair of Oxblood PA seconds, mostly some small darker spots above the cap in the soon to be crease zone. She indicated that they were in good shape for seconds.
    I am just curious if anyone could vouch for her veracity.
    In any event, I purchased them based on her word, so I suppose I will find out on my own soon enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.