• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my biggest regrets is passing on a pair of Shoebank Lubbocks about two years ago. Once I realized that I really wanted them, they were gone.

Keep an eye on Shoebank and NR. From time to time some will pop up. I was able to pick up these and the Elgins long after they were discontinued. At least you have the Norwich (if I remember correctly) :)

Last edited:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I started my shoe quest, I was persuaded to stay away from rubber soles. If you're just into shoes and lurking, that's horrible advice. Rubber soles are awesome. And these are my current favorite pair I own. (haters gonna say the socks are photoshopped)

Reaction score
My Merlot Randolph arrived today. I just put them on, and it fits pretty good. Needed to break it in a bit, but it's a great pair of loafers so far. I'm going to enjoy them.

Reaction score
The custom neumoks are tempting. Unfortunately, two colors that I'm interested in are not available.
I'd love to see grey added as an option, along with purple.
Who's with me?

I'm surprised they excluded purple and grey considering there are a lot of the collegiate/professional teams sporting those colors. Louisiana State, TCU, Ohio State, Minnesota Vikings, LA Lakers, and the many others come to mind.

Hopefully, they will consider it in the future.

Hino

Reaction score
Long time lurker and reader, first time posting in the thread.

I work in a pretty conservative business casual environment that requires dressing in a suit every few months. My first pair of Allen Edmonds was a merlot Park Avenue (got it on clearance in July). I absolutely loved them and wanted to replace my other work shoes (cheap shoes) with more AEs.

I just picked up a bourbon Carlyle from AE's ebay store and I am breaking them in. I have a dilemma for the next pair: I see a pair of Rutledges on ebay in my size in dark brown that would immediately go to every day work shoe. Or should I save my money and get a Hopkinson (most likely in black) to replace my PAs as a suit shoe, and then use the PA for every day work.

Any feedback or suggestions? Would love to hear from more experienced members.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work in a pretty conservative business casual environment that requires dressing in a suit every few months. My first pair of Allen Edmonds was a merlot Park Avenue (got it on clearance in July). I absolutely loved them and wanted to replace my other work shoes (cheap shoes) with more AEs.

I just picked up a bourbon Carlyle from AE's ebay store and I am breaking them in. I have a dilemma for the next pair: I see a pair of Rutledges on ebay in my size in dark brown that would immediately go to every day work shoe. Or should I save my money and get a Hopkinson (most likely in black) to replace my PAs as a suit shoe, and then use the PA for every day work.

How about a Strand or Cornwallis?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the AE store in downtown SF today and had a quick look at the Academy shoes and the Higgins Mill boots today. I was blown away by both - really liked them and the price-for-value seems excellent. If I weren't so full up on boots now I'd very quickly buy the Natty CXL Higgins Mill, and I'll almost certainly wind up with a pair of natty Academy at some point. They're just flat out cool in person!

Didn't have time for pix - might go back by again tomorrow, but for anyone on the fence, I'll be really surprised if you don't like them...

Last edited:

Hino

Reaction score
How about a Strand or Cornwallis?
Thanks for the quick reply. I've kind of ruled the Strand out for now, since my tastes tend to go more conservative. However, I definitely wanted to check it out in store before I made a final decision. With the right outfit, it looks amazing. I, unfortunately, am improving my shoes while leaving most of my work clothes far behind haha.

I have looked strongly at the Cornwallis, but I wanted to maybe focus on other shoes before revisiting. I definitely think it is a great looking shoe though.

Reaction score
I stopped by the AE store in downtown SF today and had a quick look at the Academy shoes and the Higgins Mill boots today. I was blown away by both - really liked them and the price-for-value seems excellent. If I weren't so full up on boots now I'd very quickly buy the Natty CXL Higgins Mill, and I'll almost certainly wind up with a pair of natty Academy at some point. They're just flat out cool in person!

Didn't have time for pix - might go back by again tomorrow, but for anyone on the fence, I'll be really surprised if you don't like them...

I really like the Higgins Mills boots too!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good choices on your first picks. I own both of those shoes as well.

As far as the Hopkinson, I heard that it will go on sale in October. I don't know how much it will be. I think it's a very nice looking shoe, but have not tried one on yet. I plan to buy one someday. Anyway, if you don't want to wait until October, you could buy a pair of seconds on shoebank.com whenever AE has the next seconds sale.

Last edited:

Hino

Reaction score
Good choices on your first picks. I own both of those shoes as well.

As far as the Hopkinson, I heard that it will go on sale in October. I don't know how much it will be. I think it's a very nice looking shoe, but have not tried one on yet. I plan to buy one someday. Anyway, if you don't want to wait until October, you could buy a pair of seconds on shoebank.com whenever AE has the next seconds sale.
Thank you for the reply. I also appreciate the kind words. I love both shoes and want to continue this expensive habit. That is fantastic news about the Hopkinson. I may go ahead and just wait it out and see how much it gets discounted. I want to call and see if the South Coast Plaza location has anything in my size in stock.

I noticed you're in the LA area - have you been to the store? Are there any other places that carry numerous AE sizes? (The only place I've been to that has AE was Nordstrom, but they only had D widths).

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I also appreciate the kind words. I love both shoes and want to continue this expensive habit. That is fantastic news about the Hopkinson. I may go ahead and just wait it out and see how much it gets discounted. I want to call and see if the South Coast Plaza location has anything in my size in stock.

I noticed you're in the LA area - have you been to the store? Are there any other places that carry numerous AE sizes? (The only place I've been to that has AE was Nordstrom, but they only had D widths).

Welcome -- good to have LA guy on here. Yes, I have been to the South Coast store many times. One of the employees there told me the Hopkinson will likely go on sale in October. Unfortunately, they do not usually stock the Hopkinson in SC store. I'm not sure if they are made to order, but they are made in much smaller quantities and I notice that if you order them on the website, it takes a month to receive them. I have not found any stores that carry lots of AE shoes in stock. You could always try department stores like Dillards, but I highly doubt they carry anything but D widths as well.

Lastly, if you have an American Express card, you might be able to get a 50 dollar discount on the Hopkinson. I'm not sure if they are doing this offer currently, but that would bring the price down if you bought seconds from 299 to 249 (when the seconds sale happens, the Hopkinson is 299). But if you are not a fan of seconds, I'd wait it out and see what sale they have.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you work in a business casual environment and only wear suits occasionally, I think you're well covered for the suits with your current selection.
I'd suggest trying something a little more casual with your next shoe. How about a blucher/derby style shoe? You could try the Leeds or Dundee, which are still pretty conservative. Or maybe you could find a pair of Lexingtons (recently discontinued, but there are still some on the Shoebank).

Hino

Reaction score
Welcome -- good to have LA guy on here. Yes, I have been to the South Coast store many times. One of the employees there told me the Hopkinson will likely go on sale in October. Unfortunately, they do not usually stock the Hopkinson in SC store. I'm not sure if they are made to order, but they are made in much smaller quantities and I notice that if you order them on the website, it takes a month to receive them. I have not found any stores that carry lots of AE shoes in stock. You could always try department stores like Dillards, but I highly doubt they carry anything but D widths as well.

Lastly, if you have an American Express card, you might be able to get a 50 dollar discount on the Hopkinson. I'm not sure if they are doing this offer currently, but that would bring the price down if you bought seconds from 299 to 249 (when the seconds sale happens, the Hopkinson is 299). But if you are not a fan of seconds, I'd wait it out and see what sale they have.
Just curious - what part of LA are you from? I wasn't sure if people knew the area, but I'm from Torrance. I figured LA covers enough ground where people know where it is haha. Good to hear about the store. At least it sounds like you have a good relationship with one of them. Unfortunately, no Amex, but I am definitely interested in the Hopkinson, firsts or seconds. Even better if I can get it at $299 for a second.

If you work in a business casual environment and only wear suits occasionally, I think you're well covered for the suits with your current selection.
I'd suggest trying something a little more casual with your next shoe. How about a blucher/derby style shoe? You could try the Leeds or Dundee, which are still pretty conservative. Or maybe you could find a pair of Lexingtons (recently discontinued, but there are still some on the Shoebank).
Thanks for the reply. I have really liked the Dundee, I've just never worn a chukka before. I would have loved to either see them in store or try them on, but again, having a really wide foot doesn't help the trying on part. Do the Dundees normally go on sale? Never really thought about the Leeds, but I saw the Lexingtons and they definitely piqued my interest. Like I've said, I want to try and visit an AE store and at least check out some shoes in person before I make my final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads