• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new acquisition from the 'bay: barely worn (once if that) Merlot Hopkinson. Was not really on my wish list but does fit a need in my lineup. The price was just too good to pass up. Also, I really like Indy shoes, so there's that.

Scarlet

Reaction score
I like the Flatiron. I have to use an insole with them due to the volume. A chukka version of the Flatiron would be nice, don't you think?
That would be absurd. I'd probably want a pair.
But then I think every shoe would be nicer as a chukka.
Except longwing chukkas. Those are abominable.

Quote:
Who did you contact to get them stretched? I wonder if they could do that for my Dundee 2s which are a bit cramped in the toe.

Dd1101

Reaction score

A new acquisition from the 'bay: barely worn (once if that) Merlot Hopkinson. Was not really on my wish list but does fit a need in my lineup. The price was just too good to pass up. Also, I really like Indy shoes, so there's that.

Great shoe, I have them in black. The leather on those is on par with most of my CJ shoes.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great shoe, I have them in black. The leather on those is on par with most of my CJ shoes.

These were originally seconds, due to poor finishing on the wheeled edge of the sole and the right toe cap. The toe cap is a bit too far forward on the outside of the right shoe; it initially bothered me but isn't that obvious (can't really tell in the photo above), and if I notice it in the future I'll associate it with saving like $400.

Hmmmm .... Crime of opportunity here, but how do your CJs for compared to AEs? I'm specifically thinking the Edgware, could compare to pretty much any AE shoe you choose, but Hopkinson would work. Edgwares are in my list since I can't fit a Cornwallis.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got my first pair of AE in the mail today from eBay. Barely worn Mcallisters in Bourbon.

Beautiful color and verify comfortable. I'm in love!

I immediately want to purchase a different pair in walnut now. Was initially thinking of Strand but now leaning towards the Mctavish or Mcgreggor.

Questions: what belt is intended to match the Mcallister?

Question 2: what shoe trees are you using? The ones I use for my Cole haans don't seem to fit properly and I can't get them fully in

1. Manistee, or possibly DuPont (I'd lean toward the latter for a strand, but either would work with a McAllister. If you don't want to match the brogueing, Dearborn is a nice belt.

2. I use woodlore epics and JAB. The JAB are a bit too big in the forefoot for my taste but the price can be very good. I usually add brass knobs to them, especially for boots. The woodlore epics are perfect IMO, but expensive.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Knick knack bourbon Mac, throwin Dan a bone...

Ok so it's not bourbon, and it's not "the worlds best rated whisky," as some of my Canadian friends have jokingly said, but this northern harvest stuff is good. Might have to better investigate this rye thing...

Rittenhouse is very good for the price. Bourbon is king, however.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing 11.5D PAs now. There is some space between the top of my foot and the vamp -- how is the creasing?

RtCI13P.jpg

f8tT0AX.jpg

What was your brannock again? Those look like a mediocre fit. I think you might need a smaller width and a longer size. You aren't filling the vamp.

Last edited:

AdironDoc

Reaction score
Stopped by the outlet this evening but they didn't have any Daltons in my size. They did, however, have McTavish in tan for $149, not factory seconds. The salesman noted many styles on sale, especially anything in Bourbon, a color he noted was being discontinued. Got a pair of tan McTavish for $149. Plenty of bourbon styles for $129. If I didn't have a bourbon McGregor I'd have bought a pair of everything. Tried the McTavish on with the free stockings. Amazingly comfortable, perhaps even more so than my McGregors and Neumoks. Couldn't say no.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knick knack bourbon Mac, throwin Dan a bone...

Ok so it's not bourbon, and it's not "the worlds best rated whisky," as some of my Canadian friends have jokingly said, but this northern harvest stuff is good. Might have to better investigate this rye thing...

It is an awesome thing to investigate. My recommendations: Whistle Pig 10 Year, Angel's Envy and E.H. Taylor 10 Year (those last two have bourbon counterparts that aren't nearly as good IMHO). There are LOTS of good ryes out there these days. The CR rye is damn good price-for-value.

Last edited:

danwatts2005

Reaction score
A couple of cleaning questions/observations: 1. What do you use on Rough Collection? I've seen that AE recommends Leather Lotion, but one AE salesman told me saddle soap.

2. I wear overshoes in the Chicago winter, and they always leave black dirty marks. I use Conditioner Cleaner to get rid of the marks, but now I have to polish them again. Is there a rubber overshoe or a way to polish that won't allow the marks to happen in the first place?

Thanks.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out the new Paramus outlet on my lunch break yesterday. Not sure if this was posted before, but the grand opening sale is 15% off non-clearance stuff. They seemed to be well stocked. I tried on a few things, but managed to make it out with my money still in pocket. Tried on some boots, but I guess I'm just not in a buying mode...

WTF! I emailed AE a week ago about the opening and they said they had no info yet. I really wanted to see if we could get a StyleForum meet up on opening day. Oh well, is anyone up for such an event? Figures I'm sort of busy the next few weeks, but I guess I can always push off real world stuff for shoe stuff. Some Saturday in March anyone???

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of cleaning questions/observations: 1. What do you use on Rough Collection? I've seen that AE recommends Leather Lotion, but one AE salesman told me saddle soap.

2. I wear overshoes in the Chicago winter, and they always leave black dirty marks. I use Conditioner Cleaner to get rid of the marks, but now I have to polish them again. Is there a rubber overshoe or a way to polish that won't allow the marks to happen in the first place?

Thanks.
1 Don't have any experience with the Rough collection.

2. Swims overshoes. They have a felt lining inside. Kinda pricey at $99 but I've gotten them on sale for 59.

redmusic1

Reaction score

Great grab!

22busy

Reaction score

Thanks.

I use saddle soap on my black McTavish and just brush. I use leather lotion on my black hills. Seems to work okay.

Thanks @coolarrow about the swims. I thought about picking up some totes on sale at JAB for $25, but I worried about marking my shoes. Nice to know about the felt lining on the swims. May be worth the extra $.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads