1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior Member

Knick knack bourbon Mac, throwin Dan a bone...

[​IMG]

Ok so it's not bourbon, and it's not "the worlds best rated whisky," as some of my Canadian friends have jokingly said, but this northern harvest stuff is good. Might have to better investigate this rye thing...

2. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

A new acquisition from the 'bay: barely worn (once if that) Merlot Hopkinson. Was not really on my wish list but does fit a need in my lineup. The price was just too good to pass up. Also, I really like Indy shoes, so there's that.
    [​IMG]

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior Member

That would be absurd. I'd probably want a pair.
    But then I think every shoe would be nicer as a chukka.
    Except longwing chukkas. Those are abominable.

Quote:
    Who did you contact to get them stretched? I wonder if they could do that for my Dundee 2s which are a bit cramped in the toe.

4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior Member

Great shoe, I have them in black. The leather on those is on par with most of my CJ shoes.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

These were originally seconds, due to poor finishing on the wheeled edge of the sole and the right toe cap. The toe cap is a bit too far forward on the outside of the right shoe; it initially bothered me but isn't that obvious (can't really tell in the photo above), and if I notice it in the future I'll associate it with saving like $400.

Hmmmm .... Crime of opportunity here, but how do your CJs for compared to AEs? I'm specifically thinking the Edgware, could compare to pretty much any AE shoe you choose, but Hopkinson would work. Edgwares are in my list since I can't fit a Cornwallis.

Edited for typo.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

6. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

+1

7. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

1. Manistee, or possibly DuPont (I'd lean toward the latter for a strand, but either would work with a McAllister. If you don't want to match the brogueing, Dearborn is a nice belt.

2. I use woodlore epics and JAB. The JAB are a bit too big in the forefoot for my taste but the price can be very good. I usually add brass knobs to them, especially for boots. The woodlore epics are perfect IMO, but expensive.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

Rittenhouse is very good for the price. Bourbon is king, however.

9. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

What was your brannock again? Those look like a mediocre fit. I think you might need a smaller width and a longer size. You aren't filling the vamp.

10. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

Stopped by the outlet this evening but they didn't have any Daltons in my size. They did, however, have McTavish in tan for $149, not factory seconds. The salesman noted many styles on sale, especially anything in Bourbon, a color he noted was being discontinued. Got a pair of tan McTavish for $149. Plenty of bourbon styles for $129. If I didn't have a bourbon McGregor I'd have bought a pair of everything. Tried the McTavish on with the free stockings. Amazingly comfortable, perhaps even more so than my McGregors and Neumoks. Couldn't say no.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

It is an awesome thing to investigate. My recommendations: Whistle Pig 10 Year, Angel's Envy and E.H. Taylor 10 Year (those last two have bourbon counterparts that aren't nearly as good IMHO). There are LOTS of good ryes out there these days. The CR rye is damn good price-for-value.

12. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

A couple of cleaning questions/observations: 1. What do you use on Rough Collection? I've seen that AE recommends Leather Lotion, but one AE salesman told me saddle soap.

2. I wear overshoes in the Chicago winter, and they always leave black dirty marks. I use Conditioner Cleaner to get rid of the marks, but now I have to polish them again. Is there a rubber overshoe or a way to polish that won't allow the marks to happen in the first place?

Thanks.

13. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

WTF! I emailed AE a week ago about the opening and they said they had no info yet. I really wanted to see if we could get a StyleForum meet up on opening day. Oh well, is anyone up for such an event? Figures I'm sort of busy the next few weeks, but I guess I can always push off real world stuff for shoe stuff. Some Saturday in March anyone???

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

1 Don't have any experience with the Rough collection.

2. Swims overshoes. They have a felt lining inside. Kinda pricey at $99 but I've gotten them on sale for 59.

15. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior Member

Great grab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.