1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Anyone know when the next Shoebank sale might be?, I have my eye on something.

4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Rocking the new Leiden today. One of my few that I actually paid retail for...kinda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

You won't get too much love on loafers here. I'm rocking with my Cody's today

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. mc2k

mc2k Well-Known Member

@NorseHorse

Strange that you and I happen to be wearing the same thing today, although mine aren't brand new[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm looking to add nothing but loafers for my next few pairs. They have really been growing on me lately. And those Cody's look awesome

1 person likes this.
  8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Traveling for work and things are a tad bit cooler than in Texas. Brown grain First Aves about as formal as I'm getting considering the circumstances.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

10. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Went home for lunch today and there were my new brown burnished McGregors waiting for me. Trying to decide if I like them or not. I guess I'm just not sure if the 65 last is right for a LWB. Dunno, it just seems a lot more sleek than I was expecting. The vamp seems really elongated. It's definitely dressier than I was expecting a more casual shoe to be. I held it up next to my oxblood Strands and it might be a touch longer, nothing noteworthy, but it's definitely narrower at the toe. They fit about the same width-wise, but it wears like a longer shoe.

I own a vintage pair of American Gentleman burgundy LWBs and something about their proportions seems "right" to me for lack of a better term. It's squatter and a bit wider with a double sole and allowed me to drop down 1/2 size. Maybe it's because it's the only LWB I've ever owned and that's my expectation. Or, maybe it's the color issue and brown is just not the right color for this one. I dunno. I'm missing a brown "dress" shoe in my rotation and was hoping this would fit the bill (I definitely work on the casual side of "business casual").

In a nutshell, I'm just babbling. The McGregor is different than what I was expecting. Now, I just need to decide if that different feel is a good thing or a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on the McGregor? Love it? Hate it? "Meh" it?

11. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Saw this and was definitely interested. However, I typically wear a 12A in the 65 last... Anyone think it would work?

12. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Wearing mine today @donkeyhoatie and love them. Same shoe size as my strands. I made the mistake, or brilliant choice, to get both in oxblood.

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

You can try hand degreaser on the soles. I've used it on the red gumite, and it works on Chuck Taylors. Just dab a little on a paper towel or clean shop rag, then rub the grime away. If they are really bad, used something with pumice like GoJo Orange. Not sure if it will get out yellowing, but people have also had success with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Edit: For the yellowing, I was referring to the degreaser. The eraser has some bleaching agents that may help with yellowing.

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

These look excellent

15. gjdgjdgjd

gjdgjdgjd Active Member

I picked up a pair of 'The City' last weekend I'm brown boxanil...can anyone tell me about this leather? Does not see to want to shine like most other AEs that I have. Anything special about this shoe?

16. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I could be completely wrong, but I think the original shoe care instructions on the AE site included conditioning only. I.e. the leather is in some sense a corrected or treated grain, to which polish will not adhere.

edit: The City in black is calf and takes polish.

17. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Fit is amazing, will be selling some of my 65 last and 201 last shoes now.

18. manowar

manowar Senior member

Here are my (unorthodox) thoughts... I have seen plenty of long-wings worn with suits and sportcoats in the southeast. I have owned two pairs of these, a Florsheim Kenmoor and now the brown McGregors. I would have worn the black grain Florsheims with a casual-ish shirt and tie or sport-coat at the most, though they worked best with dark khakis or wool pants. The McGregors certainly are a different cup of tea, and I think 99.5% of people wouldn't bat an eye at seeing them worn with a suit. Here's my compromise: I think the McGregors look perfect with dress pants and sport coat, and they would be too formal for all but the finest pair of jeans.

19. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I've been looking at the Sea Island loafers for some time because I want a for-summer suede loafer and they are perfect for that. But $300 for a casual loafer that can't be recrafted (as far as I can tell)? I'll probably pass. I keep checking the Shoe Bank from time to time but nothing in my size.

20. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Well, inflation has been under 2% and even under 1% the past several years but point taken. The issue I have is that I started getting into AE shoes about 2.5 years ago when they were $345. They then went to $365, then $385 and now $395. That's a nearly 15% increase in 2.5 years. That's significant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.