1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Yea. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale prices always beat the RDA Sale prices. Even Club Monoco had better sale prices earlier this week on their AE shoes.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Disappointed by these sale prices. Strand and PA for 335? Not good.

3. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

I hope she likes shoes. :) :)

1 person likes this.
  4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Not long ago that was retail price for AE. And I never pay retail price for AE.

So I sure won't be pulling the trigger on anything during this sale.

AE's growing divide between price and quality is causing me to look elsewhere as well. I haven't abandoned the brand one bit, but I suspect deals on seconds is what my purchases will be limited to.

5. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Their shell shoes are still reasonably priced.

1 person likes this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Agreed that their shell shoes are still worth it.

But their main line, and I'm not sure if they're doing well-business wise outside of the styleforum bubble, simply is not worth full retail price given their decline in QC and the emergence of so much competition in the 3-500$ range. Paying more than $300 for a normal AE shoe is something I just can't justify.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

But their selection is underwhelming.

Edit: sorry, I know this is the appreciation thread. I really do appreciate the brand, and it's what got me into quality footwear just like many of you.

2 people like this.
  8. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

If AE will ship the Shannon Drives (eBay ) to Canada, I think I'll pull the trigger.

But, I'm not sure what my size would be on a 201 blucher.

My McAllisters and Strands in 9E fit pretty much perfectly out of the box. I don't have a high instep, but what pushes me to an E (from my brannock D) is pressure on my pinky knuckles.

Given the whole shipping to Canada thing, I'd like to get it right on the first shot.

Would the same 9E be the best bet for the olive Shannon Drives? Or would open lacing on the 201 suggest going down in width to a 9D?

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Anyone want to sell their Amex "spend 300, get 90 back" offer? [​IMG]

10. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

expired 9/30

1 person likes this.
  11. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Yes, I bought a pair of Cordovan McNeils on that sale. They came all damaged with a box that had scotch tape wrapped over it. Not impressed with Club Monaco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look like AE seconds to me...what do you think?

12. TexasTexter

Used mine. Bought a pair of Blue Suede Leidens.

1 person likes this.
  13. TexasTexter

If you think that's bad the new COLE HAAN Washingtons are $400 and on sale $325 and they are made in India. I shipped mine back promptly. Can't compare to AE in terms of quality. I will admit I love the casual shoes which have cool designs so I have about 60 pair of various (I always buy on $ale) ones my favorite being the Zer0Grand and 2.0Grand. which I have in almost every color they make. ...but they can't hold a candle to Allen Edmonds in a dress shoe, I wore my CH Wholecut Oxfords when I was doing a lot of walking at work and they killed my feet. This would have been a day to wear a Strand! LOL. The lesson for me is stick with AE for dress shoes and wear the CH on weekend errands. I get that $300 for any shoe is expensive but I have learned if you wait long enough they all go on sale eventually, the only problem with that is will they have your size when they do?. It's a risk I am willing to take.

14. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

One of the nice things about AE (and Carmina) is that they have only a few price points, unlike Alden, C&J, etc. I hate trying to figure out why Alden A costs $12 more than Alden B, which costs $19 more than Alden C.

15. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Senior member

Bump

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

16. TexasTexter

I am not sure....that's tough. Do you think they are all that way? Maybe from where the boots stack on top in the box rubbing? I'm stumped.

17. TexasTexter

What would you do????

18. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

For that price? Probably keep them. Well below regular seconds pricing, wasn't it?

19. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

When does this year's RDA sale start?

20. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

True. ZeroGrands and Lunargrands are super comfortable and worth it only on sale. I got a pair of brown Zerogrand wingtips at Nordstrom Rack for $55! Not AE quality but still a big steal for that price. They're one of my favorite shoes for weekend wear when I have to do a lot of walking.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.