1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I have no idea what this refers to, but I up-voted it, because..... shell.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Sorry - can't find your earlier thing. Another thing I noticed regarding those NR styles you mentioned on the shoebank. They use 4 digits for welts & 5 for handsewns, but did you notice some of those NR things don't have the "S" on the end now? Meaning they are 1sts but maybe produced for the shoebank outlets only? Just speculating.

1 person likes this.
  3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it. I'm not a fan of two harsh contrasting colors - as much as I like the idea of a spectator, the Broadstreet pattern is too much for me. To a different degree I was never a big fan of these webgem neumok 1.0 makeups. But this isn't bad. I would have loved a lot more red but from the web pic, I concluded I'd have to see this in person. I would have loved it if they made "The Luci" - all burnished red instead of mostly brown.

Found it somewhat interesting they used the Strandmok platform on this - that seems like it's here to stay and the Neumok 1.0 is truly gone now, sad. No more jingle mok I guess.

4. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

For some reason I wasnt a big fan of the original brown strandmok (although I saw a guy in the grocery store yesterday with them on, and they actually looked great), but Im really digging the rudolph...couple of small quibbles 1) i wish they has given it a different name, and 2) the "burnishing" doesnt transition as smoothly between colors as it did on the original brown strandmok...cool looking shoe though

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Wearing the BB x AE Shaker Heights on this rainy morning.

Haven't had a chance to clean/polish them up - I threw some trees in them and put them in a box after their last wear back in March or so.

Regardless, still probably the most comfy boot I own (well, second, behind the Long Branch).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

[​IMG]

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again. My 12+ year old Macneil shell. For about 8 years, I never conditioned it and would just give it a brushing. I expect this pair to outlast me. My 10 year old calfskins don't look half as good. Shell wears like iron. Knowing how these behave, I happily pay the premium for shell cordovan. I have to say that my more recent MacNeil shell (in black) isn't as well constructed as my old Macneils. The employees at AE aren't as experienced or aren't as conscientious about stitching or cutting patterns these days. Some say shell cordovan doesn't breathe as well as calf, but my feet are far more comfortable in shell with the double leather soles than with calfskin leather shoes and non-breathable soles (like Dainite or Vibram lugs).

5 people like this.
  7. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I think they look great but I've realized I don't own enough to tans/browns/light grey so I mainly wear them with Denim. I solved this problem though by going pants shopping :)

1 person likes this.
  8. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Went all out for my final blue/gray/grey combo
    [​IMG]
    Even wearing Bleu de Chanel.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Wearing my oldest AE shoes today - my 26 year old burgundy McAllisters
    [​IMG]

Chris

9 people like this.
  10. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Spoke to a SA associate about this and he stated that the jingle bell mok will be back this year and that it has been a very popular seller.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Are those polished cob? If you don't mind me asking, what is the insole pattern on those?

[​IMG]

Did you buy those new?

1 person likes this.
  12. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

I received my pair of 5th Aves from Dabondo, and I now understand why they were returned. There is a substantial lump under the forward part of the right foot, just behind the toes.
    How much compression can someone expect from the cork in this shoe?
    The shoes were only $100 so I am inclined to live with it and hope it gets better with some serious usage. the other aspects of the shoes are quite good, and the fit is otherwise fine. They look to have been worn once around the block, and then returned.
    Thanks for any info.
    EJF

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

The Hopkinsons that I bought from him had a similar issue, but luckily the lump seems to fit right under where my toes curl over. I flattened it out some by inserting a hefty shoe stretcher and slamming the shoe onto my a hard surface. I hardly notice it now.

14. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

I have the same issue with the McAllister 2nds I picked up. I ordered 5 shoes and 3 are being returned for one fit/function issue or another.

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Model 6275 and per the 1990 Fall AE Catalog they are polished cobbler. Yes I bought them new - actually they were a Christmas present from my wife so she bought them new. Here is the insole [​IMG] Chris

16. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black McGregors for a bit of a rainy Thursday. Stripes on the shirt are green but I don't think it comes through.

1 person likes this.
  17. Wrong Crowd

Wrong Crowd Senior member

What is this group's feeling on Maxfields?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the terrible, terrible picture quality, I'm just trying to show you what I'm pairing it with- blue/white microcheck van Laack shirt, brown Trafalgar belt, and Banana Republic chinos. I feel like this outfit would have gone well with Achesons with no socks, if the weather was warmer, and if I owned a pair of Achesons.

18. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

Have to give my black PAs some love after showing off my Cornwallis yesterday. I hope to pickup some Walnut Strands during the Nordstrom anniversary sale next year.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Wrong Crowd I'm a fan of the Maxfield (even though it's brother the rye is nicer to me). If it works really well for you, consider gambling on the Lowry - there's a chance the stitch under the vamp will bother you but on the off chance it doesn't, it's practically being given away.

20. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

New here.

I just got my 12th pair or AE yesterday the Shannon Drive that I picked up off the AE ebay store for $119.00 free shipping too.

Initially the fit is great I can see that this will be a very comfy pair right out of the gate. I have to say most of my AE's are seconds bought from the shoebank. This Shannon Drive is actually a first quality pair that AE put on ebay as a blow out price.

That said I am a real big AE fan and this being my first pair for firsts I have bought from AE I am a little disappointed in the quilty. Like I said all my other pairs are seconds and none of those 11 pair of seconds has as many of what I think are flaws.

In a few areas the stitching seems to be out of alignment to me at least it is not as good as all my other 11 seconds and this is a first. This is my first pair of this dull olive color but it seems to have a lot of streaks in the color. I don't think this is normal I don't see it on any online pics.

Take a look at a few photos of some of the issues I only posted the most obvious ones there are actually several others that are more subtle.

Listen overall a pair of AE's brand new from AE for $119 I really can't complain. If I had paid full price these would have most certainly been returned. But really I wanted a pair of more casual shoes for the weekend so at this price point I think it will work even with the flaws.

The only reason I even think these are flaws is because not a one of my AE seconds has anything like this and this being a first I would expect it to be at the least equal. But maybe I should let AE know just so they know that these flaws are making it past QC.

Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from a few feet away they do look nice. I added the laces they came with light tan laces. I may put them back I am a little on the fence about the green laces.

Opinions?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.