Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I gotta say, I'm not a casual sneaker guy, nor can i afford to drop 250 on a non re-craftable shoe; but I really like the Brisbane in walnut design; and I would purchase if I was a little wealthier. I might have to go look for a leather sneaker now.

2. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

You know, J&M has some decent (and some atrocious) sneakers in leather or suede. About half the price of the Brisbane and Cheetah. For that price point, it needs to be either recraftable (probably can't be done with a sneaker sole) or made in the US (as Rancourt does for only marginally more expensive). I'll stick with my Pumas.

3. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I've gotten 2 belts from him. One new, one used. Would definitely buy again. I think he's a great seller and don't be afraid to make an offer on his shoes. He came down significantly on a pair for me, but I just couldn't swing it at the time. I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to do business with him.

4. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Member

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Great seller, bought my Maritimes and a shell belt from him. I follow him in case anything of interest pops up.

6. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

$40 eBay find for Friday: burgundy shell MacNeils

[​IMG]

Also just ordered some lightly worn burgundy shell Graysons for $110 on eBay

[​IMG]

The seller didn't know they were shell... they actually mentioned some bloom on the shoes without knowing what it was: "(photo shows a white powdery substance on tassel but that easily wiped off)". They must have been sitting in a closet for a few decades, because the retail price on the shoe box was only $335.

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    What brand of navy polish do you use and where can you get it? Those are looking sweet.

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks, @smfdoc ! I am slowly building my confidence up with my polishing/burnishing skills. Figure these old "beaters" are the perfect practice pair.

They initially had AE walnut (out of the tube) - but I didn't like the orange direction they were headed. I hit them once with the old AE chili and that helped. Since then it has been a few alternating coats of AE dark chili (tube) and Meltonian cognac. For the toe and broguing areas I use light coats of Meltonian navy and brush with my black brush. (Ironically, I very rarely wear black shoes, but do have a need for a black brush/polishing cloth. So whenever that happens I re-polish the same pair of old black boots that never get worn.)

I think it is also worth mentioning that a couple layers of Bick 4 prior to polishing really helps add that "pop."

9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Good, now you need to perfect your @peppercorn78 pose. Like this. Notice the coffee. (not me of course, and a shot of some GREAT shoes.)

[​IMG]

10. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

@tmchow I haven't noticed any sizing issues in regard to AE belts being unusually short or long. I'll typically go one size higher with my belt size (with all belt brands) and this suits me just as fine with AE as it does with other brands.

I'll add that im far from an expert in AE belt cuts so perhaps others with more knowledge would care to chime in......

11. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

1. Walnut Mcgregor
    2. Chili Mcgregor
    3. Walnut Rogue

Which do you recommend. Many business casual, slacks and sport coats, occasionally with a suit.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Both are brougued bluchers, so I do not think there is much difference in the level of formality. The Rogue is a leather sole, as is the McGregor, unless you opt for the Dainite in the McGregor, so they are both equal in that respect. Given this, the main difference is the color. The walnut Rogue, which I own, is not as versatile with multiple colors, IMO. I would choose the chili McGregor just because I think it works with more colors and it is also great looking.

13. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

For versatility, I'd take the chili over walnut any day.

14. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,... 
    Interesting you feel the walnut isn't versatile. I have walnut Mcallister and I get a lot of wear out of them. Maybe it's the brogue that makes them look/feel darker. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Walnut Rutledges on a rare non-casual* Friday:
    [​IMG]
    The weird thing is, these fit totally different than my new University in the same size. Much looser fit. I swear the past year or so they've been lasting the shoes much tighter.

*ok, walnut makes it semi-casual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.