1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

And yet, the Dalton always looks so sleek to me; I'd prefer it with trousers and an odd jacket, but wouldn't be offended by someone wearing it with a suit.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Dalton sleek? Compared to what? Super round toe, double sole, brass eyelets, full brogue. Pretty darn casual! Works best with chunky fabrics, odd jacket / trews. Jeans too.

To me, sleek is Edward Green 82 last, John Lobb 7000, Alden Aberdeen, Carmina Simpson, Bonafe 946, anything by Gaziano and Girling. AE's sleekest last is the 108, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

@peppercorn78, well, compared to the Higgins Mill, I suppose. I know intellectually that every detail is casual, but they always look so elongated in pictures I see posted here. Fair warning: I've never seen them in person. I mean, gun to my head the AE open-laced boots I'm wearing with a suit are the First Aves.

1 person likes this.
  4. peppercorn78

That would be a much better choice.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Well, Dalton is sleeker compared to Alden Barrie (specially in medium and narrow widths). But I get your point that it has all the features to make it casual. I had it for some time in Bourbon calf but then had to sell it because it never looked right either with casual attire ( jeans/chinos) or business casual ( trousers/odd jacket)..

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

If I recall correctly, the Fifth Street is an Oxford boot. If it were a punch cap, like its cousin the Fifth Avenue, i.e. Without the toe medalian, I think I'd already own a pair for suits. I might get a pair anyway.

It's rare, though, on days I need a boot for weather reasons that I'd also need a suit rather than an odd jacket and tie. On those occasions I've worn either some "polished cobbler" McAllisters I mistook for shell ((before I knew better) or some shell punch caps from BBxAlden. If super nasty, my burg Eagle Country (from the GMTO) open lace, but plain stitchcap, would work in a pinch. It is truly the most versitile boot I own.

7. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I have shoes with Dainite for bad weather days (treated suede Strands), but if it's truly nasty enough, I wear Le Chameau rain boots or (if it's cold) Bean Boots, then just change at the office. But I really don't have to leave my office, so it's only been necessary a couple times.

1 person likes this.
  8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

The Dalton is also "sleeker" (not best choice of words) to my mind than similar boots like CJ Skye and Islay and Alden WTB. Something about the shape and slope of the wing, against a comparatively large expanse of vamp.

I love my Fifth Streets (see yesterday's pic), but I agree, there aren't many occasions where it's clearly better than an Oxford AND a dedicated foul-weather boot. But it makes me feel fancy :)

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

1 person likes this.
  10. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Senior member

[​IMG]
    Post church Brown McAllister Brunch

3 people like this.
  11. farscape105

farscape105 New Member

[​IMG]
    Just want to see if this is a defect on a new pair of Mcallister's. I am a long time lurker at styleforum and this is my first post. I am now in a financial position to upgrade my wardrobe. Thanks to styleforum I have started buying Edmond's and just put order in at MTM Black Label for a suit. I just ordered the merlot Mcallisters from their clearance. In the picture you can see the side of the sole is not a smooth cut and stitching seems awfully close to the edge. Is this normal enough to not worry about it or should I return them? I ordered a 12D and it seems to fit really well, ball of foot is right at widest point and no heel slip. I am 2 hours away to a store in Minneapolis and hope get there this week to be fitted to make sure. I would like to order more in the upcoming Oct sale. Thanks!

[​IMG]

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Not a defect in any way. Enjoy your shoes.

1 person likes this.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Figure I'll ask here before reaching out to AE:

Does anyone know the actual difference in Widths vs General size increases for AE (specifically the 5 last?)

For example, is a 8.5 EE wider than a 9E? Im assuimg when a shoe increases in size (8.5 -> 9) there is also a slight increase in width. Im wondering what width difference is moving down one half overall size. Currently own a 9E but have decided it is slightly too long for my foot. Width is good, maybe slightly on the narrow side, and am wondering if a 8.5 EE would give me better length with a bit more width than a 9E.

1 person likes this.
  14. farscape105

farscape105 New Member

Great Thanks!! I am like a kid in candy store. I bought some belts and boat shoes and looking at buying some Shreveport and blue Neumonks, which my girlfriend loves which surprised me. Also, maybe some boots for winter. It looks like they are reducing the number of colors for consistency.

Should I buy a couple tubes of merlot polish or will they probably continue to carry it for awhile? Also, I searched and can't find answer why the conditioner/cleaner is not available on Amazon or Edmond's site?

1 person likes this.
  15. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

Looking for some sizing help here. 11d fits great in PA, Ashton, Wilbert and Carlyle. But in these Flatiron's, its seems about .25" too long in the ball area. Also, the toe box sticks out an extra .5" more than I'd like. I'm considering going down to a 10.5e, but am afraid the tow box might be too tight. I tested this by pushing my foot into the shoe where I feel the ball of my foot should rest, and my toes feel squished. Would a 10.5e be a similar width as a 11d?

[​IMG]

PS. My big toe ends right at the large left medallion hole.

16. peppercorn78

I'll say the 511 is "less bulbous" than Alden Barrie or Country Last's like EG 64. But the definition of sleek in footwear is contoured and form-fitting.

17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Interesting comments. I always thought the 65 last was the most sleek, because it is more narrow than the 108. Both of them work well for my skinny feet.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
  19. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

A bit late, but as promised: Brown Shell Cornwallis pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  20. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'd bought these walnut Daltons on the shoe bank a while back because I couldn't pass them up at $200, but rarely wore them because I didn't need ANOTHER pair of walnut. So I stripped and re-dyed them in mahogany. I'll wear these a lot more.

If anyone wants step by step... Just let me know. Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

11 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.