• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

PbgGuy

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of AE in the mail today from eBay. Barely worn Mcallisters in Bourbon.

Beautiful color and verify comfortable. I'm in love!

I immediately want to purchase a different pair in walnut now. Was initially thinking of Strand but now leaning towards the Mctavish or Mcgreggor.

Questions: what belt is intended to match the Mcallister?

Question 2: what shoe trees are you using? The ones I use for my Cole haans don't seem to fit properly and I can't get them fully in
Just got a new pair of McAllisters in merlot and matched them with the Manistee belt:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...F74011.html?dwvar_SF74011_color=74006#start=2

Given they are phasing out the bourbon, your choice in AE belts may be dwindling (im guessing). I did see a discounted Manistee in bourbon on the shoebank site (size 38) the other day and I spoke to a SA at one of the outlets who told me they still have the basic dress belt in bourbon. Hopefully others will give you more options.....

eagleman

Reaction score

First time poster. Long time reader. Casual Friday with my new Boones

bathiel

Reaction score
Finally decided to see for myself why people love their AEs. Now I know. Last month I got 2 pair of seconds. One was to be for khakis and slacks, the others, for jeans. I actually wear them both with slacks or jeans and find they both work for business casual. Interestingly, the McGregors were roomy and super comfy right out of the box. The McTavish, on the other hand, fit quite snug and rubbed a bit with thin dress socks. They loosened up now but being unlined, I still find MTs are not quite as comfortable as the MGs. Same size, same last. Go figure. Anyway, can't wait to go summer sockless with MTs. I've lost count how many compliments I've gotten from complete strangers but I'd say more the MTs. Maybe its the bold contrast stitching combined with the layered brogue look. Anyway, I'm loving them! Was considering a pair of Daltons but there were no sales. I snapped up a pair of Grenson Freds in calfskin. Completely different look and feel. Big, chunky, roomy. A bit more like a construction boot. I'm thinking, maybe I should have stuck with the Daltons.

I have both the Fred and the Dalton (in walnut and oxblood) and think you're right. The Dalton is definitely sleeker and more refined than the Fred. That said, I like them both.

Bernie

ultravisitor

Reaction score
The sneakers are a bit more expensive than I'd like. Still, I think I'm going to swing by a store to check them out. I like the Brisbane.

Last edited:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm learning the AE pose (I think.) Black dundees for a Friday

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dusted off the Fenway long wings today. I've been debating selling these, as they just don't get worn much. They are my only LWBs, so I've always held on to them until I can replace with a newer model. These were originally walnut, but have a had a few coats of dark chili and cognac, plus navy on the toe. I'm thinking a few more coats of navy and these will be ready...

catlettsl

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,...

1af96c3cd1d291b26d30d18f132c7556.jpg

Has anyone purchased from the seller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the quick replies! Does anyone know where he sources his shoes from? Thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Middlife

Reaction score
Hi All,

New college grad to the workforce, entering public accounting. Big fan of AEs and was wondering if anyone could give me input on what models to go for next.

I have Black PAs, Dark Brown PAs, and Bourbon Strands. Only wearing the Black PAs for formal events - have been rotating the Dark Brown PAs and Strands, however the Dark Browns are somewhat formal imo and maybe a bit darker than I originally preferred, after thinking about them now that I've owned for a while and been wearing them to work.

My dress code is professional business casual, dress shirt and a slacks - don't need a suit or tie. I typically wear nice navy/charcoal slacks for bottoms.

I was thinking of going for Fifth Aves - but can't decide between Brown, Bourbon, or Chili. Not sure if the Fifth Ave Brown is just as dark as the Dark Brown PAs. Also not sure if I should get two pairs of shoes in Bourbon, and then for Chili I just don't know if it's versatile enough as some of the pictures I have seen look quite red.

Definitely want to throw another pair into my rotation, just looking for a versatile suggestion. Is the Fifth Ave the way to go, and if so what color do you think? Open to any other recommendations as well. Cheers

I agree with the general consensus so far. Chili seems to be one of the most versatile colors not currently in your rotation and does work with navy/charcoal. The long wing blutcher is also a good idea as you have enough balmorals/captoes and you can rock a LWB with slacks. The McGregor or Macneil should fit the bill depending on size availability and your price range.

tmchow

Reaction score

Just got a new pair of McAllisters in merlot and matched them with the Manistee belt:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...F74011.html?dwvar_SF74011_color=74006#start=2

Given they are phasing out the bourbon, your choice in AE belts may be dwindling (im guessing). I did see a discounted Manistee in bourbon on the shoebank site (size 38) the other day and I spoke to a SA at one of the outlets who told me they still have the basic dress belt in bourbon. Hopefully others will give you more options.....

Thanks for the reply.

One question on belt sizing. I'm a 30 waist size in jeans and normally buy a 34 belt in casual belts.

Are AE belts sized differently so I should stick to their reco of being a 32? Or are their belts the same size as other belts and I should stick with my usual 34?

Nolaman

Reaction score
Dusted off the Fenway long wings today. I've been debating selling these, as they just don't get worn much. They are my only LWBs, so I've always held on to them until I can replace with a newer model. These were originally walnut, but have a had a few coats of dark chili and cognac, plus navy on the toe. I'm thinking a few more coats of navy and these will be ready...

Those are looking nice!

Dd1101

Reaction score

I'm definitely picking these up next RDA sale!

You will love them, but will be afraid to wear them
1f62c.png
. I keep a extra pair of brown shoes in the car or shoe covers when I will wear these.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look good, keep them. More and more I am considering navy polish for my non-black shoes, it seems like most people prefer it over black polish "burnishing". I am in the process of turning an old pair of Cole Haans into a bourbon, with black and AE bourbon polishes. The blue sets of the cognac very well though.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a sweet pair of Strandmoks on ebay for $80 that look practically new. I went with my standard 5 last size (which is a bit snug on me), will these still fit? If not... I guess I'll insole them for that price.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Snuff Suede Neumoks today.......

redmusic1

Reaction score
I gotta say, I'm not a casual sneaker guy, nor can i afford to drop 250 on a non re-craftable shoe; but I really like the Brisbane in walnut design; and I would purchase if I was a little wealthier. I might have to go look for a leather sneaker now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads