• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate the quick reply. Thats weird because everyone I've talked to has said Strands are not dressy enough. I love monks but worry if they are dressed up enough.
Also thr soles on Moras are painted black aren't they?

A couple things:

1) congrats on the wedding!
2) the Strand is less dressy than the Park Ave, but definitely more dressy than the Mora or St John. If it were me, I would go with the PA, but if between the Strand and Mora, definitely the Strand
3) I have bourbon Mora's, and the soles weren't painted

Also, since this is page 666, even if this is the AE thread, I think it's only appropriate that someone post a pic of the Alden Devil's Loafers here lol.

mingus2112

Reaction score

Best SA ever (Vincenzo from PW) couldn't believe he would ever hear 222 last and comfort shoes used in the same sentence :rotflmao:

Is Vincenzo still around? I dealt with him a lot a few years ago. Haven't heard from him lately!

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@vince24L , congrats on the wedding!

To build on what @MattRiv and @orange fury have mentioned, a monk would not be my first choice. Maybe as a guest, in certain settings, but not for a groom's shoe. I'd shoot for something more formal, something that will blend in rather than stand out. The Strand or McA (slightly less formal than Strand) could be formal enough - or, are certainly more formal than any monk.

Also, a couple of warnings about the bourbon color:
I think a primary reason for the color being discontinued was tiger striping. Many 2nds (even 1sts) have this issue. Some have had luck covering this up with polish, others haven't. Also, the color is a burnish on top of walnut, so keeping the same color is difficult.

Lastly, sometimes the color can have yellow or green undertones, which can sometimes look "sickly" to me. IMO, this can make it harder to pair with certain colors (really only goes great with charcoal, grey, and darker navy). Your suit looks to be on the lighter side of the navy spectrum, so the merlot might pair better.

Last edited:

vince24L

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards the Mora for a groom but maybe I am wrong here. I definitely won't be going with the burbon but I felt the brown Mora would look good with the modern look or the lighter blue suit. Maybe its just not as appropriate as the groom should be more classic?

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards the Mora for a groom but maybe I am wrong here. I definitely won't be going with the burbon but I felt the brown Mora would look good with the modern look or the lighter blue suit. Maybe its just not as appropriate as the groom should be more classic?

The opinions that you'll get here are going to be very traditional, hence the push towards a stitch cap like the Park Avenue for such an occasion as your wedding. I'm probably on the more modern side of the spectrum when it comes to pairing shoes with an outfit and I'm still not sure I'd wear a monk to my own wedding, although that comes with the caveat that I don't own a pair and really don't care for the style, so you can take that with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day, it's your wedding, so wear whatever you want!

I just wanted to point out the insane deal on the merlot shoes that I listed. If it were me, that's where I would look.

Last edited:

vince24L

Reaction score
The opinions that you'll get here are going to be very traditional, hence the push towards a stitch cap like the Park Avenue for such an occasion as your wedding. I'm probably on the more modern side of the spectrum when it comes to pairing shoes with an outfit and I'm still not sure I'd wear a monk to my own wedding, although that comes with the caveat that I don't own a pair and really don't care for the style, so you can take that with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day, it's your wedding, so wear whatever you want!

I just wanted to point out the insane deal on the merlot shoes that I listed. If it were me, that's where I would look.

Can you please link me to merlot deal. Thanks.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its "Throwback Thursday" and I pulled out the "Passengers," one of AEs least successful spectator shoes. Rubber soled, black and tan, but oh so comfy.

amphillips79

Reaction score

Help needed:
I am getting married in 2 months and cant stand my current shoes with this suitsuppy suit I will be wearing:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...v1=Blue&prefn2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Napoli

My current shoed are too light of a color so I waned more of a brown than walnut.
At first I was sold on the St. Johns but $400 is my high point of my budget. Then I figured I'd go with Mora 2nds. Well on ShoeBank the brown Moras in my size are still $300..where as the burbons are $177. Why is this? Should I just spend the extra $100 for chili st. Johns or moras and save money for matching belt?

Also are returns accepted for shoebank shoes?
And also are the Moras true to size or run big?
Much appreciated! I've been reading through this thread for days.

For a wedding I would go a little more formal than a monk strap. I really think the dark chili cornwallis would look pretty awesome.

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen...sonalizedsort&fashioncolor=DARK CHILI LEATHER

That gets you a pair of firsts and you'll have plenty for a matching belt.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another installment of "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Back to the Madison Parks today. I must need another pair of walnut shoes. Being a wing tip enthusiast, I am thinking McAllister. However, to avoid another domestic dispute like the one that erupted last night, prudence dictates that I make do with my modest collection for a while. Going to assume sleeper cell status until at least the RDA sale... I hope.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple things:

1) congrats on the wedding!
2) the Strand is less dressy than the Park Ave, but definitely more dressy than the Mora or St John. If it were me, I would go with the PA, but if between the Strand and Mora, definitely the Strand
3) I have bourbon Mora's, and the soles weren't painted

Also, since this is page 666, even if this is the AE thread, I think it's only appropriate that someone post a pic of the Alden Devil's Loafers here lol.

Illumanti

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help needed:
I am getting married in 2 months and cant stand my current shoes with this suitsuppy suit I will be wearing:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...v1=Blue&prefn2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Napoli

My current shoed are too light of a color so I waned more of a brown than walnut.
At first I was sold on the St. Johns but $400 is my high point of my budget. Then I figured I'd go with Mora 2nds. Well on ShoeBank the brown Moras in my size are still $300..where as the burbons are $177. Why is this? Should I just spend the extra $100 for chili st. Johns or moras and save money for matching belt?

Also are returns accepted for shoebank shoes?
And also are the Moras true to size or run big?
Much appreciated! I've been reading through this thread for days.

Congrats! Google the topic and read up. I got married about 2 years ago and found a wide range of advice beforehand about shoes.

The advice I chose, was essentially, all attention should be on the bride, my shoes should not be noticed.

So, I wore black Park Avenues.

Following similar advice, a conservative brown shoe also would draw little attention. Bourbon is not conservative, and Moras request everyone's attention if only briefly. :)

vince24L

Reaction score
This is the suit I will be wearing. Awaiting a size up then tailoring of course.
https://imgur.com/a/utWzz

I think merlot would be too flashy for this suit as its a bit bright already..
Opinions?

tkebh979

Reaction score
This is the suit I will be wearing. Awaiting a size up then tailoring of course.
https://imgur.com/a/utWzz

I think merlot would be too flashy for this suit as its a bit bright already..
Opinions?

Brown, burnished Park Avenue.

Merlot could work, but I agree... more flashy than the burnished brown. I'd be more concerned about a merlot belt with that getup, if you're concerned about detracting visual attention from your young bride.

Also, brown Park Aves were my first big boy shoes and they survived the thrice-weekly (ok, probably 5 times a week) wearing when it was my only big boy shoe. Brush, condition, tree, repeat.

After ~5 years, they are now the Tim Duncan of my rotation. I want to get a much life out of them as possible, so I play them much less (twice a month) than before, and probably not in high-pressure situations. They've also aged remarkably well. Almost a milk chocolate color now, along with my wide dress belt in the same color.

Edit: Liriano and Melancon... Cutch down for a week... what are the bucs doing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads