1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

My brown/white longwing spectators definitely grab peoples' attention. They are by far the most often complimented pair I own. If you're not ok with this kind of attention, I agree steering clear is a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I found it interesting to think back on certain "categories" (for lack of a better term) that I've either had to warm up to over time or haven't gotten past yet. Some of these definitely make no sense even to me but I figured I'd share anyway.

1. For some reason, loafers were never a problem - kiltie & tassel, weave, wing, medallion, I'll do anything you can throw at it no problem.
    2. Wingtips and Medallions on balmorals / bluchers - took a while but I'm all in now. Started off only with casuals but ok with dressy now too.
    3. Weaves on bamorals & bluchers - I'm willing to give them a try. Definitely at the beginning wasn't a fan.
    4. Wings & Medallions on all black shoes - for some reason I had a problem with this but have come around. I think with the black you lose that burnishing and other subtle color effects though.
    5. "Louder" offerings like oxblood & walnut - these were never a problem for me.
    6. Black uppers against contrasting soles - if I accept them as casual shoes, I'm good.
    7. White soles - still have trouble with this but I'm not 100% against it anymore.
    8. Monks with medallions - not yet :( Too busy.
    9. spectators - not yet :(

2 people like this.
  3. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I was asked to say a few words at our September 11 Remembrance Ceremony.
    These were my words:

Two towers
    9-11
    Numbers. I'm an engineer. I like numbers.
    But these aren't numbers. These are human lives. Today is about human life.
    On September 11, 2001, there was a coordinated terrorist attack. 2977 people lost their lives as a result of this, of which 412 were first responders.
    9 EMTs
    70 law enforcement officers
    343 firefighters
    These first responders gave their lives on that day, as they courageously did their jobs. Today we remember and honor these first responders.
    Our community is served by our own first responders. Today we also recognize the courage and dedication of these men and women. They are the ones who risk their lives as they serve us. And for this, we are all grateful.
    So on this fifteenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks, let us reflect not only on those who lost their lives on that day, but also on those who risk their lives every day that they go to work for us. Please join me in acknowledging our appreciation.
    Thank you.

(And these were my shoes:)
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  4. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Good words, mreams99. I couldn't add any more to that.

(Also your Flatirons are gorgeous.)

5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Woah, the Union is gone already. Like someone said, they were almost like a straight to DVD movie.

1 person likes this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

@Neo1. Same here. And I think for every compliment there may be two people rolling their eyes and thinking, "good grief."

Having said that, they're not as rare down here in the South as some might think. I saw a pair or two on Easter Sunday. And they're a good choice for outdoor social events in spring/summer.

But, they aren't for everyone. I think they make white bucks seem tame in comparison.

7. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

So glad I was able to get some flatirons before they became completely extinct

3 people like this.
  8. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Brown Cavanaughs for church today:
    [​IMG]

The socks matched my Belted Cow surcingle and Vineyard Vines bow tie.

2 people like this.
  9. orange fury

Forgot to respond to this earlier. My first pair was a pair of black Boardrooms, a little over a year ago. I only had two pairs of Cole Haan bit loafers at that point, and needed to get the basic black interview/formal shoe- I had a buddy working at JAB that was able to give me a discount on it that was even better than a PA at Shoebank. I bought two more pairs at extreme discount from him as well- the walnut McClains and burgundy Nathans.

Still wear that shoe.

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Finally decided to get dressed today and go get a sandwich.

[​IMG]

No (show) socks.

2 people like this.
  11. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I wanted to just vent on this while it was still fresh in my mind. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions, this is just mine. Feel free to disagree.

As incredible as the Higgins turned out, three things were a real letdown for me -

1. I was a HUGE fan of the original Neumok. It was like it did everything right. I really really wanted to like the Neumok 2.0 - I was so excited for its release and am so disappointed by the result. On the CXL (colors I saw) - the colors look strange. They always touted the McTavish as this casual down version of the McAllister but it was different enough I never thought of it that way. I feel like the Neumok 2.0 now represents something much closer to a casual McA. The original looked like something really unique, this just doesn't. The stitching used on the upper is much darker and doesn't stand out as much, but at the same time, the welt is way lighter. Up close, I don't know what it is, but they just look "cheap" - I can't explain it. The black and brown looked very very nice to me, but the more I looked at them, the more I thought - would I really choose these over an overlord? In addition to an overlord? Why? We'll see - I really want to like this style but so far I'm having trouble.

2. That "weekend country" trio - I should have been all over that thousand oaks - that thing had my name written all over it. but WTH happened? They replaced my beloved mini-lug with this soft lightweight "thing", made the shoe overall very lightweight, and used a full lug that is quite exposed and visible in profile view. It was like they started with the Big Sur and/or Aberdeen and destroyed everything that made those so good. Very disappointed with this one. I had really high hopes here.

3. Finally, the sequoia. I thought, ok, another iteration of the Duke / Flagstaff, should be good. What is this thing, like a pair of skechers? They have some nerve charging 195 for this - should be max. of 125 and even that's high.

I think that was the last of the new styles for the fall / winter. Happy to see a return of the McGraw - great shoes if you can fit them. The SFO is an interesting choice - the Lincoln and Eugene weren't too good and fit me horribly so this one is off my radar but for a road warrior it might be good. Finally the expanded oak street does look very good if you're into 65 lasted casual plain toed bluchers (which I'm just not).

Sorry for the Debbie downer, but I'm done now. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

1 person likes this.
  12. orange fury

I actually agree on all three. I'm in love with my McT's after my first time wearing them on Friday, and I don't think the Neumok is a suitable substitute. I love my Jingle Bell Moks, but primarily for the coloration- it's a fun shoe to wear during the holidays, but I don't see myself ever buying a "regular" one. One the weekend country collection, the lugged soles kill it for me. Admittedly, I don't like lugs at all, but mini lugs would've been better than the current iteration. The shoes just look very unbalanced to me. I like the navy oak street, but I'm not a fan of bluchers in general, so I won't be purchasing one. Also, as much as I like red Dainite (the execution of the 1776 was fantastic IMHO), I feel like it was an odd choice for this shoe.

I will say though, the navy suede Achesons still have me drooling. I haven't had a chance to try them on, but if the last the Acheson is on works for me, I could be easily convinced to buy a pair on sale.

13. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but it does seem like almost every 2.0 shoe is inferior to the original in some way. Having owned both Leeds, I can say the original is better. Also, 2.0 seems to also mean that profila binding is now being used.

1 person likes this.
  15. mingus2112

mingus2112 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Everyone thinks it's strange when i'm picking out shoes to run out real quick (in jeans and a tshirt).

16. RTD1

RTD1 Well-Known Member

There's a reason why the shell cordovan versions of the Leeds, Macneil, etc. are still made according to 1.0 standards.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it makes sense that the reason for changing the patterns would be efficiency.

1 person likes this.
  18. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

Beautiful words sir. So respectful. We will never forget.

(nice shoes too BTW)

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

+infinity

The navy achesons (or really any color) had me almost drooling too. I already have a Merlot grayson & a shell burgundy Adams - I just feel like they're way too redundant. If you feel like you can utilize them in a rotation, absolutely 100% agree - they're awesome.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  20. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

Cool to hear the boards first shoe stories!

Finally made it home from the wedding weekend. The PAs are a bit pissed at me as the ceremony/reception was on a lawn and it had rained the night before (didn't do my research, just saw clear skies). Additionally they saw the floor of some questionable bar floors later in the evening. :(

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.