1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

Nice!! Those Bourbon PAs and Walnut Lexingtons really caught my eye. Great collection sir

1 person likes this.
  2. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

Even better than purchasing tongue pads, go to your local AE store. The Dallas location has a box full of tongue pads and gave me some for free.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  3. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses on the HM's last night. This is going to sound super OCD, but it is what it is.

The bigger question/concern I had was the quarter and rulers on the right shoe. I measured the difference from the bottom of the quarter this morning- this is the outside of the left shoe:
    [​IMG]

This is the outside of the right shoe:
    [​IMG]

Is a quarter inch difference within the margin of error for QC (after all, they are a handmade product), or is it a big enough difference that anyone of you would return it? This is what it looks like from overhead, note the angle of the quarter/eyelets on the right boot compared to the left:
    [​IMG]

Like I said, I know it's probably ridiculously OCD of me, but this is my first time owning boots like this, so I don't know what is and isn't acceptable.

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Dark brown. Love them.

5. pineappleguy16

pineappleguy16 Active Member

So I called AE customer service and told them about my issue, they mentioned that if I had no heel slip with 7.5 D then there shouldn't be for the 7.5 E as it only increase the width in the toe box. They mentioned to try a 7 E, does that even make sense at all? They also said their leather doesn't stretch so it should fit perfect the first time you try it on. I definitely think 7.5 E will not work for me as the heel is too wide causing the side to flare out a bit which makes the ankle bone rub against the side when I step.

6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Perhaps they were thinking of the back of the heel. If the shoe is wide at the sides of the heel, it can definitely slip. I have some of that on my Wilberts (The Wilbert is just not a good shoe for people with narrow heels).

I disagree with the statement. Shoes can definitely stretch, depending on the leather. However, I think they were probably implying that you should try to find a shoe that fits perfect right out of the box. I generally agree with this philosophy.

You bought these at Nordstroms, right? If I were you, I would tell them what happened and ask them if you can exchange. 7 E might work, but you won't know until you try. If the 7.5 D felt okay, you might be better off with that size and then use european lacing. Your V didn't look awful, but you should be more concerned about how the shoes feel. If they are causing you big pressure at the V, you should not wear them.

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

@orange fury. While you (or I) may have some academic curiosity whether that quarter inch is within AE's specs or isn't within spec but was simply missed, I think the only relevant question is how much will it bug you. Unless it throws off the tongue or causes it to lace up funny, I don't think anyone other than you will notice.

Unless perhaps you will be tucking your trousers into your boots.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  8. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wearing my A-E saddle shoes today and showing how long sidewalks last around here.

They look similar to Sheltons, but since they have no name in them and the saddle parts are sharkskin, I call them "Surfer Eaters".

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Agree. I would keep those as long as comfort and fitment were good. If it bothers you at all, AE tends to accommodate.

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Ha! As healthy as my AE rotation is these days, I'm either super vulnerable or super immune to the weaseling.

11. bishopcraiga

bishopcraiga Well-Known Member

Nice!! Those Bourbon PAs and Walnut Lexingtons really caught my eye. Great collection sir[/quote]

Thanks. Been building "slowly" (both thanks to and in spite of the weasels) since the beginning of the year. The Lexingtons definitely get the most wear since they are on Dainite even though they aren't an ideal fit; tongue pad thrown in by Kristle from Jeffersonville during the McGregor order helps as does bow tie lacing inspired by @peppercorn78 and his suede McA's

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12. deker9

deker9 Member

[​IMG]

Love these McAllisters...why won't all my 65's fit the same

1 person likes this.
  13. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Just a PSA... I think the trunk show might be happening sooner than next spring, as has been mooted around here.

Just in case anyone was thinking... hmm.. I can blow the shoe account for now and still be ok come spring, and then the biennial trunk show rolls around and your wallet looks like this:

[​IMG]

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

What makes you think that?

15. Vitals

Vitals Active Member

[​IMG]

Giving some love to the shell Strands I was lucky enough to acquire during the seconds sale.

5 people like this.
  16. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Can anyone tell me how the GOBI compares to the Dundee? Are they both similar? Is the toe soft on one?

17. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

Is there any Intel on what special color shell offerings may be available during the trunk show?

18. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

My experience is that Gobi is much more flimsy and soft, almost like it is a towel than a shoe. No experience with the Dundee.

19. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Daltons for some game watching tonight
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Depends on which Gobi and which Dundee. I've tried the Gobi Tan Saddle and the Dundee 2.0 Brown Burnished Calf, same size. The Gobi is much roomier in the toe and probably a tad longer overall too. The Gobi's leather is also softer and more forgiving. Both have structured toes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.