1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

There's a brown shell strand in the ShoeBank, one width too narrow for me. I clicked around a bit, and there don't seem to be many others in the bank. How often can a pair like that be expected to pop up?

Also, there seems to be a lot of black shell in the ShoeBank. Is that likely because of the "dressy color, casual material" conundrum?

2. M2511

M2511 Senior member

They actually had it in both sizes I prefer but when the SA described 1 to me it wasn't a ringing endorsement while the other looked great. Brown certainly appears less but it is also available on fewer shoes. I see black and burgundy appear about the same amount at least in my sizes. I don't see any issue with black other than the conundrum you stated but aside from the PA I'm not sure black shell is too casual for the rest. I actually like the black shell PA I received but there were too many imperfections and I loved the black Hopkinsons...

1 person likes this.
  3. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I personally don't own any shell, but if I were to buy shell, it would be a shade of brown/burgundy. Partially for the casual material/formal color issue, but I mainly think the color variations in shell are too neat for me to want to mask it with black. If that makes sense.

1 person likes this.
  4. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

OH, MAN! A couple pairs of Broadstreets appeared on the Shoe Bank today in my size. And, oh, what a price! Must resist!

5. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Guess this means I'm not drinking tonight...

1 person likes this.
  6. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

No S.

And yes, I have to strain to see the toe difference from ground to eye level, so would be virtually impossible for someone a couple of feet away to see.

1 person likes this.
  7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Guess $100 did the trick! Sold!

9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

You actually got them for $100?

Scratch that, they are still there at time of this post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@gm928 and @smfdoc , my initial statement about starting at $100 was said tongue in cheek... As was a previous post about offering 130% of asking price... As was this last post.

I have had my eye on a shell boot or chukka, and would be happy with a minor defect at 1/2 price - but can't justify making a purchase until I lock in my fit on the 511 last. I've tried calf Daltons in 8.5E, 9D, 9E, 9.5B and 9.5D (settled on 9D). Next attempt will be 10B.

Then again, shell does fit slightly looser than calf... #FBWs

11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Does shell fit loosely enough that one could go down a width? Asking for a friend.

12. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

I'm normally a 9D, but can't seem to find my fit either on the 511. I really wanted a pair of shell cordovan Dundees and tried 9D, 9.5D and 9E and no luck. The 9D and even 9.5D were a bit too narrow in the toe area. The 9E was just too wide. My last hope is to try the 8.5E. I'm hoping that will fit since there seems to be plenty of room past my toes on the 9D. I looked at those Daltons too, but being that they were just on sale for $399 at the Shoebank and I haven't nailed down my size I'm going to pass. I'm sure they will be onsale again in the near future. Good luck to you if you decide to jump on them.

13. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Senior member

I have been successful at getting over 40% off

1 person likes this.
  14. M2511

M2511 Senior member

He accepts returns and is pretty easy to deal with. If you settled on 9D its definitely worth a shot. Particularly if you can get them under the $400 mark since those are essentially what you'd see from the shoebank.

15. colco

colco Senior member

Anyone ever own the Brookwood and know if it is TTS or what last it is on?

16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Hard to follow-up a series of joking posts with something serious... but, seriously... looks like $350 was the magic number necessary to take home those 9D shell Daltons. For those asking about approximate percentage of asking price, hopefully this gives you some insight.

And in the mean time, start pinching pennies for the spring trunk show!

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

And speaking of Shakers and the 'bay: there is a pair of black first quality NIB 9.5D Shakers that ends in about 18 hours.

18. gm928

gm928 Senior member

I think it depends on the shoe, how close your feet are to the top or bottom range for that particular width, and on the type of socks you're going to wear. In my case, I'm an 8.5D in almost everything, but my shell MacNeils are 8.5C and still feel like there is a tiny bit of room, width-wise. But my shell Strands are 8.5D, and I don't think I'd want to go any narrower. I't probably a function of the lasts and the bal/blu difference.

19. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Did I successfully weasel you?

20. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

With all this trunk show talk, as a new trunker, how does one purchase shoes? Do you have to attend in person? Can you only purchase them in person?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.