1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

Since I'm only in the US until tomorrow afternoon, I called the AE store to see what my options are regarding the wrecked tongue.

My SA is going to go to another location to pick up the only other natural HM in 9D in the area, so I can check them out!

What should I be pursuing for sizing on these?

The 9D is snug/glove-like, and I may need to stretch the left pinky toe knuckle spot. When I press the vamp, my foot is right there.

The 9E they feel roomy, I can move my foot laterally a bit, and pressing the vamp shows quite a bit of space.

Am I better to go with snug and let then stretch to perfection, or err on the side of roominess?

I wear a 9E on the 65.

This will be my first pair of quality boots.

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Hard to say without it being my feet, but I would go with snug and break them in before attempting to stretch them. Hard to say, one mans snug is another mans constriction. <-- There is a joke about Kegels in there, but I'll leave it to you're imagination.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I had a similar experience with my Leeds 2.0s. They fit, but they were about as snug as it gets without causing pain. They took a long time to become less stiff, but I'm so glad I chose the snug size because they feel great now. You could also try 9.5 D, if it's not too long for you. I have one shoe on the 1757 last, and I wear up 1/2 size and down a width from the Park Ave.

4. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Yikes! I suddenly got the urge to go pick up my shoes off the floor. Fortunately, my two cats don't attack my shoes like that, but they often run across them or (in the case of my brand new Sanibels) put two holes in them jumping up on the end table. (where I had put the sanibels so the cat wouldn't get them) If I were in your position, i'd be shocked, horrified, mad at the cat, etc. At the end of the day (after I was done near breaking my fist banging on the front door, sitting in the dark for 20 minutes and a walk around the block to cool off), the cat didn't mean it and you still own the shoes. Like you said, they're beyond "fixing," but I bet some leather conditioner and some polish would go a long way to making them more presentable. You can still wear them. . .don't worry!

5. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I just recommended this to my buddy for his Bourbon Strands. 18 months old and they already had a hole forming right in the middle of the sole. He obviously has a heavier walk than most (the heel and toe were barely worn), so I told him to go for the v-tread. $10 upcharge, but I think it will be worth it. I have v-tread on my Patriots and I wish I had it on more shoes!

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

@Lobster33 Option: You could always try on one pair of shoes to see if you like it better. Worse comes to worse you can eventually switch back down the road. Then you'll know for sure one way or the other.

7. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

i only have two shoes on the combination tap sole (Warwick and bourbon McAllister), and I'll probably opt to have several pairs recrafted with it. I prefer full leather, but I have a (probably misplaced) fear of walking in the rain on leather soles, so I always opt for my combo or Dainite soles when rain is predicted. I love Dainite, but I would only do it on more casual options.

On the other end of the spectrum, it doesn't matter what shoe it's on, I can't stand lugged soles- mini, commando, or otherwise.

8. colco

colco Senior member

Not a regular contributor to the thread, please put me firmly in the v-tread camp. I've got three pair of AE shoes with that sole. I'm in NY, and walk several miles a day in all types of weather conditions. I've found the v- tread superior to any topy, provides better grip than leather, and the rubber sole allows me to wear my shoes regardless of weather (though dainite trumps v tread in snow). They also seem harder wearing than AE single leather soles.
    For context I don't own any double leather sole, Redenbach, or AE butyl sole shoes. The hardest wearing leather sole (and grippiest) I've owned is on a pair of Alden chukkas.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have an interview today, so I pulled out the black Park Avenues. The receipt was in the box - paid $149.97 in May 1992 for these. New heel caps once, never recrafted.

Maybe they will bring me good luck.

Chris
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  10. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Ending the week in style with oxblood strands
    [​IMG]
    Apparently I had a thing for green circle socks this week too
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

With all the recent purchases I've made and the RDA sale/potential trunk show coming up, I think it's time to offload some shoes that aren't getting much love due to redundancy, incorrect fit, or just not quite working in with my wardrobe.

All will come with Clarks split toe shoe trees. I'll be taking pictures this weekend.

Brown Calf Strands 8.5EE (seconds)
    Brown Snuff Suede Dundees 8.5E (seconds)

Brown First Ave boots 8E (seconds - less than 5 wears)
    Oxblood Daltons 8E (firsts)

PM me if you are interested in any of the following before I throw them up on Ebay. I'm thinking of letting them go to the Style Forum FBWs shipped for $100 each for the first two and $150 each for the 2nd two.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  12. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Does anyone have any pictures on them wearing the grey suede strandmoks? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I feel the same on both.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

15. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Now THAT is positive reinforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. M2511

M2511 Senior member

@armedferret posted these a while back [​IMG] I purchased a pair and love them but no shots in the wild yet. Very comfortable.

1 person likes this.
  17. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I have several pairs with V-tread and I prefer it. Only time I wouldn't is shoes you might need for a dance floor haha. When I'm given the option I get it with v-tread if it is same price. Recrafting only charges $10 more for it and while I haven't recrafted anything other than BB shoes that have it already, I'd absolutely pay the $10 for it.

18. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. roz77

roz77 Senior member

Anyone have a shot of the Neumok (1.0 I guess?) in the distressed brown? Thinking about picking up a pair now that they're on clearance.

20. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.