1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you.
    There's really nothing you can do at this point. You're going to have to get rid of the cat.
    The shoes, though, don't really look too bad. I'd hit them with the conditioner cream. They should be presentable after that.

4 people like this.
  2. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

You don't know how right you are! Let's just say there was a very intense discussion tonight regarding the cat's future. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I've got two dogs and three cats. They all know to leave my things alone.
    And I don't put any of my shoes where they could get to them -- just in case they forget.

4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

When I was in my store about 6 weeks ago, I saw the leather cutting templates for the Bayfield, and a bunch of stuff on development, including projected Fall 2016 release. I suppose nothing was set in stone, but they sure seem to have progressed pretty far.

If they've changed their mind I may have to jump on one of the C&J GMTO's for something similar.

1 person likes this.
  5. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got an earful on that last part. All I could say was "I'm the victim here," in my whiniest voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Any of you guys recraft your shoes with the v-tread leather sole? Did you like it better than the regular leather sole? I'm considering this when the time comes to recraft.

Speaking of v-tread, I'm surprised no one on here has posted pictures of the new suede Strand. I figured that would be a popular shoe. Perhaps it's because they haven't had a sale on it yet.

7. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Had literally about five minutes to check out the other Nordstrom Rack location that's near my office (Schaumburg, IL) after dinner tonight. That place is definitely a hell hole. All shoes unboxed and loose on the racks. Only had time to check my size. Nothing exciting. Some Kenilworths. And, I think, a Gobi... Style # 5431. Won't be back there any time soon. 2/10.

1 person likes this.
  8. St Hubbins

Just as well, I suppose. I didn't need anything distracting me from my Club Monaco suede Leeds.

1 person likes this.
  9. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

We have a 15 week old cat that we brought home when she was 8 weeks old. All of my shoes stayed in the closet anyways prior to her arrival, but after we brought her home, we've kept the closet and bedroom door shut at all times

1 person likes this.
  10. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I prefer leather, but I have a few with the V-Tread. If you find leather slippery, its something to consider. I certainly prefer the AE V-Tread to an aftermarket toppy. The factory V-Tread blends in more smoothly with the sole edge and bottom than any cobbler applied toppy I've seen.

11. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Checked the one by my apartment today on my way home, only thing was a beat up pair of 10D Players. My NR sucks, I've only found a couple things there (Canali tie, AE suede belt, white suede Walkover bucks, and a Patagonia A/C shirt). Piles and piles of Santoni, Gordon Rush, Cole Haan, and Magnanni though.

12. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I have the v-tread on a couple of shoes and have recrafted a pair or two with them. I like them, but I don't wear them enough to give more data. As for the suede Strand, I ordered a pair of seconds in brogue suede. Will post pics when they arrive.

13. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

All the more reason to keep your shoeboxes. Extra layer of protection from jealous pets.

1 person likes this.
  14. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

If there are children involved, I would go with the fabled "cat farm" story. Where the cat can roam unfettered through the fields...

1 person likes this.
  15. St Hubbins

So glad my dogs are old and lazy now. Back when they were young and before I was into AEs, they destroyed several pairs of now irreplaceable Adidas. The most egregious offenses were a pair of brown and yellow Spezials and a pair of brown and white Super Skates. Smdh still.

These days my shoes are either on my feet or in a closed closet.

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I haven't found that to be the case (and apologies for repeating - I'm not trying to be petulant, but mainly ensuring future searches find this).

The cut of the pattern also affects the shoe. I talked to a lady at AE about my inability to fit in Strands and any shoe in any size/width based on that pattern (Park Ave, Rush St. et. al.) despite having three pairs of McTavishes and a pair of Jingle Bell Mocs (based on the Neumok) that all fit great in the same size (11.5D) on the 65-last. She said that pattern is very tightly cut and is problematic for some people. Two different fittings at stores with many combinations has yet to yield a fit I like, where my McT's and JBM's are extremely comfortable, even moreso since they broke in with the McT's.

I also suspect there may be some differences with reverse storm welts that may be a benefit. I tried on a pair of Strandmoks in my 11.5D 65-last size and they felt pretty darn good. I'm guessing an 11.5E might fit well.

Net: Last isn't the whole story - the cut of the pattern and possibly the welt design also contribute to fit.

17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

@ace13x and @polojock615, thanks. The reason I'm asking about the v-tread is because I want to keep my leather soled shoes for as long as possible. I figure that if you want your shoes to last forever, Dainite is the best option. However, Dainite is not nearly as comfortable as a single leather sole (to me). I figured that the v-tread might extend the life of the soles. The other option would be double-leather sole, but I don't like it as much as the single. Also, I refuse to put those nail cap things at the end of my shoes, as they make the shoe feel uneven.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  18. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I thought it was fairly well known that the rough collection (McTavish, Elgin) fit bigger/wider than their classic counterparts the McAllister and Strand. The thought is that the leather just isn't/can't be pulled as tight when lasting.

I imagine the Neumok has the same issue (and are t they unlined?). I can't imagine the actual pattern matters very much.

19. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

My guess is that the storm vs. flat welt does contribute. But I also said same leather. People have expressed looser fits in the pull-up/casual/unlined leathers. Likewise, I took and 8D in my Shell PA's. They probably don't pull the shell quite as tightly to the last for fear of tearing the shell.

No petulance taken. Mo' discussion, Mo' better.

Edit: I suppose it would not be out of line to hypothesize that the rough collection may be a bit more ample to account for the less formal, thicker socks that might be worn with those shoes.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying, and maybe some people wear out leather faster than rubber, but the point is, what are you going to do when the rubber on a V-Tread or toppy wears down? Sooner or later your going to resole anyway.

IMHO, if your concerned with grip, V-Tread is nice. But if your worry is sole life, for me 6 of one half dozen of the other. Maybe some peoples walking pattern/environment will experience something different.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.