1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Thank you, how very barnweasely of you. Alas, I am mostly an 8.5D but I appreciate the offer. And I know it's slow by the standards set here, but my pace of one pair per month is already at the upper limit of what my spouse can tolerate. I said it a couple weeks ago (but didn't abide by it)... I need to cool it for a little. Let's see if I can make it all the way to October without another acquisition.

2. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Haha, glad to hear you almost ate it. I kept hearing how slick an unused leather sole is, but I overestimated my ability to compensate

1 person likes this.
  3. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

@DNSamurai , Yes, in fifty years I progressed (is that the right word?) from a 9D with a B heel (shoes used to come in more sizes years ago) to a 9EEE by spending most of the fifty years working places where I stood up. On a Brannock device, I now measure close to a 8 1/2 EEEE, but the Allen-Edmonds 9EEE's fit fine in every last I've tried (so far).

1 person likes this.
  4. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

This is an interesting comment. Are you saying that you used to be able to order Allen Edmonds shoes with various heel sizes?

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The lust for shell cordovan is well known on the forum, but it was difficult for me to initially understand how shell could be nearly double the cost of calf. Setting aside if it was worth the extra cost, I wanted to know what drove the price. This little video sheds some light on the process of making shell cordovan. The labor cost and 6 months of tanning time for shell is double that of calf which is 3 months. This is worsened by the fact that the shell of one horse is needed for a single pair of shoes and the supply of horse hides continues to shrink. Enjoy the video for those who may not have seen it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

@Lobster33 , fifty years ago I wore Johnston & Murphy (made in USA) shoes. I didn't have to order them. Stores used to carry men's shoes in many size and heel variations. Somehow over the years this has changed.

Here I am nearly fifty years ago (in April 1968) wearing a pair of Johnston & Murphy (made in USA) 9D with B heels black cap toes (with rubber soles and heels)......

[​IMG]

......and here I am in late May 2016 wearing MTO (rubber soles and heels) Allen-Edmonds 9EEE black Rutledges.

[​IMG]

(Wearing the same Santa Fe Railway employe lapel pin and watch chain (with Hamilton 992B Railway Special) in both pictures.

19 people like this.
  7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

There's a lot of confusion about this. Shoe widths, like shoe lengths, correspond to actual numerical measurements, at least in theory. So D = a certain measurement, C = a certain measurement, E = a certain measurement, etc. The ankle of a standard dress shoe is always two sizes smaller than the forefoot. So a shoe with a D forefoot (the listed width) will ALWAYS have a B heel. Just as a shoe that is an E will always have a C heel. Most shoe manufacturers just list the forefoot width, so it will be listed as a D. Some choose to list both, so D/B. But the difference is always two sizes. The idea that you used to be able to order Aldens or AEs with a "combination size" is a misnomer. Alden has always listed both (e.g., D/B) whereas AE used to list both but then switched over to the more common practice of only listing one (D). However, regardless of how it's listed, the heel is ALWAYS two widths below the forefoot. If anyone disagrees, please post a photo of a shoe where the width difference is something other than two (e.g. a D/A or an E/D). They don't exist, unless you're talking bespoke shoes.

3 people like this.
  8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Awesome post, learned something brand new today!

9. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Loving the HMs. A bit blobby from my point of view but they do look great from any other angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

MAAAAANNNN those are sharp!! Oxblood Warwicks? I was planning on walnut Daltons for my next acquisition, but I might have to re-think that. Those are superb.

1 person likes this.
  11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

These bad boys will always have a special place in my heart. One of my first AE purchases
    [​IMG]
    Note the product placed tee. Always reminding me where I'd rather be.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Oxblood over erythannnnnnggggg. But for real, oxblood over everything. Check the Dalton in oxblood? That might be right up your alley

13. M2511

M2511 Senior member

There are several pairs that I want quite a bit but I just know they will see little to no wear. It is quite frustrating. This is the part where it is difficult to be anywhere near a computer or even this forum. Those brooks brother Dukes are calling my name particularly with matching belt on clearance... But I already have BB kenwoods with similar look that do not get enough love as it is.

14. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

[​IMG]

Haven't seen any navy around here lately and haven't worn mine a ton so here they are in the office. I've yet to expose these to concrete and only 3-4 wears in. Natural creasing on them is strange, and really stiff. But they close and fit better than my other strands so that's a plus.

2 people like this.
  15. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I've had similar experience with mine. They crease differently and actually I have more volume in the toe than normal. Still love them but they fit a bit differently. Wore mine last week but I've found that I really don't wear them as much as I hoped I would.

16. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

Hello all! I am new here - at least for posting.

A quick story - Several months ago I wore only Ecco dress shoes. I had 3 pairs. When one of them started falling apart I began doing research and learned all about Goodyear welting, the horrors of the square toes shoes I had, and what true quality shoes are.

Long story short, with much thanks to this forum, I have gotten rid of one pair of Eccos, sold another, and replaced them with these:

Fifth Avenue - Black w/Dainite soles (2nds)
    Strand - Walnut (1sts) - with Walnut Manistee belt

I am 29 but have had Allen Edmonds in the back of head since high school per the advice of my older cousin who works in finance and has been wearing and recrafting the same pair of Allen Edmonds for 20 years!!

Anyway - reason for this post is I need some advice.

I recently also picked up the last pair of Mora 2.0 seconds in 11.5B in Bourbon - for $177. When speaking with the SA on the phone, I told him I was worried about tiger striping. He assured me they were really in "very good shape for Bourbon" and would not mention any specific issues. Here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can I get your opinions on keep/return? Honestly, they don't look that bad when I've got them on. But there is some weird stretching up close on the sides.

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  17. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Those do look good for bourbon! Wear them and be happy!

18. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Justin is my homeboy. #20 warms my heart
    [​IMG]

19. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I'd keep them. Look good. The more I see some of these Mora's the more I want a pair.

20. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.