1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I completely agree with you here, the combination "split toe" ones AE sells aren't really designed for "stretching" and while I prefer the solid ones, those split toes can be used to fill out the wider lasted forefront shoes/boots. The fronts are not spring loaded so it really depends on how you place them in there. In reality I think the only thing aside from your foot that is going to stretch your shoe out is an actual stretch that puts a considerable amount of tension in the leather. If you are buying trees that are too big for your size and jamming them in there then you might see deformation occur but it should be pretty obvious if your trees are too big.

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@St Hubbins , I was going to suggest a chukka. Think @ace13x is on to something here! Maybe a shell dundee?

1 person likes this.
  3. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I've been considering adding more suede to my rotation sometime down the road, and, inspired by @sthubbins's collection, I might as well ask now: which model would be a good shoe to buy in snuff suede? I already have Fifth Avenues in butter chocolate suede and chukkas in brown suede, so I think that the 'brogue' suede Strands Allen Edmonds's official account is selling on eBay right now would be too duplicative of their colors I already own.

4. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

Thanks guys! It gives me an excuse to buy some new solid trees to go with the new boots :)

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those shoes are probably closer to snuff than bitter chocolate. I think that color works very well with a chukka boot, like the Dundee or possibly *gasp* an Alden unlined chukka.

6. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bourbon Fifth Aves for today's installment of "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Sort of hoping this is the last outing for the linen pants this season. Enough of the 90s already.

2 people like this.
  7. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Often I hear customers say they don't plan on wearing them (their suede) in inclement weather. Then the unexpected downpour........
    Even more common I hear "I was at a restaurant (or bar) and something accidentally spilled om my shoes".

It's better to be safe than sorry.

The products mentioned are very good:
    Tarrago NANO Protector
    Saphir Super Invulner

Here is another effective, safe product:
    https://www.amazon.com/VECTRA-Ultim...64012&sr=8-1&keywords=vectra+waterproof+suede

2 people like this.
  8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I just got the new catalog. I think the Dundees and Strands in snuff and laden suede look good. I would recommend picking up one of those during the RDA sale...

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Wearing my walnut Carlyles today. The left shoe has stretched nicely, and the V looks good. The right shoe I swear, is a width smaller than the left. The V is still pretty wide, but I guess I'll just have to live with it. My obsession with the old piping has a price I'm afraid.

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Natty Oak Streets and rust/burnt orange chinos. I couldn't figure out if the pants and shoes were too close of a match (cue PC's footed pajamas or Cookie Monster response) or there was enough difference to compliment each other.

Thoughts on the pairing? I struggle most with deciding what to wear with natty and snuff suede colors.

And... yes, the panels are darker than the rest of the shoe. Hoping to slowly darken the caps with neatsfoot. It'll be patina/character before too long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Revisiting an approximately year old conversation about the coupon(s) in the AE catalog... Anyone have a sense of how AEs decides who gets the $50 off? I didn't get one, but then again, $50 off msrp doesn't move the needle too much for me these days - especially with RDA in a couple of months and a possible spring trunk show.

12. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Im a fan of the tan-ish on tan-ish look myself

13. gm928

gm928 Senior member

I also didn't get the coupon. I've purchased quite a few pairs from AE over the past year, but almost all were shoebank seconds, with a few clearance firsts. Maybe they target the coupon at people who tend to purchase full-price firsts.

14. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

You 9EEE-wearing sonuvabitch! In Los Angeles too!

1 person likes this.
  15. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I don't know if this will count as an endorsement or not, but I would wear that combo. [​IMG]

16. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

A pair of McGregors just popped up on the ShoeBank in my size. The SA at the outlet said that their flaw was tiger striping, but that they otherwise looked good and were one of the darker (as opposed to more greenish) pairs of bourbon shoes he's seen.

Our of curiosity, what would happen if you applied a couple of coats of brown polish to a tiger-striped bourbon shoe? For $137, is it worth a shot?

1 person likes this.
  17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

@middlepP I would personally look for more contrast, in order to avoid the footy pajamas look. But then again, I am guilty of the following much worse sin, committed twice out of sheer laziness:

[​IMG]

18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I'm going to give my barnweaseliest advice here: buy first, ask questions later. Unless, of course, they're in my size. In which case, absolutely do not buy them.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question about polish. My Bourbon Fifth Aves have some slight tiger striping and I don't find it at all bothersome. I am just using the Bourbon polish and I like how they're coming along.

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    X-post. First time out with the new 3 mm black, flat laces. I think this is a nice change from the small burgundy laces that came with the shoes. In case you choose to get some, you should order the 75 cm length (29.5 inches). You can find them by clicking here.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

Neumoks hit the clearance section on the web site recently. I own a pair of McTavish, and they're absolutely my favorite shoe right now. They're hard to come by now.....so how much overlap do you think there is in the Neumok and McTavish? If anything, the Neumoks are a bit lighter than my McT's....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.