1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I would probably send those pics to the store which took your order to see if they'll reduce the cost to "encourage" you to keep them. Say 10-20%.

2. kingrover

kingrover Active Member

They had a seconds sale in July on the main site (i.e. allenedmonds.com, not on shoebank.com) and I used Shoprunner to get my McAllister seconds. Hoping they have that again.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I determined the D width is not wide enough, I sent a note to the SA and maybe I can keep an eye on the shoebank for an exchange in the future.

4. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Personally I think you are overthinking this a bit. Wear which you prefer in good health & enjoy! :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  5. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Yes, I'm more interested though in the ability to do it and possibly save the $10 to return! Not the end of the world though.

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

For those peeps who have picked up the Higgins Mill (off the top of my head, @TexasTexter , @hohneokc , @roz77 , @bishopcraiga , @DustinM ) any thoughts to the blobbiness of the toe shape?

I hadn't noticed this in stock pics, or the first time I handled them, but the recent pics here on SF and elsewhere seems to show something less sleek than my first impression. (E.g., the toe box seems more Gobi than Freiburg, Dundee or First Ave.) Has me wondering if the Alumnus would be a sleeker option.

My HMs are still on order (trying out a couple of B widths), but I might just order the alumnus too...

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

OH! HELL NO!!

Doesn't matter what was paid, I would return. Sure, some try ons or a days test fit indoors, I don't care about. These clearly have been worn. Aside from the dirt and sand, the footbed is totally started to sink-in. This was definitely careless restocking on AE's part. Frankly, its embarrassing.

At the very least, call them and tell them your not pleased.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Something is not right here....
    I agree w/R.B.'s advice. Contact AE.
    I would be interested to hear how the matter gets resolved.

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Super Glue will dry out the leather and make it brittle.
    Your much better of with rubber -or- all purpose cement. You can purchase either in small tubes.
    Good product(s) to have in the house.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

lol, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how the hell those were "new". Looks like whoever shipped those mixed up Dabondo's address with our forum member.

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I don't think the HM are blobby. I would describe my Odenwalds at blobby. Dundees somewhere in between. My Freiburgs are the least blobby of the 3. Here are some comparison shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  12. bishopcraiga

bishopcraiga Well-Known Member

Mine haven't arrived yet sadly. I believe they won't get shipped until the Alumnus I ordered at the same time is ready and they had a four week wait. :eek: Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I hope my olive maritimes arrive today or tomorrow before I go to the beach.

14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the feedback and comparison shots. I am just hoping they are further away from the Gobi (or Odenwald) than I have seen in some real world photos.

I know its the perspective (and cell camera), but even the right and left above seem to have different levels of blobbiness. I can handle the right; the left could be a little too much of work boot look for my tastes.

Here's to hoping that going up in length and down in width helps the issue. Now, I just need them on my damn feet!

15. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

As a Gobi and, obviously, a Higgins Mill, owner I can say with certainty that the HM is not nearly as "blobby" as the Gobi. I think inherently any boot from AE that's not on a 65 (or similarly narrow) last is going to have some blobbiness to them. It's sort of the nature of the beast that it's going to have wider lines, as opposed to longer lines. If I had anything even closely resembling camera skills, I'd shoot a photo of them side-by-side so you could see.

FYI, I returned some new Odenwalds specifically to get the HM. In looking at them both, the HM is definitely sleeker, for lack of a better word. Not a ton, but enough to notice.

1 person likes this.
  16. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

I agree. I too own the HM, Odenwald and Gobi and I can say that the HM is definitely sleeker than the Odenwald and Gobi.

1 person likes this.
  17. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Well I have a day off and finally have time to post some pics of the HM's. I know there has been a lot of play but as I picked the least popular option in black I figured I would throw up some unboxing pics.

First some thoughts:

-They fit me best in my usual 12D size, they are wider than a dress shoe, and that roominess is apparent in the ball and toe. Not really a negative to me, as that is the nature of the boot.

-The black is growing on me but I, like many of you, am not totally sold. The more I wear the more I like it however, and I think my biggest issue is that its least flattering angle is straight down from a wearers perspective. Side profile sold me. I may trade for natural before I take them in the wild, but need to mull.

-They are comfortable, and should prove to be very versatile this fall and winter, they look great with denim and will with navy and grey chinos as well. Not sure what else I would try with at this point.

-Quality is good on my pair, the black obviously covers all leather flaws, but the welt was well done and stitching was well sorted. It does have the standard subtle marks on the toe, but not really a thing to me. The black on CXL is what I struggle with however, I feel you really lose the fun of the CXL with black where it just seems reads like a black leather boot.

Now to some pics, I made a little unboxing album because I'm having a rare lazy Friday off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Feel good in the hand, and always welcome the out of box smell!
    [​IMG]
    Bad kitchen lighting.
    [​IMG]
    Welt was tidy.
    [​IMG]
    A little natural light at the apt. pool, I looked very out of place in black boots and dark denim on a warm Friday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably the best shot I could get out of them.

[​IMG]

All in all I am excited about them, and really they are insane value at $250. I don't currently own any Alden or Rancourt boots, but these are on par or better than ones I have tried on. Happy Labor Day to all, hope the weather holds up as well for you as it seems to be trending in the Twin Cities.

2 people like this.
  18. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I went to SCP today and had my Strands with me. Here they are next to a new pair. You can really see how brown shell ages.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Nice! My favorite thing about shell is the color variation.

20. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Rainy day calls for rain shoes
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.