1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

2. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Thanks guys- I'm keeping them. Already have them brushed and in trees on the shoe rack, their inaugural wearing will be tomorrow.

As much love as the Leeds gets around here, I'm just not a fan. I do like the Kenilworth and Thomastown, so I think I just like 3-eye PTBs. But that's just me.

I just saw on Instagram that the Union will be (thankfully) coming to an end on 9/5. I'm sorry, but I think this was a huge swing and a miss for AE- the upper looked nice, but that sole absolutely ruined what could have been a solid shoe.

3. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I now have natty cxl (Indy) boots and shoes - wear very different IMHO. The shoes will be more flexible. #barnweaselperspective

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd vote non-issue. I was actually looking at stitching on the cap and wondering what I was missing... ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. delongej26

delongej26 Member

No, the sole stitching

6. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I bought them through my local AE retail store. Today I emailed my SA and explained my situation. He suggested that I come back in while the manager is in to be fitted with the benefit of his 18 yrs of experience. He made no claims about what could be done to resolve things, but hopefully the fact that I have purchased three pair from that store in the past six months will help my chances of a satisfactory resolution.

1 person likes this.
  7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I definitely don't share in the Leeds love either.

I will say I'm glad AE apparently is able to cut their losses and realize when they swing and miss. It happens when you take risks, which they've been doing more and more over the past few years.

8. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Coming to and end meaning the sale?

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Well, that's why they make the Strand and the Leeds. I'm a "less is more" kind of person when it comes to shoes. I can see why some would call it boring, but I find that the Leeds simplicity is very attractive. Now, if they'd only get rid of that profila binding on the Leeds...

The Union would look nice if it were recrafted with a regular sole. May want to keep that in mind if you don't like the sole (I completely agree that it looks bad).

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I would say non issue. But if it makes you feel better save the pictures, or show the shoes to an SA at an Allen Edmonds location if that is possible for you. If anything happens to the shoes structurally down the road, I'm sure AE will replace them.

11. BackInTheJox

I have nothing against a more plain shoe. The Kenilworth is nice. The Leeds looks goofy to me, primarily because of the last.

12. BackInTheJox

I was just going off of what the other poster said. Made it sound like they would be pulling it.

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I understand where you're coming from. I'm not the biggest fan of the 511 last myself. Up close, the Leeds does look "fat", but from a distance, they look more narrow.

I tried on a pair of Kenilworth's last weekend and they fit me very well. I'm a much bigger fan of the last they were on (65?), but I'm not a fan of the 3 eyelet look. The color was nice though.

14. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Yes, I did on my McTavish. I contacted customer service and they had me send them in for evaluation. They checked the shoes out and offered me my money back. I told them that my preferred outcome was to keep the shoes (love the McTavish and they were not offered anymore) and I asked if they could do a recraft. The Rep was very confident that this was an artifact of the cork, the proceses used for it, and that it would settle in with more wearing. We mutually agreed that after 4 months of additional wear that if the spot didn't go away that AE would recraft the shoes. I wore them, and it (mostly) did. The only way I can feel it now is if I stand intentionally in an unnatural way.

Tldr; contact customer service about it. They will help make it right one way, or another.

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

So my former intern was flying from the Bay Area to Ann Arbor today, and said that he noticed a guy on his Colorado to Missouri leg wearing a pair of walnut strands. My former intern went with me to the PA store grand opening a few weeks ago, and purchased his first pair of AE's there (Oxblood Strands with matching Manistee). He complimented the man on his Strands.

Said fellow traveler then proceeded to commence a 40min conversation with my former intern about AE, and told him all about the Shoebank.

My former intern then texted me at his next layover asking me all about the Shoebank.

Oh yeah, the fellow traveler mentioned that he was on some online forums where they talk about AEs, so the real question is, which one of you barn weasels was it? [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Just finished a crushing day at the office that required something harder than walnut myself. Bourbon Wednesday for me![​IMG]

17. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My point was the sole stitching is minor enough that my eyes went right by it.

18. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

It would be funny if your former intern reads your post and texts to let you know that he knows that you also frequent this forum :)

P.S. I do t have walnut Strands.

19. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Rainy in the Big Apple today. Went with the brown Aberdeens. One of my most comfortable and favorite pairs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Haha, awesome story. It wasn't me, but I could totally see myself doing this if someone complimented a pair of my shoes and seemed interested in AE.

Too funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.