1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roz77

roz77 Senior member

What are everyone's thoughts on the Academy vs. the Oak Street? I think I like the cap toe on the Oak Street better than the plain toe on the Academy. I have a thing for the red dainite sole too.

2. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I like the Oak Street.
    The shoes are built on different lasts, so for me, I'd go with the 65 last of the Oak Street.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Personally, I think the brown grain leather Oak Street would be a great business casual / casual shoe. I think the Academy color selection is a bit limiting.

Just my .02.

Chris

4. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black McGregors for a Wingtip Wednesday edition of "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Also featured... my daughter's sandals.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals! Great day for some shell, but not AE or Alden.

[​IMG]

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I love mine (apologies to @Neo1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

There's a ton of them at Nordstrom Rack, at least out here. Saw 4 of them last weekend, but they were priced too high.

10. bobbler

bobbler Member

I went to the new Nordstrom Rack in the old Northway Mall in Pittsburgh on Monday. They had lots of AE for right around $200. I only looked at the 12s and 13s but saw 15-20 pairs, a bunch of walnut 6th Aves, a couple Madison Aves, a Stuttgart, and a monk strap something. All in D or E widths, so there was nothing for me since I normally wear a 13A or 13B. I did try on the 6th Aves and Stuttgarts in 12D and they were definitely too wide for me, but at least the 6th Aves were long enough so now I might do some experimenting with a 12C or B in certain shoes. No AE belts, but they had some decent deals on socks, and $16 shoe trees.

It's the first Rack in the area, and the first one I've been to anywhere. I don't know what I was expecting, but there were a bunch of people in shorts and t-shirts acting like animals in the shoe department. I saw one guy trying on shoes without socks, and another jamming his foot into a shoe without untying it and just smashing the heel cup. It was an affront to my delicate sensibilities, but I would be willing to put up with it if I could manage a D-width.

2 people like this.
  11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

[​IMG]

I saw much of the same last weekend. What was sad is that several pairs of AE shoes were damaged, and many were missing laces (WTF, why do people steal laces?). It is chaotic, and that's the only thing that sucks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  12. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Holy bleep those look fantastic.

2 people like this.
  13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

1 person likes this.
  14. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I see the fairfax there in chili which I would like but the sizes offered are a problem. It has the black fairfax in D and EEE but the ones in chili are labeled D and then just "wide" but it doesn't state if its E or just EEE like the ones in black. I'm of the opinion it is probably EEE but I'm not sure if there is any way to tell....

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I noticed the same thing when I was in the store in DC yesterday.

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I grabbed a pair of Academys, and they arrived today. After trying them on yesterday in the store in DC during a quick out-and-back business trip, I was a little worried about color and sleekness.

Looking at the pair that arrived today, I'm pretty happy. The color is still lighter than what is depicted on the website, but CXL color evolves as you wear and brush the shoes, so I'm not worried about that. In the store, the pair I looked at seemed...blobby...to me for some reason, but looking at these in the mirror and the pix below, I'm very happy.

As far as fit, the impression I had from yesterday that the fit is fantastic is confirmed. They may even outshine the Alden Barrie last for "feels like they were made for my feet", which is saying something. That is probably a lot to do with the last - generously wide but not swimmy, room in the toe box and zero heel slip. I'd almost keep them for comfort alone.

[​IMG]
    Out of box - Olive Shannon dives for contrast (and I usually wear my AE natty CXL belt with them). I think this pretty accurately represents the color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the sole, too. A bit of weather flexibility without going full commando. ([​IMG] ...or something like that). While it is similar to Aldens crepe sole with the leather toe, it seems much sturdier and practical.

I was honestly thinking I'd wind up sending these back based on yesterday.

Nope. Time to find some room in the closet...

4 people like this.
  17. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Thanks- when AE did bourbon right, they knocked the cover off the ball. My McAllisters are the same way in natural lighting, my Mora 3.0's are far more dull in comparison

18. pbrandes

pbrandes Senior member

They are alas EEE, even though NR's "WIDE" usually designates an E (as opposed to "EXTRA WIDE" for EEE). I found this out the hard way, and am returning. Also, they are the dark chili color variant, which was disappointing as I was hoping to get a pair in the original chili color.

1 person likes this.
  19. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Hmmm... I'd never seen some of those styles. The Stuttgart in particular kind of looks Rogue-ized, and I like it. Alas, the Academy's took a slot I really didn't have with two other pairs on pre-order, so... [​IMG]

20. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

For me it really was getting to a point where I felt I had a solid rotation and had most bases covered. That happened at my 7th pair of AE shoes (and matching belts); there are other pairs I'd like to have, but it really is diminishing returns for my wardrobe from where I am now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.