1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

It appears you like the Strand. If the fit is solid, you could try one of the suede options. One of the other variants (Strandmok, Rush St) could be more casual options with a similar style/fit.

What about the Dundee? Shell Dundees are at the top of my wish list.
    Or a short wing like the Alumnus? Pretty sure aberdeen is a LWB, no?
    Or a PTB? Leeds (not my fav) or Academy (natty >> black, but probably too close to your natty CS)

2. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

There is a pair of Burgundy Shell Dundees in 9E available. In most AE shoes I wear 9EEE. My shell Strands, however, are 9EE and fit very well. I don't know how the Dundee runs. Is it worth risking the $10 restocking fee? Or would be a waste of time?

3. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Well the dundee is on a different last (511) so its hard to say. The 511 is a wider last but many people go up 1/2 a size from the 65 due to length issues. FWIW my best fit is a 8.5 EE on the strand I wear a 9D Dundee. When a 8.5 EE isn't available on the 65 which is often the case I wear a 9 E. Hope that helps!

4. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Interesting. So I've never tried the Dundees, but I have tried the Leeds, which also are on the 511 last. I tried them in my normal 9EEE and found them to not be comfortable at all. Too tight in the toe box. So on that note, it seems like it would be a waste of time to get the Dundees in 9E.

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I don't own the Dundee (yet, say the FBWs), but I think you are probably right. Now, a 9.5D or 9.5E is a different story...

6. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Just ordered the AE Manistee belt in merlot. I need it by this Saturday and I hope it gets here before. The factory is 1hr and 40min away from me so I should get it in time...I hope.

How do you guys control yourselves from to much shoe shopping? I want to stop, but I find it difficult. Especially when I find a great deal. Come RDA I most likely know I'm going to splash out easily at least $300. This is crazy!

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I suspect avoiding this place is probably the best option. I had 6 shoes when I joined, and now have 15. [​IMG]

I suspect this is why Neo1 has been missing from here as of late.

4 people like this.
  8. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

The Dundee definitely runs short. I wear a 7.5EE Strand and an 8E Dundee. Even going up a half size from my Strands, my Dundees still feels slightly shorter. I do not think that I could swing a 7.5E Dundee.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. M2511

M2511 Senior member

At least $300... you are young yet in your weasel purchases. You have not become a full barn weasel. Suggestion: go back to liking cemented soles and run away! This is the advice from my wallet which is now also going to be made of shell....

This is so true.... this forum lead me down a dark path that I fear there is no return from [​IMG]

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I wear the 511 in the same size as the 65, but the 511 does run a bit shorter. If you are tight in length on the 65, you'll probably need to size up.

11. aero25

aero25 Senior member

@styleaudit91 you'll probably see some Normandy love in the next month or two as it cools off. Mine have been on the shelf throughout the 110+ degree months. I can't wait to bringthem back out!

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Ha, I didn't even look at user name when I responded to you. Of course you are!

I think you do understand at least close to what I meant. I am part of that Warlow 2.0 GMTO, but I also just recently ordered a pair of stock tan grain Pembrokes very recently as well. At first it was just going to be a quick impulse buy/possible return in order to double check my size before putting in my order, but it got delayed and the Warlow order came and went. However, I have wanted a more "rugged" shortwing for regular use, and the tan scotch grain and Dainite sole is the Pembroke ultimately fits that bill.

So I should have 3 pairs of C&J coming. Pembroke in a week or so, Warlow and Lindrick in the winter.

My wallet hurts just talking about it.

13. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Hear, hear! The original Jefferson had a much better pattern; I dislike the overlapping broguing on the McAllister and Jefferson 2.0.

14. pbrandes

pbrandes Senior member

A question for those who own shoes in black chromexcel -- how do they age? I would imagine less patina and pull-up color variations compared to brown/natty, but I'd like to know how they hold up and/or differ from regular calf? How might that affect the look of brogue vs plain toe over time? (trying to decide between Academy and Alumnus).

Thanks for any observations and advice!

15. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I bought a shell wallet. I was very happy. Then I realized I could have bought another pair of shoes. Then I introduced myself to a concept known as "deficit spending."

2 people like this.
  16. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the black chromexcel Odenwalds. They still look like black calf without any color variation, etc. I apply AE Leather Lotion every few months and that's all I do on chromexcel.

Chris

17. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Ok, the Fairfax from NR arrived today bearing the 2nd's mark! I didn't know they sold 2nd Quality shoes at NR?

18. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I like the new Higgins Mill, and the Cascade too.
    What I really want though is a Bleecker St., a Shaker, or an Eagle County.
    Speaking of Eagle County, how do those fit? I saw a 13D on Shoebank.
    I wear a 13B in most lasts, although the 13B is a little roomy in the 201 or a 333 blucher.
    If I wanted to wear medium weight socks with the Eagle County, would a 13D work, or would I need a 13B?

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

6 people like this.
  20. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

LMAO. We're the equivalent of a bunch of William S. Burroughses on a "Heroin Appreciation" thread.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.