1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

[​IMG]

This is the first time I saw the red cxl Neumok 2.0 (right) at the store. It actually looks pretty cool. Kind of makes me want to return the merlot McAllisters I ordered. I already have enough dress shoes but need more casual shoes and I think you can dress down the Neumok 2.0 more. Who knows how much they'll be on sale during the RDA Sale..

2. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

I love my red ones! They rock!

3. TexasTexter

You can pick them up at Palo Alto for $250!

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Holy crap they are! Never see Shell Daltons in my size, let alone at $399! Someone buy those, quickly.

5. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

What you said makes perfect sense. For about 100-150 more you will have a brand new shell version that will offer a better fit. It's not going to last, so make your decision quick. I am contemplating picking up shell Leeds, Dundees or MacNeil.

1 person likes this.
  6. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Yea. The red cxl looks 10x better than the online pics, but I've seen first quality Neumoks go for $199 on sale. I think I'll wait and see how they'll be priced during the RDA Sale. Maybe they wont be priced that low or maybe they will...

1 person likes this.
  7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    A shell fitting question. My limited experience with shell is that it seems more difficult to pull it tightly to the last during construction. I have trued the same size and style in calf and shell, and the shell fits looser and, for me, more comfortable.

My experience with Park Ave is that it and other 65 lasted balmoral shoes fit too tightly across the vamp and the V gap is unacceptably wide. I am tempted to order a shell PA from the bank in the hopes that it fits better for me than calf. To those who have experience with shell and calf in the 65 last, this a realistic possibility? Or is my desire for more shell, like my lust for the high school cheerleader, simply a misplaced and an unobtainable fantasy?

8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Woah, they offered a park ave in blue suede?! I picked these up today at NR. They also had a Baton Rogue for $70, but not my size.

When did AE sell a blue suede Park Ave?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Totally realistic. My shell strands fit better across the instep than my calf fifth aves. Not a huge difference, so it depends what the tightness is like for you to begin with.

10. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

- removed double post

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

If that is true that is sad news indeed. The Merlots looked awesome, but by the time that final sale was on my size was gone. Who knows, the color may return in a couple of seasons.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It might have been someone's SMU, or perhaps a webgem from several years ago. It looks like the lighter blue suede that AE used for the Players shoe back in 2010ish.

2 people like this.
  13. pbrandes

pbrandes Senior member

Props for the new Oak Street. Kudu is incredibly comfortable, it deserves more attention.

[​IMG]

Also,

tried swapping the brown Higgins Mill's brown laces with the tan laces from the natty. I rather like it. There are probably cheaper ways to get this lacing look, but my inner barn weasel thinks it's an excellent reason to buy both...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. TexasTexter

[​IMG]

Anyone know where I can get this in 11.5D or 12D? Allen Edmonds is out! I've tried everything.

15. 3lilnags

3lilnags Active Member

Nordstrom rack is selling the Fairfax online. Anyone seen these in person? Trying to determine if these are true first quality, or if they are the made-for-rack versions.

16. TexasTexter

I will let you know, I picked one up and it's already shipped. I used my Nordy's notes! :)

17. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

I've seen numerous pairs at the Rack, just not my size. They looked in pretty good condition and seemed like first quality AE shoes. Also they didn't have the seconds stamp.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I started a vintage shoe thread and we recently discussed a spade sole, which AE actually carried in 1960. It has come in and out of style several times, but its absence if probably now 50 years. I found it interesting that an alteration in the shape of the sole, but not the shoe, could be used as a design element. I would think that a really competent cobbler could create this look on an old pair of shoes that were being recrafted for one who really wanted a vintage look. Here is the shoe from AE, and then an actual 1940s Stetson shoe owned and submitted by @meister . The spade feature really shows well on the outside of the left shoe, against the white background in the image. Anyone up to wearing this look now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

My experience with AE shell is that it fits a lot looser than calf in the same size. I don't have experience in 65 last since it doesn't work for me all that well. But I've had to go 1/2 size down from some lasts when I went with shell. 222 last comes to mind. Alden has a lot more uniformity in calf vs shell.

The good news is that AE has a great return policy.

20. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Doesn't Meccariello do something like this on some of his shoes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.