1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I know the MTO program is gone, but they do still offer some customization. Is there a list or guide to what's available? For example, would they do a #8 Leeds with brown welt and edge for a more casual look? Similar to the Alden Dover for example.

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

@AndyMiddles I own both the Hopkinson and many 65 lasted bals(PA, Strand, McAllister, McTavish, Strandmok). The 201 is basically the same as the 65, but just has a higher instep, which overall makes the shoe feel a bit roomier. If you can't get good closure with the 65 bals in your size or they feel a little on the tight side in the toebox, then likely the 201 will do very well for you in the same size. If you can close a 65 bal after break in, I would suggest going down a width.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Once you get into shell, your wallet will regret it.

I'm just not to the point in life where I'll spend $399 for a shoe that didn't come with a good story. Like for instance, If I found a pair of Carmina shell shoes while shopping at their store in Mallorca, then I might be inclined to splurge a little. The bay has ruined me.

Like these shell Aldens that I recently picked up from ebay for $40. If I were to buy these new, it would run me $680. Value, man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    4 people like this.
  4. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

Got my Higgins Mills in today. Love them and they fit great but disappointed in the quality control. One of the boots has some bad striping that I don't know how was missed. Would anyone keep these boots looking like this? It seems the stripes are in the leather and not just the finish. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

It's a shame the Higgins Mill comes with a Dainite sole instead of a commando sole. They are good lookers, but due to the sole they will not replace the Red Wing Beckman Round on my wish list.

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Yeeeesh. I would not keep those.

7. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Just tried my rutledge on. They are a little long but everything else seems to fit great. Very comfortable. There are signs of being handlef but the eBay seller did a good job of showing the slight areas of wear. Looks like not worn outside of carpet since the soles are clean.

1 person likes this.
  8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Try brushing that area first. Just use a clean brush (not one that you use with dark polish).

9. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Just an anecdote, but living in icey Canada I have found dainite to be just as capable as other lug soles in treacherous conditions.

1 person likes this.
  10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I agree that is a possible approach/solution, but I'd call AE customer service before I did. Let them tell you if it is cool.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Excellent find then as you will absolutely love those shoes. I think the "long" feeling will go away as the sole breaks in.

12. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

The hilfire:
    [​IMG]
    Hilfire and brown pebble MacNeil 2.0:
    [​IMG]
    Hilfire and walnut McAllister:
    [​IMG]
    Hilfire and Oak street natty cxl:
    [​IMG]
    And finally, hilfire and oxblood Dalton (because oxblood is effing sexy):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    3 people like this.
  13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    All this boot talk makes me point out some Eagle Country in 8E at Nordstrom Rack.com.

[​IMG]

14. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

I did try brushing it a bit but it didn't affect it at all. You can kind of feel the lines in the leather. Don't think any heavier brushing would get it out. Took this opportunity to order from Palo Also and get 15% off and will just return these. Sucks. Seems like every pair I buy I have to return at least once in all the shoes I've bought in the past. Sigh...

15. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

FYI to Canadians, Palo Alto store did not charge me shipping to Canada in addition to the 15% discount... pretty good deal on the already discounted shoes.

1 person likes this.
  16. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

LOL! No regrets!

17. TexasTexter

Shoprunner!

18. TexasTexter

Return!

19. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Dude, there are rules here. Pics or it didn't happen!

But seriously, glad it seems they will work out. My favorite AE model, and easily my favorite suit shoe. Formal enough to pair with a suit but enough details to be interesting...

20. TexasTexter

Alumnus in brown looks nice! Has anyone seen the black?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.