1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

I can't believe there is only one retail AE location (South Coast Plaza?). When did the Cabazon Outlet close? I really wish I was into AE shoes earlier so I could have checked it out.

2. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Those look very nice! Mine are a little darker. Are those your own laces? I like the light brown laces. You're lucky you got one of the older Carlyles with the strandard piping. Looks like you got the perfect size too. My Carlyles are slightly more snug at the vamp than the Park Ave, but I love the fit.

I didn't have the heart to sell my merlot PA's. Maybe too long, but I love the color.

[​IMG]

3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Alright, important question. For those of you who love wingtips and highly detailed shoes like the Strand, did you like them to begin with, or was it an acquired taste?

4. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Thanks Lobster! Nope, these are the laces that came with the shoe. I actually prefer the flat laces on these over the round ones from my PAs. I definitely would say the 8 last fits my foot better than the 5. I had less break in time as well as some spacing / bowing around the heel on my PAs.

I agree, I got the Merlot PAs on clearance and they are beautiful. Glad to hear you are keeping them.

Edited - I wish I could give input, but I actually do not have any wingtips. I generally prefer plain or cap toes, but I am sure that will change. Everyone's collections here have made me at least curious to see them in store before I make any final decisions.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  5. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I started with a pair of black PAs then brown PAs. Then I got the McTavish. It was cheap on shoebank so I went for it. Since then I've added.... well everything in my signature. I always liked the walnut strand though, I just didn't think it was something I could get at first until I had rounded out a more usable lineup. Now I'd say I like my PAs least of all. Shell strands and Merlot mcallisters are probably my favorites that I own. I think what I'd like to try next is a boot. Only 1 problem. Nobody wears boots in south florida....

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My first pair of AE were chili Bentons. It has a perfed cap toe and some brogue on the side. This seemed really nice so it was not much of a jump to consider a medallion or wingtip. Really, would one have to "acquire" the desire to wear shoes like @mdubs beautiful Strands that I stole from a different thread or a wingtip like this? Take the plunge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bishopcraiga

bishopcraiga Well-Known Member

Just got off AE chat and they recommended an 11 E for me in the Higgins Mill (11 EEE 5 and 8 last bals). I agree with the E recommendation, but I would have thought 11.5. What say the weasels?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I really wish they had options for whiskey and navy shell.... i'd be all over that even with the semi MTO upcharge on nonshell styles.

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I tired them on yesterday (more details about my visit later this afternoon, including frustration with limited stock and thoughts on some of the fall models). I am 9D in almost all AEs, but many are slightly on the short side. I tired 9.5D and felt it was a little wide and had too much volume. I have a 9.5B and 10B coming in for me try on.

Personally, I'd lean towards the 11.5E.

10. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Were the suede leidens there when they released all the new shoes? Those Navy ones look really interesting, actually both of them do.

1 person likes this.
  11. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Senior member

I started out on plain/captoe shoes. Then I realized that made it more formal, when I needed my shoes to be more casual. I had avoided brogues because i didn't like the style, but for this reason I decided to give them a chance at a reasonable price. It just grew on me from there. same thing with suede. Now I barely have any plain/captoe shoes.

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

My first pair of "nice" shoes post graduation were some black McAllisters and I've never looked back. In fact, my perf-to-nonperf ration is way too high. Even to the point my wife thinks there are duplications.

Q: "Aren't those two pair of brown shoes exactly the same?"

A; "No, dear. That pair is a dark brown calfskin LWB. The other is a cognac shell LWB. They couldn't be more different."[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

They seemed too ornate for me when I first got into high end shoes. I preferred plain toe and then they just just grew on me overtime. Now they are my favorite with medallion cap toe next in line.

14. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

Very nice! That is a great representation of similar conversations many of us on here have had. [​IMG]

15. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Senior member

hate to break it to you, i can only see that heading towards divorce. i hope you get the cognac shell LWB in the separation..

2 people like this.
  16. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Anyone have RDA details? I'm looking at the Liverpool chelsea boot and want to pull the trigger but I know the sale is round the corner...

17. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

My father's dress shoes were a pair of black Florsheim wingtip balmorals, so I think I've always liked them and associated them with dressy shoes. In fact, that's the first nice pair of shoes he took me out to buy in the 8th grade for graduation, etc. Now, I regret letting my wife donate those shoes a few years ago before this obsession started. They were probably made in the USA and everything.

18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Pretty sure those just popped up around the same time the most recent sale started. I like the looks of the suede models more than the fabric models.

19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

My wife also thinks my oxblood and merlot PA's are the same. She kind of has a point there.

Thanks to all who answered my question. I'm basically wondering if I will eventually become like a @Neo1 in the future. No wait -- no way would ever own 50 shoes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Nope, they only had about half of the new models. Some, only in 1 color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.