1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I did this myself.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Wow, I'm amazed! You should start this as a business. I would consider paying you to do this service to one of my shoes.

3. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Bought around a dozen pair of Allen-Edmonds shoes from that seller. Always a good value, but, as others have mentioned (and this applies to everything listed on eBay) look at the pictures, read the description, and if you have any questions, ask the Seller (and if you make an offer, make a reasonable offer).

1 person likes this.
  5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Thanks guys. I think that this was my fifth or sixth shoe that I've re-finished in a new way. (My favorite has probably been the Flatiron.). This turned out a little darker than I had hoped -- it almost looks black.

6. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Man, that thing got some brutal reviews. Pulled out some guy's pants seams!

Do you 114? There's a Concord Ave in my size that's been lowered from $67 to $47! Kohl's territory right there. :butbut:

P-nut Ourtigger has been demoted to $137. How long until they drop the 1?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

While the "last number is the LAST number" rule applied in the past, more recent AE shoes do not follow this convention. Still, its quite helpful for older shoes.

8. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Found myself near an AE store this weekend (how is there only one store in California?) and FINALLY tried on a loafer that I could get my block foot (9EEE) into: The Lake Forest. So question...as this is more of a moc toe, what's the verdict on wearing this loafer with a suit?

As it is currently going for full retail, I decided to hold off until the RDA sale. I will be targeting it in the Oxblood color.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

There are four stores in California, but only the one here in Los Angeles. AE is on the lookout for a second location down here, but nothing finalized.

10. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Ah, this is exciting. Hopefully they put it in Burbank or Pasadena. I hope they don't put it anywhere near downtown or in Hollywood.

1 person likes this.
  11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

For newer shoes I google "review Allen Edmonds (name of style)". This frequently leads to an AE site that describes the shoe, including the last.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Back in the day I LOVED downtown LA. After midnight, nothing but me, the homeless and The Pantry.

1 person likes this.
  13. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Burbank would be incredible (I'm in Encino).

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I don't believe a word of those reviews - I'd love to see that pair of pants or I call bs. WIth those reviews, if there are only a handful, I'm already suspect. If there are a ton, I usually look for a claim across a large volume of them, such as "my Maxfields started squeaking when I walk, etc." - I can confirm that, lol. I was looking for someone on this forum that had experience with them.

Good transition to my next point - here's a "real" review of the Concord, and then I leave it up to you to decide. Do "you 114" is the question? I picked up a handful of drivers for the summer. I sort of have a love/hate thing with AE's drivers. I've owned a lot of drivers in other brands - AE's definitely hold up better than most, they fit decently and are pretty comfortable. It's just that AE seems to have hit it out of the park with the Maritime, Kirkwood and Northland, and the drivers are sort of just - meh. They look super plain, and at MSRP of 175-195, I can't help but think wth are they kidding? I guess people buy them, I wouldn't touch them at those prices. So (like other 114 styles as a matter of fact), the Concord drops way down. I figured at 77.xx for 1st q, I ordered the blue suede and tan saddle. The 114 is absolutely true to size. If you measure a size on the brannock and that is absolutely what you get - not talking 65 or anything like that, I mean TTS to the letter, the 114 fits exactly as advertised. If you're going up/down in length/width, the 114 is very unaccommodating. I thought since the Concord was unlined I'd be ok. With the tan saddle, I went 7D - I'm very close to the front. Not touching the front, but I have very little room. I'm ok with that, but usually to compensate for high arches, I need something either a little roomier in front or a little longer in length (if the vamp is going to be that bad). The 114 has neither. They seem very well built, they're MiUSA, they use a single oak sole (although it is a little more weird, it's like flexible and almost rubbery, hard to explain, but not bad). The tan can go with khakis and denim easily. So good shoes for sure but very difficult fit. After this one, I promised no more 114 styles, don't care how low in price they go, and I've stuck to this easily. Hope this helps - bottom line, absolutely true to size, the shortest last AE uses. I have a Cody in 6.5D that is longer than my 7D Concord. And rough for high arches.

1 person likes this.
  15. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I trust him/her (I think i've gotten messages from multiple people - perhaps it's a married couple?) completely. I've bought several pair from him and sent one pair back. It was a pair of Strands about 2 or 3 years ago before he seemed to get so many "thirds," etc. They were used and it seemed as if the original owner wore them daily and didn't use shoe trees. (so the soles were curled). I had no trouble returning them. Going forward, I always ask him for more pictures if something is unclear and he's happy to oblige. Every other shoe i've purchased have been as or better than expected. He's also a fast shipper and, like someone else said, accepts reasonable offers.

-James

16. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

It better start cooling off soon so I can wear boots. I have a pair of brown Higgins Mill boots on the way - I liked them since I first saw them so the sale price was a sign I needed them (that's my story).

Chris

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  17. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage of my bourbon Carlyles. I got a good deal on them. They do have tiger striping on the left shoe, but to be honest, the fit was great and I don't mind it especially for the price. Too bad the rest of my wardrobe is neglected as I buy more AEs

2 people like this.
  18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black McGregors for Tuesday's Cheap Clothes, Expense shoes. Second wearing. Still on track to be my best fitting pair.

2 people like this.
  19. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

+1. You can also ask them to apply your shoprunner expedited shipping at the retail stores and shoebanks too.

Actually, there are five stores in CA. FOUR in the Bay Area (SF Embarcadero, SF Sutter St., Walnut Creek, and Palo Alto)!

That reminds me, yesterday morning on my drive into the office I heard a radio commercial for AE. Never heard one of those before.

20. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Happy Tuesday! But I can't wait for the next holiday. I would really consider retiring but work gives me a reason to wear nice shoes. Also @FaRKle is correct about that fifth store. I forgot about Palo Alto. The Bay is hogging all of the AE action. This means there is ONE store between Palo Alto and the Mexican border to cover 22 million people. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.