• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorseHorse

Reaction score
Shine is starting to come out nicely after two more coats of polish this evening. The right toe is still driving me crazy though. Should I consider the AE carnuba wax to catch it up with the shine in the left?

Edited for a better photo.

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about?

Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.

I have had similar issues with 3 pairs in past few months (Dalton, Strand and Madison Park), all firsts with the new AE finishing. Instead of the usual crease that I would expect, the creases looked like a web exposing the veins in the leather. In my opinion, it's a combination of subpar quality leather and the lacquered finish. regardless of what AE says, I have noticed that the quality of leather has decreased lately.

Last edited:

danwatts2005

Reaction score

I have had similar issues with 3 pairs in past few months (Dalton, Strand and Madison Park), all firsts with the new AE finishing. Instead of the usual crease that I would expect, the creases looked like a web exposing the veins in the leather. In my opinion, it's a combination of subpar quality leather and the lacquered finish. regardless of what AE says, I have noticed that the quality of leather has decreased lately.

I was going to reply to the OP, but this makes a lot of sense. I am noticing this on my new McTavish, but not on any other pairs, including McAllister, which should really crease in the same place, since it is same design on the same last. I do have minor creasing on Strand, Rush Street, and Hale, but they are all cap-toes and the crease is right on the seam, so it's not as noticeable.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry guys, but I had to post this. This McT seconds just "cracked" me up. Do they actually expect someone to hold on to this? What the hell :)

robster35

Reaction score

i had a pair of McGregor "firsts" that i returned the other day becuz one shoe looked just like that but a bit worse. even if ida bought them as seconds i wouldnt have kept them

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry guys, but I had to post this. This McT seconds just "cracked" me up. Do they actually expect someone to hold on to this? What the hell
smile.gif

That is a little strange. I'd be tempted to ask them to cut the price in half as thirds and go over that with some cream and the back of a spoon & use 'em as beaters.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@middlepP 1) id take the Addison's practically over the sea island any day if I could fit the 234 last, 2) Never tried the Cornwallis, maybe someday, just not really high on my list, 3) sorry...
1f601.png
with or without contrast, the Normandy is just awesome.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rubik1014 You know I bet they would never do what you suggested. I feel like over the years they have been cutting more and more corners, becoming less accommodating, raising prices, etc. If I was coming into the brand now as opposed to before, I bet I wouldn't have stuck with them as long as I had.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 I've seen a crazy range on 2nds. I've seen shell Daltons that looked absolutely immaculate, along with Graysons that looked like someone dragged them over concrete for a hundred miles. You never know.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maintenance question time. How often do you guys condition and/or polish? I might be in the minority here, but I walk from my car to the office (maybe 1000 feet), then I'm walking on carpet the rest of the day. 80% of the time I'm sitting at my desk, the other 20% I might be walking to the break room or just away from my desk to avoid work (trying to get this to about 50/50 but don't tell my boss.) When I get home I'll wipe them down with a cloth, tree them and put them back in the shoe box, awaiting for the next journey.

To sum up, my shoes take forever to break in because I'm hardly walking in them. I've read a few things saying to polish after every 3 to 4 wears and condition maybe quarterly or so? I've worn those strands 4 times to the office now and they look brand new still. Help a rookie please...

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Maintenance question time.  How often do you guys condition and/or polish?  I might be in the minority here, but I walk from my car to the office (maybe 1000 feet), then I'm walking on carpet the rest of the day.  80% of the time I'm sitting at my desk, the other 20% I might be walking to the break room or just away from my desk to avoid work (trying to get this to about 50/50 but don't tell my boss.)  When I get home I'll wipe them down with a cloth, tree them and put them back in the shoe box, awaiting for the next journey.  

To sum up, my shoes take forever to break in because I'm hardly walking in them.  I've read a few things saying to polish after every 3 to 4 wears and condition maybe quarterly or so?  I've worn those strands 4 times to the office now and they look brand new still.  Help a rookie please...

I don't do it that often. Depends on how they look. My walnuts, I just polished twice, and wore them today. I'll be polishing them before I wear them again. I can wear Bourbon or Dark Chili for quite a while between polishes.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about?

Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.

Had something similar on my Sauk Dr.'s. I suppose I can expect something like that on the thicker leather of the Sauk, and I was OK with it, since I figure they would wrinkle and crease over time anyway. I did use some AE leather lotion on them, and it helped a little.

Picture is right after unboxing. Don't have a fresh picture just now.

misterellington

Reaction score
While I know chili "goes" with navy, it still looks odd to me. Trying to break the black shoe rut. Yes, the "V" is on the wide side, but there is nothing to be done about it and the remainder of the shoe fits great.

That with a camel hair blazer is a helluva outfit—with an ice blue shirt? Bawse! And I LOVE the Fairfax! Such an interesting “wholecut” style with a punched as opposed to a sewn/pieced wingtip pattern. I have a pair in black that are SOOOOOOO comfortable it's silly. Love this color too. I'd rock the hell outta that in the warm months.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about? Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.
Had something similar on my Sauk Dr.'s. I suppose I can expect something like that on the thicker leather of the Sauk, and I was OK with it, since I figure they would wrinkle and crease over time anyway. I did use some AE leather lotion on them, and it helped a little. Picture is right after unboxing. Don't have a fresh picture just now.
Your Sauk Drives are a completely different leather. They are a Dublin leather which will crackle/wrinkle/pull up in areas where it creases. It is a nature of the leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads