1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Neuromas (freudian slip becayse I was just diagnosed with one) have the square toe of the 333 last. It could just be an MTO.
    I take the same length in all of those last's. As others have said, TB is quite wide in the forefoot and toebox. For reference, I wear a 10.5 EEE in all AE lasts, and a 10.5 E in TruBalance. A word of caution, though. TB is so comfortable and orthopedic ally designed that it has kind of ruined my AE boots for me. None of them come anywhere close to the comfort of my Indy boots. Either do my Barrie last Aldens, for that matter. Closest contender is Vass Peter 2 last.
    They loom dry AF to my eyes. Give them a good buffing to see if you can express some fats and raise a shine. If not, then break out ye conditioner. This site swears by Bick4, although Kexol will do fine as well.
    The shearling First Ave in country grain is your best bet. That or fork over the 1400 for some Edward Green Galways in country calf.

2. firefit

firefit Well-Known Member

Could you link me to the bick4 conditioner that is for cordovan colored cordovan leather? I thought Saphir renovateur would work magic though. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.
    The boys shooting the Krieghoffs can afford those Galways. Not me.

4. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

So I've asked for opinions on a few things lately as I'm trying to decide what my next AE purchase will be so I'm taking a poll. I'm really debating between a MTO Dalton with a mini-lug sole or the Cornwallis (Dark Chili for both). Here is my current 'inventory':

Park Ave - Black
    Strand - Midnight Navy
    Strand - Bourbon
    McAllister - Merlot
    McAllister - Walnut (Dainite sole)
    McAllister - Dark Brown Burnished
    McAllister - Bourbon
    McGregor - Bitter Chocolate Suede
    Delray - Chili
    Neumok - Brown Distressed
    Strandmok 2.0 - Grey Suede
    J&M Morrel - Grey Suede
    J&M Hannigan Captoe - Tan Brush Off

What do you gentlemen think?

5. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

LOL! I like the exotic stuff. I have a pair of Anderson Bean in Ostrich. I think my fav of the new stuff so far is the Liverpool. I keep putting it on and just admiring it and the way it fits. It to me is a very sharp looking boot and I like Chelseas. These really hug your foot. As for the Neumok it like my Normandy is sitting on the shelf for now. I have a bunch of casual shoes but not too many Allen Edmonds ones. Most of my casual stuff is Cole Haan Zero Grand. I have a Brisbane, Neumok blue and Strandmok 2.0 Adriatic and the Baton Rouge in blue and orange. The rest are dress shoes. Since I wear a suit everyday I need a refined shoe. I just picked up the 5th Street boot and like it. I wonder about the Cordovan Dalton for winter but I am not sure you could wear it with a suit.

6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Edit: Oh God, I'm a moron. I read your post wrong. I guess I lost my brain this week.

I suggest Carlyle, Leeds, or Oak Street.

7. TexasTexter

Oddly enough I have the walnut Brisbane and to me the toe box is small. I like that I can remove the insole and it gives more room. Maybe I should have gotten a 13 in it.

8. TexasTexter

I like the Rush Street. There were a few on eBay the other day and I almost pulled the trigger but I felt it was too much like a Strand or my Acorn Hilfire Neumok. I regret not buying this shoe in blue when I had a chance. It went to clearance and poof it was gone before I had a chance to get it. Still regret that.

9. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Spoopoker. Balearic1 on eBay. Great selection of sizes and brands, much of it NWT. He gives a lot of measurements, so you can really dial in fit (or at least know what alterations you're going to need).
    Now I want to know why AE was holding out on us; we would have seen some sick make ups during the MTO glory days if that was common knowledge!

I keep almost pulling the plug on some Galways from Westley Richards, since they somehow have them several hundred dollars cheaper than everyone else. Then I remember that I want to stay married.

10. TexasTexter

Glad to see I am not the only one that has multiples of the same style! All my friends say I am crazy not to have more variety. I have a Midnight Strand, Bourbon Strand, Merlot Strand and 5 or 6 Neumoks. I don't own a McAlister but I have a Merlot pair in my study I am thinking about. Again, I think I have gone a bit Merlot crazy. Maybe I should stop with the Park Avenue and the Strand. I have a decision to make, sitting in the floor in my study is a Merlot: McAlister, Randolph too. Maybe that is too much. Then I look at the Liverpool beside it and think I'd rather have one of these as both of the others! LOL.

11. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Dalton!

2 people like this.
  12. TexasTexter

What is the shearling?

13. TexasTexter

Dalton is nice. Do you have mostly casual dress or business dress?

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Fuzzy lambskin lined I believe...

15. TexasTexter

I like Brooks Brothers and Nordstroms and sometimes Dillards.

16. firefit

Bumping post on the fit. Really need some advice on this one guys!
    I see minor gaping on my right shoe but then again the laces don't look as tightened.

17. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

That's basically where I shop. If you monitor BB sales, you can get some killer deals on the premium stuff.

18. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Fit looks great. If they feel a little snug, that should be fine. But if your feet feel like the blood flow is restricted, then they are too tight. My Leeds are snug too, but I like that fit better than being too big. Keep in mind that most shoes will stretch out a little bit over time.

1 person likes this.
  19. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

Mix really. Conservative company, but mostly business casual. I just try to have nice shoes at least :)

1 person likes this.
  20. firefit

Although I don't post much, I can definitely say I would rather choose the Dalton as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.