1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I usually pay between $40-100 for good AE shoes on eBay. Some you win, some you lose. For instance the pair of vintage (82-83) Chesnutt Chesters that I wore today that had maybe 5-10 wears on them that I paid $40 for.

[​IMG]

Or merlot Hopkinson for $85.

[​IMG]

Malverns for $40.

[​IMG]

Harrisons for $40.

[​IMG]

Patience is the key. The hunt is my addiction and the better the deal, the better the fix.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    4 people like this.
  2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Here are some better pics of my recently acquired navy suede Dundee 2.0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

8 people like this.
  3. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

@MattRivI love those pickups and the price makes them even better! I saw a Hopkinson but the backstay (I think that is what it is called) has a tear in the leather. It looks bad so I will patiently wait

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

All it takes is a little cajoling to turn a docile ferret into a full-blown weasel. Get in there!

1 person likes this.
  5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Don't be afraid to pass on a shoe you like/want that is too beat up for the price. eBay is a value based platform.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I was so pissed when i missed pulling the trigger on these when they were on clearance. Thanks for rubbing it in.

7. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have to play another round of "To keep, or not to keep...." with the Rogues I just received, purchased during the clearance sale.

First is the condition: there's a fairly decent rough spot in the leather that's a quarter-inch long or so, along with some discoloration.

Second, the overall fit might be a little big. Maybe because I wore my McCallisters for a full day yesterday, but it seems like I'm swimming in the Rogues. I'm a 9 1/2 3E in the 65 last, and the Rogues feel a half-size too long...I have a TON of room in toe toe box. The width is almost spot-on, though.

Opinions? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I have mixed opinions on the discoloration and the spot, but if they don't fit I'd absolutely return them.

2 people like this.
  9. Deaf Gentleman

Deaf Gentleman Member

I usually don't mind the discoloration on the upper sections of the shoes/boots that can be covered by the trousers/jeans. That shoes of yours have discolorations on the bottom section of the shoes that will be visible. That's just me.

Beside you said you have plenty of room in its toe box. That sounds too big for you, and I'd return it if I were you. Sorry about the bad luck.

10. Echoes14

Echoes14 Well-Known Member

This is my first shoe on the 201 last....I think I'm going to go into the store tomorrow and try a different size on, to see where I fall.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The 201 is definitely roomy in the toe box. I would definitely return and try a 9EEE.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Echoes14 The 201 was made specifically for people who had trouble with the 65, so if the McAllister is that good, it stands to reason the same size rogue won't be. Other than the half size down, it might be worth it to try some balmorals also.

I have two rogues now. Same size as most others, including 65. They initially felt right at the cusp of being too large, but re-lacing them very tight and wearing medium weight socks, they are very comfortable - especially after getting killed by the cody's vamp [​IMG]

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@MattRiv Ha, tell me about it. I still have yet to make an eBay purchase. Just wait until I start with that - scary thought.

1 person likes this.
  14. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Those Harrisons are incredibly full of win, they all are.

I share this obsession. Since I have space, I consider any shoe that I might like for $40-$100 in the playful miscellaneous category rather than a real shoe purchase. Allows me to explore lasts, materials, models etc that I might not usually consider and, like my $100 black calf Bayfields, many items in this category are completely unobtanium for years. (though, Bayfields are rumored to be returning!)

I have my honed search on eBay saved as a link on my browser favorites bar, checked often.
    Details:

search is set for:
    allen edmond (leave the S off, because all properly spelled items will show AND a few improperly spelled items will also show-if seller spells item allen edmond, you will not see it if you search with the s, but you will not miss anything if you search without the s)

1 newly listed,
    2 size 15,
    3 D width,
    4 e width,
    5 width not named

3, 4 and 5 result in a reduction of any item clearly identified as width A, B or C, which I know won't fit me, and 2e and 3e which generally I won't try.

I recently bought these 15EEE old school chestnut Lexingtons for $50 shipped, soles look like 1 wear, maybe 2. Not a size I would normally try, and not sure but thought maybe 65 last and wanted to try them, they fit great after 1 day of wear so far, with an orthotic in them to eat up a little space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And currently have a Sunday morning, 425am snipe bid set on a pair of suede wingtips with orthotic inserts: I see one bidder at $69, but do not want that bidder to know of my interest, so will bid with 8 seconds left in auction. Not sure model of this one, but the orthotic insert leads me to think 678 or 511g, or some earlier roomy variation. Hope no one here is the 1st bidder, if so tell me and I will remove my snipe immediately.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

What do you use to set up your snipe bids?

16. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

I use gixen and have used it for years (probably close to 10 if not more). I pay the $6 or $8 for an annual subscription and I get two snipes (one regular and one mirror).

Even before the annual payment I've never had a fail. I used to collect sports cards back in the day and would use it multiple times per week. Curious as to what others use.

17. roz77

roz77 Senior member

I'm gonna bump this just to see if anyone has experienced this. I don't have a picture currently, but it just looks like the finishing is coming off. I'm heading into an AE store tomorrow to talk to someone about it, just wanted to see if anyone had seen something similar.

18. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

@jzrhwinnj thanks for the eBay search suggestions. Good luck with your latest snipe

19. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

@roz77 sorry about the finish coming off of your shoes. I unfortunately do not have much experience in that area. Hopefully other members or the store can shed some light on what is going on.

20. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Played 54 holes yesterday (split the time between my two AE shoes of course, 27 each) and thought that was a lot until I learned a 60 year old lady played 63. My body pretty much hates me today.

On a good note, these Oak Streets (RUBBER SOLES!) are perfect. I'm really digging the combo with the green pants too.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.