1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply. Again, being new to the whole shoe obsession, I am still unclear how to differentiate between a Balmoral and a blucher. I am very interested in the Dundee, but as I have said, Ive never worn anything like it. That is definitely on my list of shoes to check out once I head to the B&M store in a few weeks

2. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I was lucky enough to find a pair of Rutledges in walnut that fit me from the shoebank. Absolutely worth $300 if its new. Do not hesitate for a second.

1 person likes this.
  3. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Balmorals have the "closed" lacing (think V shape) and are more formal than the "open" lacing of the blutcher/derby styles (if you removed the laces you could slide your finger from the vamp all the way up to the top of the tongue).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I've had a cabin in the Poconos since I was a little boy in the 60s (on the mountain next to Camelback) and would not choose Dainite soles ever / for winter especially.
    Would prefer a heavy lug anytime.

Since leather soles offer less insulation from temperature AND from moisture, I'd prefer a heavy lugged Vibram outsole over a mini lug, especially any toppy-type lugs that would attach to a leather outsole.

To stay dryer, I would add a reverse welt / storm welt to any Dalton, or more likely might choose a Long Branch which comes with the rubber sole, storm welt and is cheaper.

If you can find a Long Branch pair that you like, you are there already without changes and can find some severe discounts at times...like new seconds for $199.

If there is room in the closet, consider the shearling lined First Aves; I changed mine to a lugged sole and loved them last winter.

Also, I agree with earlier posts, Bourbon is gone, and the Dalton is great though without at least a storm welt, I wouldn't choose it for Pocono winters.

1 person likes this.
  5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Haha. I think most of us have roughly the same story as to how we got into shoes. I started out with a walnut Strand and now I have 17 pairs of just Allen Edmonds.

I don't know your style, but like others have said, I would try and add some casual shoes/bluchers/boots/loafers.

6. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger on the Rutledge

3 people like this.
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I've got a basically brand new pair of walnut Rutledges for sale right now!

Who wants them? 11D.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

[​IMG]

Haven't had a lot to share and work has consumed me the past couple months. But here is a horrible picture of my freshly cleaned Mcgregors and some Surly beer after a long day in which my shoes needed love.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I am very excited to get them in. I was initially about 50/50 on whether or not to buy the shoes, but the recommendations from everyone here made it a no-brainer. I plan to pick up many more, but my wallet needs a rest...at least until the next sale haha.

Ah got it, thank you for the heads up. I am definitely going to give a good look at the Dundee after the Hopkinson. After that, the possibilities are both thrilling and terrifying [​IMG]

17 pairs...first that sounded nuts, but after 3 shoes in less than a month and a half, I can easily see this getting there. I am definitely interested in the bluchers and boots. Never been much of a fan of loafers, but I wanted to explore their casual shoes a little bit more when I have more readily available funds. Thanks!

Edited - I just saw your post above with your Rutledges. Very nice! I can't wait to get mine in and give them some TLC before posting some pictures.

10. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

I just ordered a pair of 9177 Shell Cordovan MacNeils and paid for them already. I was told it would take about 6 weeks for them to be made at the factory and then they would be shipped to me. Has anyone else gone through this process and how long did it actually take?

11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Awesome. Prepare for your collection to triple if you keep hanging around this place...

Morning Lobster wears black Leeds (sorry for the dust from moving).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Hino

Hino Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words...and I am trying to prepare for that. Hoping to keep my obsession to a reasonable pace of buying, but we all know how futile that is. Great looking shoes!

1 person likes this.
  13. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Verona II's again today- easily the most comfortable shoes I own. It feels like I'm wearing slippers:
    [​IMG]

Coincidentally, I just realized that I'm wearing bits up top as well (Brooks Brothers Country Club):
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@SLCRich - I seriously crack up every time I see morning, afternoon or evening Rich. Now that @Lobster33 has jumped into the mix, my shoe game is feeling a little left out.

I wear these red cxl Kirks as my house shoes, so I guess I average at least 2 AEs per day. Unfortunately 'bumming around the house mP' doesn't have the same ring...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Did you do anything to them? I've got the same pair, and those fargin' bastiges have shredded the back of my left heel twice. And they don't feel like they're slipping or moving. I'm not looking forward to the third time! [​IMG]

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Can I seriously be the only one on Instagram using the #filthybarnweasels hashtag? Time to step up, troops!

2 people like this.
  17. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    Back in the Madison Parks. Boy, I wish I had 2-3 more brown options...

1 person likes this.
  18. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Obvious solution is to get 2-3 more options....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I concur. I'm normally a 12B but I got my Verona IIs in 11D. It's the only size i've tried on (so I don't know, maybe 12B would be amazing), but they fit like slippers. Regular socks or loafer socks (sockless), they're just comfortable. I didn't want a pair in brown previously (as I was drawn to the black), but now I definitely do!

-J

20. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I don't know if the back of the leather is becoming more supple or if the back of my heels are becoming more robust. I used Saphir Renovator on the part of the leather that tore up my heal (to help in removing the blood stains) and I think that it has started to soften up the material. Today's wearing experience is far more pleasant than the previous 2 times.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.