1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm928

gm928 Senior member

That's too bad, but good to know.

Count de Monet's tip about Herring shoes that are really re-branded Loakes might also be good. The Herring Babbacombe model is a dead ringer for the Loake Aldwych, but with a slightly different heel, and Herring definitely still ships here. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/babbacombe_oxford/

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I emailed with Loake about this and they claimed to be trying to establish a list of US "stockists" so they were restricting exports. Allegedly Robinson's Shoes out of Ireland will still ship Loakes to the US. Haven't tried though. BTW Robinson's sells what looks to be one of the prettiest pair of brogues I have ever seen. I also like the Barker Indiana. Maybe some day...

http://www.robinsonsshoes.com

3. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

This being Texas, it's like the dress shoe version of spurs lol.

4. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Sounds like how my 9D Strands fit. I measure a 8.75 D-ish with what I am concluding is a narrow heel. Perhaps I should have tried an 8E.

5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I just tried Herringshoes and it gives me a message that they cannot ship to America. Robinsons it is, if I decide to order. Amazon.co.uk has them too, but is too expensive.

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-read your post the first time.

The Aldwych is about 280 right now with free shipping. Tempting. Going to wait and see if the pound drops some more.[​IMG]

6. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Visited my local AE retail establishment this evening for a quick try-on session. I know I'm new around here, but the suede Strand is a beauty in the snuff color.

Tried on Shelton, Hopkinson, and Exchange Place. Hopkinson fit the best. Shelton, in spite of being on the same last, had too much room for me up front and didn't close up very well at all. Don't know what to make of that. Exchange Place fit OK in the instep, but crowded the toes on old righty where the shoe starts to taper. Would consider trying a larger size, but didn't care for the creasing on the cap portion of the toe.

The newer casual options looked nice but the clock ran out. I especially liked the looks of the Neumok 2.0 in Kudu and the Academy and Alumnus looked good in person as well. All three looked like great shoes to wear with denim and will be the focus of my next visit.

They did not have the funky new Leidens.

1 person likes this.
  7. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Could it also be a narrow heel? Seems to happen most in my Fifth Aves which are my next to oldest pair but to a lesser degree in other pairs. To me, the Fifth Ave soles feel quite flexible at this point. Certainly not out-of-the-box stiff. In fact, except for this issue that can creep up, they are quite a pleasure to walk in. But of course as soon as the soreness occurs, all of that is canceled out.

8. FranklinMadison

FranklinMadison Member

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Regents Streets today, from 2012. My first AEs. Holding up quite well, I think.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Could be, yes. Could also be that your shoes are either too wide or too long. How old are the Fifth Aves? How many times have you worn them?

11. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

It took a couple of tries but I finally got a brown Manistee belt from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale that is light enough to match my Shell Strands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    5 people like this.
  12. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

[​IMG] It's not C&J? Otherwise, I've made a mistake in testing the GMTO waters with them, re: the P&Co shell wingtip... [​IMG]

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

GDit I'm shellous.

1 person likes this.
  14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The shell models are CJ. Breathe easy!

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    @Neo1 s appreciation of lug soles made me pull out another pair that do not get the rotation time they deserve. These are my own "MTO" chili Bentons. Recrafted at the factory and moved to the mini lug sole, visible heel stack and then added exposed brass eyelets. They make a nice casual shoe with jeans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Hope everyone is staying dry out there. I stepped in some major puddles yesterday, and with heavy rain in the forecast again today, my options were slightly limited. Most of my bad weather, rubber soled shoes just weren't going to cut it. Almost reached for the Normandy again, but then remembered these grain First Aves that had been stored for fall/winter. (Plus... gasp!... I didn't want to wear the same pair twice in one week.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

I'm not ruling anything out. The Fifth Aves were purchased probably in early April. They are worn 1-2 times per week. They started out pretty snug across the forefoot and now I can wiggle my toes in there. There doesn't SEEM to be too much room up front. I do seem to spend a lot of time adjusting the tension of my laces.

18. kooza26

kooza26 New Member

Hey guys can I get your opinion on these shoes (Allen Edmunds Redan Street Oxford)? there seems to be a more common golf shoe version out there with the spikes, the street version is a lot less common (in fact i couldn't find these in stock anywhere online, even on Ebay!). My concern is matching the rest of my outfit, as they have two different colors. In addition, since they make a golf shoe version with the spikes, I am also concerned about them looking too much like golf shoes. I'm looking at them as more of a casual dress shoe, as opposed to a work shoe. Any thoughts?

I paid $150 for them in store at Nordstrom Rack and they are returnable

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much about them being seen as a golf shoe (it wasn't my first impression). Pairing it might be a little more difficult. I was going tosuggest khakis or navy chinos but I'm not totally sure. I am struggling to see it with jeans at all.

20. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chili MacNeils for a Wingtip Wednesday edition of Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes. These being my oldest and most expensive pair as I paid pretty close to full price. :brick:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.