1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

I was considering the chili Poplar belt with the chili Carlyle's.. Will this not match well?

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Another raining day calls for more lug sole goodness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

They should match. I don't mind a little difference in color between the shoes and belt, but some people are really picky on this. The bigger concern will be to make sure your belt doesn't develop cracks early on. These belts are known for cracking, so inspect carefully.

4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

You can also call a store and ask a SA how well they match. They had a different chili color in the past that is not quite the same. I think currently the chili color is bob's chili though. They should match but just ask to be sure. No harm in calling.

5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

The Leeds 2.0 price has gone up to $435?!?! [​IMG] Glad I bought mine already.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

MacNeils and Dundees are up to $435 also. Glad I just picked up my Dundees on clearance - that makes it 60% off now. Chris

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Whoah. They're in Carmina/Crockett price territory now.

8. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

Received my Randolph Merlot loafers I ordered from the AE clearance section, but unfortunately, they'll be going back. Length and width was perfect, but the instep was super tight. Wore them around the house to see if I could live with it, and ended up with electric red marks across my instep, and my right foot may actually have a tiny bruise now. I think they would have broken in some over time, but I doubt they would ever become truly comfortable like my other AE shoes.

Does the Randolph have a particularly low instep? Or are there AE loafers with a higher instep? I'd really love a good pair of loafers for the fall.

9. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bourbon Fifth Aves for Tuesday.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I am in the same boat. I bought some Randolphs and they really bit me on my instep. After a few wearings I couldn't take it any more. We hired a new kid out of college (I can say that since I'm 50) and he was asking about Allen Edmonds. Turns out he was the same size as me so he got some near new Randolphs (fit him like a glove) and a couple of other pairs of AE I hadn't worn in a while.

Look at the Grayson if you don't mind a tassle. Those fit me fairly well. Maybe the Cody - it fits lower across the top of your foot, but that might not be your style.

I haven't tried the Cavanaugh but you might take a look - it is supposed to be a bit fuller across the ball of your foot. I can't wear the Patriot but a lot of people on here like them.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  11. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Afternoon Lobster wears Carlyles. Ready for the heat.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I agree this is getting pretty steep for AE shoes. If they are close to C&J prices across the board I will certainly start exploring them instead. at $436 its at Carmina prices basically. Even at $395 the difference in price for many of the shoes is $50.

EDIT: As I'm looking now the prices are $395. Perhaps page error.

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Oh, maybe you are right. It's back to $395 now.

14. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

I agree that it was up there before in error...

...because they put it up too soon. Which is a joke... and not a funny one. Think their shoes are going to be 10% better? GTFO. [​IMG]

Favorable exchange rates, here I come. 16% discount on English makers, purely due to year-on-year currency change? Now price competitive? Don't mind if I do...

15. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@hohneokc The Cody is far more painful than the Randolph...trust me on that. [​IMG]

Grayson - yeah, I'll agree there but I'm surprised with all the Verona talk that hasn't come up. When the vamp is more flexible, when the material used is softer leather or even suede, it makes a hell of a difference. The shanley (or suede Acheson) is another good choice. Btw, you should try the rialto if you want real pain....

16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Yup, special order.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, fully expect the hike to happen with the fall collection.

In other news, the CJ Pembroke comes out to $445 through Pediwear due to the low exchange...

Also, IMO they got the pattern totally off on the Washington Square austerity brogue. I'm not sure why they couldn't have just used the old Ardsley Park pattern (maybe minus the pinking):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    One of the new styles, the "Thousand Oaks," is a casual short wing made of chamois leather. It's description is a mystery as the sole is "XL Henry rubber sole" and its built in the 2321 last. The last is not described on the AE website and I have no idea what the XL Henry sole looks like, other than the lug appearance on the image. Anyone know about these variables? Does AE make any other chamois leather shoes or have this sole on anything else?
    [​IMG]

19. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

For some reason the shoes had a Custom Sole selected as default. Weird.

20. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Same boat I'm in (and now I'm glad I didn't order the Randolph...). The Patriot was super painful across the top of the foot, but the Cavanaugh has been fantastic. The Grayson is also a very comfortable fit for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.