Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

V gap looks normal. I would say you are in the clear, but make sure there is no bowing at the ankles or excess leather across your mid foot.

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

A little smaller gap would be better, but I agree; especially with the other advice on fitment. Two things to keep in mind: 1) make sure the socks you wore when you tried those are what you expect to wear with them in the future. Since you said they were snug, thicker socks probably won't work. 2) Just because those fit you well, when you find a deal, the pair you get may not fit as well. There is variance, so the next pair might be too small, or if your lucky fit better.

3. robster35

robster35 Senior member

that almost makes me wanna just go splurge and pay full price at the store since i know they fit lol

i actually had on slightly thicker socks. athletic socks when i tried these on.

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Thats good. I usually go with the thickest socks I ever expect to wear to be safe. As for splurging, don't let what I said spook you, remember you may also get a pair that fits you better. Normally, the variance is more of a nuisance.

5. mykoh

mykoh Well-Known Member

Here's some pics of my feet in the 6.5E:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It fits pretty much perfectly in terms of length.
    Would a wider width help with V-gaps? Or is length the only solution for that?

6. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

That "V-gap" looks fine to me. A wider width will usually close the gap some, but don't go too wide such that your heel is loose. To check the length I'd feel where the ball joint of your foot is along the side of the shoe and compare that to where the widest part of the shoe is. If they match up you're good on length. Also, check if there's any bowing out on the sides of the shoe when you stand. If it does, you'll need to go up a width.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Your good as long as you feel they fit you well everywhere else.

8. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

There's been talk recently about v-gaps on the balmorals. It seems folks want a tight or closed v-gap? Is this even achievable? Are the expectations realistic?

I'm already wearing EE on the 65 last and E on the 201 and there is no way I'm going to get a tight v-gap without making my feet explode. And I don't think I have freakishly wide feet.

9. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I think mdub's amazingly perfect fit in his Strands has given me unrealistic expectations.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

In the long run, its whats acceptable to YOU, but the "standard" is not more than 1/2" at the top. Then again, if its so wide, that you see the side edge of the tongue, I don't think anyone would accept that as correct. Sometimes a last just doesn't work for some people. If you have a high instep, then your likely going to have problems on the 65 unless you're willing to sacrifice on something else (like optimal length or width).

I believe that AE came out with the 201 is precisely for that reason, to get better fits for people with higher insteps, while trying to keep the general shape of the 65.

In my case, I can usually get away with it if I don't bar lace. Maybe I'm not bar lacing correctly, but I can get better results if I just lace normal, though I wish I could bar lace my dressier shoes.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

11. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

So I have been wanting the Sea Island for a while, but I unfortunately wear a narrow width (A or B), and the Sea Island hasn't been produced in any of those widths.

Well, I finally caved in early January and special ordered my size. They said it would take 6 or so weeks, which turned out to be true, but I finally got my 11.5B Sea Islands!..... Unfortunately, there was a mix up with the order, and they ordered them in the WRONG COLOR! I was hoping to get the darker brown shade (Acorn I believe), but instead I got the lightest tan color. I have already worked it out with the customer service team (who are all very nice), and I am going to send these back and have the proper color made up.

But since I have the shoes for now, I figured I would share them with y'all. First, the suede is super soft -- best suede I've ever seen -- and the construction is great, no flaws or blemishes I can see. Second, they are unlined, and are a little "floppy." I wish they were a little stiffer given that it is a loafer, and you don't want a lot of "give" in the vamp. I snapped a few pictures, and I put my Kirkwood in the shot for comparison sake.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kirkwood for comparison:

[​IMG]

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@ace13x Some really good advice from you my man! Maybe I can take a little hiatus - I think you've got the fit questions well covered.

13. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Quote:
    Agree - your v-gap looks fine to me. Width would help close it, but based on the photo and your description, you're definitely not a 6.5EEE.

14. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Glad it worked out! If the slight pressure is on the side only (not the side and front of your smaller toes), this should get better as the shoes break in (that will also tighten the v-gap). If the toes don't loosen enough, the shoes can be stretched a bit as well. 6.5E is probably your true size (the 65 last is a bit cramped in the toe box).

15. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Wow. Despite being on my favorite last and a design I should like, the Flatiron has never really called to me, but these look spectacular. I may have to reconsider. How do you like them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.