1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Considering the brown Odenwalds were calling my name at $177, they're pretty much screaming at me for $137. Guess I'll be calling during lunch today to order a pair.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@peppercorn78 Do you have anything else similar to the northland - like a 114 last loafer or something like that? The patriot has a really odd fit. Pure length I feel like the northland was about the same. Northland heel is more normal, less narrow. Toe is pretty roomy. Do you have a Kirkwood / maritime? Very similar, just a little narrower and more rigid. For the price they're a steal.

3. flaminiom

flaminiom Active Member

Ugh. Extra 20% off finally got me to cave on a pair of merlots plus belt.

1 person likes this.
  4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I have been wanting to get a pair of the Strandmok 2.0s but just not for the price. I also was unsure about grey suede or the brown suede. I landed on the grey because I have the sea island in olive and mcgregors in brogue suede. These sales and the AE ebay store are killing me though. Like I need to setup a deliberate rotation schedule going forward and stop buying new ones. On the bright side my closet smells of leather and cedar...

1 person likes this.
  5. Kkoa12h

Kkoa12h Member

1. AE Premium polish to restore the color in the shoe.

2. "Spit" shine using a little AE Brown wax.

1 person likes this.
  6. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Dundees today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I haz no loafers. :(

comes from having very odd shaped feet. but, at 100$ish, it's worth a try. Can always return if sad trombone...

thanks for helping, tho! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. roz77

roz77 Senior member

Has anyone had problems with the finish coming off on Walnut Strands? I purchased a pair last October-ish, and after a few months the finish was coming off pretty significantly. It was to the point that I walked into my local AE store while wearing them and the two sales associates immediately noticed something was wrong with them. They replaced them at no charge. However, after another few months with the new pair, it looks like the finish is started to come off them as well, albeit not quite so bad. I've tried polishing them, but the lighter areas where the finish is coming off is still very visible. And I'm almost certain it's not just due to my roughing up the shoes. I have another pair of Strands and two pairs of McAllisters with some scuffs, but they don't look like the finishing is coming off. If I remember correctly, the sales associate told me last October when I get the first pair that they had recently changed the Walnut finishing, and I wonder if that has something to do with my difficulties.

9. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

sweet and you were able to get them in the merlot color too! didn't realize how much the 201 last fit better for high instep until i saw your pic. are you the same size in 201 as you are in the 65 last?

10. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I feel your pain. I've had to resist a number of opportunities that were so close to being trigger-worthy. Unfortunately, with a kid getting ready for braces in our house, funds are low. I haven't bought anything since January, and that was a pair of Normandy boots from our favorite eBay seller. Last purchase from AE/Shoebank was over a year ago, when they had the tan saddle Gobi for $97. I'm currently about 2 boots and 2 shoes shy of a really solid, year-round, Chicago-weather rotation, so I'm trying to maximize value here with any future purchase. Brown Odenwald seems to really hit that sweet spot for a casual work environment and weekend usage.

11. aero25

aero25 Senior member

This is one of the best parts of buying new shoes!

12. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Boardroom's today:
    [​IMG]

Also, forgot to post this- found a chocolate suede AE belt at Nordstrom Rack for $40. No issues, and a perfect match for my suede Strands:
    [​IMG]

Also (part II), ordered a pair of black NIB Verona II's from eBay this morning. Not a planned purchase, but I had been wanting some black bit loafers ever since my Cole Haan Ascot II's gave up the ghost last year (and I didn't want Gucci's)

1 person likes this.
  13. Kkoa12h

Kkoa12h Member

Black Arezzos since the forecast called for wet weather when I left home today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

[​IMG]

Shannon Drives have been good luck for upgrades. Time to head home...

15. orange fury

Amen to this. This, plus all the additional cedar I have in my closet (hangar rings, hanging blocks, some random 2x4s, bags of cedar shavings, etc) means that my closet smells like a cedary, leathery wonderland.

My closet smells like manliness and freedom.

2 people like this.
  16. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the risk of sparking an all-day undershirt conversation, here is another installment of "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Inauguration day for these Black McGregor factory seconds. These have the potential to be my best fitting pair. A shame, too, because they're black.

2 people like this.
  17. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

I don't currently have a penny loafer in rotation, so I bit at the merlot Randolph. I have a pair of burgundy Meermins that I just polish with dark brown cream right now, I'm assuming I should invest in some appropriately colored cream for these, however?

18. orange fury

I've been very tempted to get the Merlot Randolph, but with Verona II's incoming, 2 pairs of Cavanaughs, and the Graysons that I'm waiting for the RDA sale to purchase, I'm not really hurting for another pair of loafers.

19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

My Mcgregor's have been ordered and waiting for them to come to the store in Miami and then my buddy will ship them to me. Why do you say it's a shame cuz they're black? Do you regret your purchase?

20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I've been wearing $7 Calvin Klein white undershirts from Marshall's/TJ Maxx for 15 years, I see no reason to change now.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.