1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior Member

Did you buy a Rogue? I believe I saw they are down to 6.5D and I think 15D for $177 on AE.com.

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

Thank you for the feedback - Yup, in the comparison pic the shoe on the right is the Stratton. The mark on the sole in the photo is just a smudge from wearing today, there is no marking to represent a recraft or second. I do wonder though if the MacNeil was ever re-crafted as the sole does not look like the traditional AE sole although the rubber heel does. Unfortunately I do not have an AE store anywhere around me, but I do have a Brooks Brothers store that sells AEs. I assume this may be frowned upon, but I may go into the BB store to try on different sizes/lasts for the sole purpose of pinpointing my size/width to then purchase more accurate on ebay, SF classifieds, or the seconds store.

3. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

If thats your plan, I would try Nordstroms if there is one near you. The BB AE's have poron insoles, which some claim effects their sizing.

Edit: Its not uncommon to size different on different lasts, or balmorals vs bluchers on the same last, even the same shoe in different leathers. So make sure you try a variety of shoes and take notes.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

4. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Walnut First Avenue boots: How would I wear them?

5. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior Member

With just about anything you'd wear a normal non formal shoe. I wear my walnut first aves with chinos, jeans and casual suits to my office.

Edited: thought you said Daltons, not first aves!

My walnut first aves were my first purchase and they are my favorite pair I own.

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

I think that is a great idea to go to BB to get fitted, although they may have limited selection of widths. I went to the AE store to get fitted over the weekend, then returned a ill fitting pair of strands to Nordstrom and they did not have the 12B that I needed. They informed me that they typically only carry the D width in AE shoes unless someone returned an odd size to that location. So you might want to contact BB and ask if they have a variety of sizes before you go.

Otherwise I would definitely read up on how to size yourself because you never know if you'll have someone helping you that is knowledgable. This came back to haunt me after my Norstrom purchase and I bought several more 11Ds that I'm trying to figure out what to do with at the moment. So make sure you get it right! Definitely use a brannock and look into each last to find how it should fit based on that.

7. mykoh

mykoh Well-Known Member

THIS.

I'm wearing McAllisters 6.5E right now and what a difference going up in width makes.
    The tips of my last two toes on my right foot are touching the edge of the shoe a little, but it's definitely not as cramped as the 6.5D.
    A 6.5EE would probably be ideal, or even a 6.5EEE. Which would likely help with the V-gap as well?

Now i have 2 pairs in 6.5D that i need to offload.. lol
    Thanks so much advice everyone, you guys are amazing.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@Rubik1014 Did you really see a 6.5D rogue on there? Please tell me you meant 6.5E. They start all the full run styles in 6.5E so a D would have been unusual. I'd love to try a rogue in a 6.5D. The 7D was super large but I wasn't sure whether I would need a 7B or 6.5D. The 201 is certainly "interesting" - as someone with high arches the balmorals fit better but with the bluchers I'm overloaded with extra volume.

9. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior Member

Nice combos guys.

Gawwwgeous.

10. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior Member

Agreed. Comparing my 201 to 65 last shoes it seems like the 201 H-B is a half size longer (and the shoe itself is longer overall)...

11. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Definitely try to get your hands on a 6.5EE (in a balmoral like the McAllister) and check that as I feel your going to lose fitment in the heels on a EEE. Since the 6.5E improved you, I still think you should try a 7E. If you are OK with the length on the 7E, your V-gap should improve a bit.

12. gatszu

gatszu Senior Member

I have a pair black cordovan pa in 6.5ee to unload

13. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Thank you. (I have never heard of a Corthay shine.)

14. robster35

robster35 Senior Member

does this V-gap look ok? this was the only pic i took trying on some Strands the other day just so id know what size to order when i find a deal. on the brannock device my foot is just a hair under being a D width and a touch under 11 in length. the 10.5 was too long but this 10D seemed to fit very well if a bit snug but not uncomfortable

[​IMG]

15. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Corthay are some of the most beautiful shoes I've ever seen. Spoilered for non-AE content.

[​IMG]

Although it is perhaps more properly called an applied patina. Their Arca is one of my grails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.