• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fellow barn weasels: the week after next, I'll be celebrating the 4th with Independence Week - all my dress shoes will be Indy-line models (though I may skip the actual holiday on Monday). I have a new (used) acquisition that has been on my list for a while and a surprise MTO find queued up. I'd like to invite all of you to join me, for all or some of the week. Celebrating freedom by enabling!

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these vintage McAllisters on eBay for $35 shipped.

Got them today, threw a coat of bick 4 on, followed with some renovatuer, a coat of black cream and finally a spit shined coat of black wax.

Think they came out very well. Anyone familiar with the insole design care to date these?

g

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got them today, threw a coat of bick 4 on, followed with some renovatuer, a coat of black cream and finally a spit shined coat of black wax.

Think they came out very well. Anyone familiar with the insole design care to date these?

g

Those look great!

robster35

Reaction score

g

heck of a deal!!

styleaudit91

Reaction score

g

I think that is about 20-30 years out. I have a pair with a similar insole and that's what my SA said. I'm sure much more savvy members could give you an exact day.

Edit for comment placement.

Last edited:

pbrandes

Reaction score
Perfectly timed arrival for Wednesday, walnut Bartletts from Shoebank. Slight ankle bowing and heel slip on right shoe but well within tolerance, very happy with them. I know, I know--bals with jeans, but fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly...

RitchieBro

Reaction score

I hope it's ok to throw in a quick belt question. This seems to be one of the most knowledgable threads re leather in general.

This belt was straight when new. Now after a handful of wears it's taken a curve. Is this considered "warping"? Does it mean it's poor quality? Will it get worse with further wear?

ALL belts do that when you wear them. Geez.
Is your waist a straight line with no curves or undulations all the way around??

Last edited:

styleaudit91

Reaction score

ALL belts do that when you wear them. Geez.
Is your waist a straight line with no curves or undulations all the way around??

Here's my Dk. Brown (still a touch too dark for my dark shoes IMO) after 2 years. As you can see there is curve.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, the color is really nice.  Do you use some bourbon polish on them?

Actually no, but I get why you asked. These replaced another pair I had some fit issues with, and were noticeably more bourbon-y than the original pair. This was around the time they phased out bourbon, and this forum noted that walnut got darker around that time; my experience is consistent with that. They are still a bit lighter than my bourbon Daltons, but were about where I wanted walnut to end up. I'll probably maintain them with bourbon and neutral polishes.

firefit

Reaction score

Since I knew this thread dealt with sizing, I'm going to repost with a picture and see if you guys could possibly help me out.

This was the Allen Edmonds sizing sheet that I had founded recently on a website.
I assume it was produced by Allen Edmonds as I see they used to have a sizing sheet up a long time ago.
From this chart, and yes, I have REALLY wide feet.
It says I should go with a 9.5 3E, but I would like your guys input, and this isn't after I went walking for a while, so they are not expanded, and I'm pretty sure I can't get any bigger than a 3E.
Thank you guys

EDIT: Due to my lack of options/resources, I can't really make a trip all the way to an Allen Edmonds shop in Florida.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I knew this thread dealt with sizing, I'm going to repost with a picture and see if you guys could possibly help me out.

This was the Allen Edmonds sizing sheet that I had founded recently on a website.
I assume it was produced by Allen Edmonds as I see they used to have a sizing sheet up a long time ago.
It says I should go with a 9.5 3E, but I would like your guys input, and this isn't after I went walking for a while, so they are not expanded, and I'm pretty sure I can't get any bigger than a 3E.
Thank you guys

EDIT: Due to my lack of options/resources, I can't really make a trip all the way to an Allen Edmonds shop in Florida.
Hey man,

The advice I give to anyone with sizing questions is to 1) read up online on how to understand the readings of a brannock device (link:https://brannock.com/pages/instructions-fitting-tips), then 2) go to any shoe store or store that sells shoes (belk, macy's, nordstrom, payless, literally any place that sells shoes) and take pictures just like the one you posted of the readings for both feet on a brannock. Come back to us with your readings and pics as well as information like you have a high arch or low arch and then we can try to guide you on what size/lasts might work for your foot.

Also, for further reading, here's @Neo1 's detailed fit guide that describes how the different lasts fit. http://www.styleforum.net/a/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help

P.S. Damn you got some wide feet.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since I knew this thread dealt with sizing, I'm going to repost with a picture and see if you guys could possibly help me out. This was the Allen Edmonds sizing sheet that I had founded recently on a website. I assume it was produced by Allen Edmonds as I see they used to have a sizing sheet up a long time ago. From this chart, and yes, I have REALLY wide feet. It says I should go with a 9.5 3E, but I would like your guys input, and this isn't after I went walking for a while, so they are not expanded, and I'm pretty sure I can't get any bigger than a 3E. Thank you guys EDIT: Due to my lack of options/resources, I can't really make a trip all the way to an Allen Edmonds shop in Florida.
Based on your sizing and width, I would recommend you find/buy a pair in eee with a blucher lace as opposed to the closed balmoral laces. Preferably this would be in a larger last such as the 678 or 511. If they fit, you can explore other shoes built on the other lasts. If they are too narrow, you may have to go up in length since AE does not do eeee. If that does not work you will likely be restricted to the very few companies that make shoes in eeee widths, such as Alden. I am sure there are others, but Alden will be the better choice for quality if you have to go to eeee. You may also check out the forum thread for wide feet for advice.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you guys

Absolutely follow the advice of @MattRiv and @smfdoc . I particularly would emphasize trying a blucher on the 511 like a Leeds in 9.5EEE or even 10EEE (the 511 is not as long as other AE lasts like the 65, 201 etc.), if you feel that your feet swell a lot by the end of the day.

Ultimately, the shoe on your foot will be the best test. Remember if an AE store is not an option, you can order online and return. If you don't want to tie up a lot of money, you can pick up a 9.5EEE Leeds or 10EEE Malone from the ShoeBank right now for $137 and then return for $10 restock fee. Just try them out on a carpeted surface. That $10 investment may save you quite a bit of time and money in the long run.

Last edited:

firefit

Reaction score
Hey man,

The advice I give to anyone with sizing questions is to 1) read up online on how to understand the readings of a brannock device (link:https://brannock.com/pages/instructions-fitting-tips), then 2) go to any shoe store or store that sells shoes (belk, macy's, nordstrom, payless, literally any place that sells shoes) and take pictures just like the one you posted of the readings for both feet on a brannock. Come back to us with your readings and pics as well as information like you have a high arch or low arch and then we can try to guide you on what size/lasts might work for your foot.

Also, for further reading, here's @Neo1 's detailed fit guide that describes how the different lasts fit. http://www.styleforum.net/a/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help

P.S. Damn you got some wide feet.
Yeah, it's pretty wide. My parents used to call me Monkey feet. I'll definitely be doing that as soon as it stops raining over here (I bike) & I had looked into Neo1's guide, but when it comes to purchasing a used shoe on ebay, and his guide does list that "some people find it too wide" and "some people find it too narrow" but I really need to know for sure if it is wider than another last. I want to make sure it compliments my foot size/width, and over time looks even better.

Based on your sizing and width, I would recommend you find/buy a pair in eee with a blucher lace as opposed to the closed balmoral laces. Preferably this would be in a larger last such as the 678 or 511. If they fit, you can explore other shoes built on the other lasts. If they are too narrow, you may have to go up in length since AE does not do eeee. If that does not work you will likely be restricted to the very few companies that make shoes in eeee widths, such as Alden. I am sure there are others, but Alden will be the better choice for quality if you have to go to eeee. You may also check out the forum thread for wide feet for advice.
Will definitely look into Alden also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads