1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior Member

A lot of people believe that black looks better at night than other colors do. I agree with you that, if you are going to wear black shoes with something other than a a city suit or black tie, the make-up of the show should be more casual. I think that pebble grain is a good way to wear black at night without looking overdressed. There's an Allen Edmonds-for-Brooks Brothers pebble grain MacNeil that's for sale for $150 in the tent sale that you may consider; some English brands also make more casual black shoes in country grain with a lot of brogueing.

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Good points!

In the past I've considered the RL Sanderson in black (since I'm a big fan in tan/walnut and can get a good fit with an E width), but it is a bit more sleek and not quite the same level of "dressdownability" as, say, a black grain longwing like you suggest. But, I'm always open to considering and trying new things.

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

My advice would be to check eBay for a Florsheim LWB in pebble grain. There are a ton of them on there for a good price. I would have trouble paying full or even a sale price for a black shoe as I wear them maybe 1-2 times / yr. I just picked up a pair of vintage McAllisters (I believe they are 80s) with minimal wear for $35 shipped on the bay. They arrive today.

4. RTD1

RTD1 Senior Member

You already have two pairs of black shoes. If you want longwings, get them in burgundy (preferably shell cordovan in color #8) as this is the classic longwing gunboat IMO. Second choice would be dark brown. But definitely don't buy another pair of black shoes when you already have 2 and hardly wear them.

5. BackInTheJox

Appreciate the helpful insight! I would agree, this is something I probably just needed to be talked down from.

6. BespokeBrooklyn

Sure, but if he thinks he would wear a casual black shoe more often than a dressy black shoe, it may be worth the investment.

Another option is a black tassel loafer. Some well-dressed men adhere to a rule that, if you wear black neckwear, you should wear black shoes. If you wear, say, a black grenadine or knot silk tie with navy suits or a blazer and slacks (to a dressy restaurant, country club; or fancy hotel, perhaps?), a black tassel loafer would go well.

7. BackInTheJox

I suspect that yes, I would wear a casual black shoe more often than a dressy black shoe.

However, I suppose I probably should hold off on any black wingtip blucher for the moment. If I get to the point where I think "well, I have all the shoes I need for my collection/uses", then perhaps I will settle on adding a black longwing blucher.

Of course, do any of us ever reach that point?

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Chili Bryons for Wednesday. This old balmoral style on the 4 last, works very well with a high instep. One of the few balmorals that do. The Fifth Ave., the replacement for the Byron, was moved to the 5 last which does not work nearly as well.

[​IMG]

9. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@BackInTheJox I have a lot of trouble in this area so wanted to weigh in. I believe I own 15 pairs in black, maybe more. Apart from summer, I'm usually dressed pretty formally. I wear a lot of black (neo, duh!), so plain toe black styles get a lot of use - its actually the ornate stuff that don't. I literally went through that same thought process as bespoke suggested when I got the MacNeil in black and I rarely wear them. So id agree it depends on whether they will get used. I passed on the Kenilworth on multiple occasions in black - I probably would have worn it weekly at a minimum. I passed on a black Franciscan too - no regrets.

10. BespokeBrooklyn

I was thinking about that about a month ago. I came up with a list of shoes that could complete my collection, but even that was open-ended. Plain black cap-toes, pebble grain chukkas, a burgundy tassel loafer, a shell longwing blucher, a tan pair to wear to summer weddings and other occasions when I wear light colors . . . the list goes on. I work in a business formal office, so I have more use for black shoes and balmorals than many people do, but how often would I really wear tan dress shoes? Or a tassel loafer? Yet I feel somewhat of a need to have a fully rounded-out collection, just in case.

I just snagged a pair of pebble grain Leeds 2.0s for $60 off of eBay. I just got rid of an old pebble grain cemented/rubber soles pair, so this is an upgrade. You know, for when I travel, or for days when the weather is too lousy for my dressier oxfords but not so bad as to require boots. But those are the same circumstances in which I foresaw wearing my dundees when I ordered them a month or so ago. It continues.

11. smfdoc

12. BackInTheJox

It continues indeed.

I'm actually considering trying to see if I can fit into a D width Ralph Lauren Shanley (their new made by AE tassel loafer, essentially the Acheson I think) in dark brown, as they're $129 right now.

I work as a physician in an outpatient setting where chinos/button down with white coat is de rigueur. No tie.

13. BackInTheJox

All good points. I think right now I probably don't have a big enough "niche" carved out for black casual shoes.

14. smfdoc

I think the black color is an indication of formality, but the design of the shoe outweighs it. (Perhaps this is why my wife objects to black flip flops at a wedding.) I personally wear black longwing bluchers one a week and consider it an office appropriate shoe. The blucher, pebble and brogue moves it away from the use only in the "most formal" of occasions. They certainly work in a clinical setting, as can be seen from the doctor's stool in the background. I would certainly wear them with a suit in the absence of a more appropriate style. Although these are pebbled calf, I am currently looking for the same in cordovan and I look forward to owning both.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

15. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Wearing my Park Aves again today. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.