1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards the Mora for a groom but maybe I am wrong here. I definitely won't be going with the burbon but I felt the brown Mora would look good with the modern look or the lighter blue suit. Maybe its just not as appropriate as the groom should be more classic?

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

The opinions that you'll get here are going to be very traditional, hence the push towards a stitch cap like the Park Avenue for such an occasion as your wedding. I'm probably on the more modern side of the spectrum when it comes to pairing shoes with an outfit and I'm still not sure I'd wear a monk to my own wedding, although that comes with the caveat that I don't own a pair and really don't care for the style, so you can take that with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day, it's your wedding, so wear whatever you want!

I just wanted to point out the insane deal on the merlot shoes that I listed. If it were me, that's where I would look.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

Can you please link me to merlot deal. Thanks.

4. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its "Throwback Thursday" and I pulled out the "Passengers," one of AEs least successful spectator shoes. Rubber soled, black and tan, but oh so comfy.

[​IMG]

6. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

For a wedding I would go a little more formal than a monk strap. I really think the dark chili cornwallis would look pretty awesome.

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen...sonalizedsort&fashioncolor=DARK CHILI LEATHER

That gets you a pair of firsts and you'll have plenty for a matching belt.

7. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another installment of "Cheap Clothes, Expensive Shoes." Back to the Madison Parks today. I must need another pair of walnut shoes. Being a wing tip enthusiast, I am thinking McAllister. However, to avoid another domestic dispute like the one that erupted last night, prudence dictates that I make do with my modest collection for a while. Going to assume sleeper cell status until at least the RDA sale... I hope.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Illumanti

9. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Congrats! Google the topic and read up. I got married about 2 years ago and found a wide range of advice beforehand about shoes.

The advice I chose, was essentially, all attention should be on the bride, my shoes should not be noticed.

So, I wore black Park Avenues.

Following similar advice, a conservative brown shoe also would draw little attention. Bourbon is not conservative, and Moras request everyone's attention if only briefly. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

This is the suit I will be wearing. Awaiting a size up then tailoring of course.
    https://imgur.com/a/utWzz

I think merlot would be too flashy for this suit as its a bit bright already..
    Opinions?

11. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Brown, burnished Park Avenue.

Merlot could work, but I agree... more flashy than the burnished brown. I'd be more concerned about a merlot belt with that getup, if you're concerned about detracting visual attention from your young bride.

Also, brown Park Aves were my first big boy shoes and they survived the thrice-weekly (ok, probably 5 times a week) wearing when it was my only big boy shoe. Brush, condition, tree, repeat.

After ~5 years, they are now the Tim Duncan of my rotation. I want to get a much life out of them as possible, so I play them much less (twice a month) than before, and probably not in high-pressure situations. They've also aged remarkably well. Almost a milk chocolate color now, along with my wide dress belt in the same color.

Edit: Liriano and Melancon... Cutch down for a week... what are the bucs doing?

12. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

I agree. The Merlot has a bit too much red in it for a blue suit IMHO. I'm also not sure how I'd feel about bourbon with them. Chili, Dark Chili, or Burnished Brown would be where I would personally lean but as everyone has pointed out everyone has their own opinion on what looks good and would be appropriate. If you decide to go with something you see on shoe bank, I would urge you to call a physical store and work with a sales associate to take pictures of a style you are interested in in your size so you can get a shoe with minimal defect. The other route would be to check out the Nordstrom anniversary sale, AE clearance items, or the allenedmonds eBay account for good deals on firsts.

1 person likes this.
  13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Great point.

Brown burnished Park Ave is on sale at Nordstrom right now for $259.

14. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and would like to thank you all for the information that I have gathered here as a lurker.
    I recently received the Strands shown below. These were the last Merlot seconds available at the Shoebank in 9 EEE. I cannot for the life of me find the flaw that got these relegated to the seconds pile.
    Best $157 I ever spent on shoes.
    Thanks again for all of the info and photos.
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

It's a wedding not a Job interview here. I would rock the merlot, chili or Oxblood.

1 person likes this.
  16. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

It looks like you scored. That is a beautiful shoe!

17. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Someone say oxblood? *shuts off oxblood notifications*

2 people like this.
  18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Typical day for my feet...

Left foot: [​IMG]

Right foot: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

As others have stated, I would also skew traditional for a wedding. But that's me - for reference, my wedding attire was a black tux, breaking with tradition by wearing a tie rather than a bowtie.

Assuming the bride-to-be has already OK'd the suit, I think you have some leeway on shoes. I like monks, and do occasionally wear them with suits, but usually when the setting is slightly more on the casual side. Given the suit color, I'd suggest you stick with a medium or dark brown - chili, merlot, or burnished brown would all work. In your situation, I might lean toward the merlot PA or 5th avenue - price is a bit higher than McA or Strand, but both are more formal, and merlot is a fantastic color to pair with a blue suit. I also like the idea that when you wear the shoes in the future, you'll be reminded of a great day (I've worn my wedding shoes like 5x total since getting married).

At the end of the day, it's your fiancee's wedding first and yours second. If she's OK with your shoe choice and you like it, that's really all that matters.

1 person likes this.
  20. LeeMerrill

LeeMerrill Active Member

How do you all lace your bluchers? I bar lace my balmorals, but with the uneven eyelets on my bluchers I have been trying different lacing instead of just bar lacing and doubling the top. Here's my chili mcgregors laced over under:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.