1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

The recent discussion of the Clark Streets prompts a question. Other than the construction/design/last differences, what is the practical difference in usage between the CS in natural CXL and the Black Hills in walnut?

Both are a light colored, casual/informal leather with open lacing on an all-weather sole (one a Dainite, the other a mini lug). Are they interchangeable? Would they be usable year round?

I love the Black Hills. I'm not sure if I can justify adding the Clark Street.

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Thanks to @MattRiv , @Neo1 , @Jet-stream, and @FaRKle for the answers on the Rutledge. They are always appreciated.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I was just thinking about buying the natural CXL Clark Street! Also - the brown/red Freiburg

4. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

FYI, 8 new models just released on AE's main site.

Some highlights:

The Boone is back. (God forbid they actually make it in a narrow width...)
    Couple of golf shoes.
    The sneaker we saw in the blog post.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

Jeez, I can't imagine anyone in their target market paying $250 for sneakers...

6. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Just got my first pair of AE in the mail today from eBay. Barely worn Mcallisters in Bourbon.

Beautiful color and verify comfortable. I'm in love!

I immediately want to purchase a different pair in walnut now. Was initially thinking of Strand but now leaning towards the Mctavish or Mcgreggor.

Questions: what belt is intended to match the Mcallister?

Question 2: what shoe trees are you using? The ones I use for my Cole haans don't seem to fit properly and I can't get them fully in

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes thats true, Nordstrom's does have sales. I should have mentioned that.

8. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I know you waited for the navy a long time, so I get the front and center treatment. But I still sweat the Natty's.

1 person likes this.
  9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yep. His stuff is just as described. Got my Normandy's from him. If he had more in my size, I'd be in serious trouble. BTW he also has some AE belts, though I've never purchased a belt from him.

10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

They need to get the hipsters off the design team.

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Those natty bayfields! Urgh. Still can't believe I didn't get my MacNeils.

1 person likes this.
  12. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

Just got a new pair of McAllisters in merlot and matched them with the Manistee belt:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/accesso...F74011.html?dwvar_SF74011_color=74006#start=2

Given they are phasing out the bourbon, your choice in AE belts may be dwindling (im guessing). I did see a discounted Manistee in bourbon on the shoebank site (size 38) the other day and I spoke to a SA at one of the outlets who told me they still have the basic dress belt in bourbon. Hopefully others will give you more options.....

13. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

[​IMG]
    First time poster. Long time reader. Casual Friday with my new Boones

4 people like this.
  14. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I have both the Fred and the Dalton (in walnut and oxblood) and think you're right. The Dalton is definitely sleeker and more refined than the Fred. That said, I like them both.

Bernie

15. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

The sneakers are a bit more expensive than I'd like. Still, I think I'm going to swing by a store to check them out. I like the Brisbane.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  16. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm learning the AE pose (I think.) Black dundees for a Friday
    [​IMG]

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Dusted off the Fenway long wings today. I've been debating selling these, as they just don't get worn much. They are my only LWBs, so I've always held on to them until I can replace with a newer model. These were originally walnut, but have a had a few coats of dark chili and cognac, plus navy on the toe. I'm thinking a few more coats of navy and these will be ready...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,...

Thanks for all the quick replies! Does anyone know where he sources his shoes from? Thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I agree with the general consensus so far. Chili seems to be one of the most versatile colors not currently in your rotation and does work with navy/charcoal. The long wing blutcher is also a good idea as you have enough balmorals/captoes and you can rock a LWB with slacks. The McGregor or Macneil should fit the bill depending on size availability and your price range.

20. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Thanks for the reply.

One question on belt sizing. I'm a 30 waist size in jeans and normally buy a 34 belt in casual belts.

Are AE belts sized differently so I should stick to their reco of being a 32? Or are their belts the same size as other belts and I should stick with my usual 34?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.