Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

@jet-stream well, I pulled the trigger on the bourbons. $197 was just too good to pass up. For now, I'll sit tight on the bourbon color, but if it doesn't sit well with me or if I get the itch to go with the walnut, I'll take your advice and visit the cobbler. On a side note, the guy at shoebank was kind enough to toss in a tube of walnut polish (along with the bourbon I ordered) just for shits and giggles. Thanks for the advice!

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

As the poet Britney Spears once said:

Oops, I did it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added a black shell Dundee to the rotation. These were sold to me as seconds, but they are perfect, with no stamp on the soles.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

It's not Walnut Wednesday, but I feel the Flatiron calling my name today.
    [​IMG]

4. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I'm looking to buy a sh1tkicker LWB and I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you go with a burgundy sh1tkicker then it should be cordovan and not calf.

Is this a good rule to go by and if so what is the rationale? Would the MacNeil 2.0 in chili calf be a violation of this rule?

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Congrats! It is a crazy price - go forth and enjoy!

If I'm wrong about bourbon, renomat is really not difficult to deal with (tho hopefully you like the smell of turpentine) ...

From last month:
    [​IMG]

6. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

That's a beautiful shine you got there. Looks like a Corthay shine.

7. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Chili McGregors came in from the shoebank this afternoon, and they look fantastic. The SA I've spoken to when ordering seconds is two for two now, taking the time to check them out before sending them.

They're definitely not going back, but for the curious the only real flaw I can find is on the left shoe, where the wings don't come onto the back at the same level. The picture actually manages to make the flaw look worse than it is in person.

Will post a picture tomorrow with them on

.[​IMG]

8. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

If that's the only flaw, you're golden. Which location did you contact?

9. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Those are great. I was hoping for a pair in Brown in my size during the sale, but no luck.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Jville had these and color 8 in my size, and it took restraint not to order both. But I already have a plum museum chukka along with 3 burgundy shell shoes, one oxblood calf boot (AE) and another oxblood calf monk (Vass). I'm kinda all set for burgundy footwear...

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Evening everyone, I am looking for a bit of feedback. Well over a year ago I thrifted a pair of MacNeils in 11C. They feel pretty good width wise, but are definitely a bit too long. Regardless, because they were thrifted and in tremendous shape I kept them for myself. Last week, I decided to purchase a pair of 10.5D Stratton's, which are also made from the 7 last, in great condition. I tried wearing them for the first time today and they are incredibly narrow. Much narrower than the 11C and it feels like my feet are pushing the leather out on each side and much wider than the sole. My right foot tends to be a bit larger than the left, and by the end of the day my right ankle was sore. Maybe I am actually a 10.5E? Below are pics of the Stratton's on and also a sole comparison of the narrow 10.5D Stratton and wider 11C MacNeil.

I had assumed a 10.5D made on the same last would be similarly wide as an 11C, but shorter. I do not know much about shoes, but I am trying to learn! Please help me to understand why the 10.5D are so much more narrow than the 11C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

Excellent. Thank you for the info.

13. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

The Port Washington store. Really happy with the shoes and the service.

14. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Liking how the shine is turning out. Right boot is giving me a little trouble though. Not sure if the toe is still wet or what. I may wear them for a day to dry them out and try back at the toe again with some more polish.

[​IMG]

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Is the shoe on the right the Stratton, and is that a shoe stamp or a hammer stamp? It could be that they were recrafted, and ended up narrower after recrafting.

Also, Strattons are a balmoral and the MacNeil is a blucher, combined with the shorter length, that could explain tightness in the uppers, though not why your foot spills over the insole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.