1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

But on the Neumok it makes sense. Casual leather, unlined, contrast welt/sole its fine. Its in line with Paul G's push into new territory. Independence line, got to get it right or back to the old style.

Edit: Though it makes me wonder (AGAIN!) why they got rid of the McTavish!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Wonder what new goodies are coming to the main site...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I know what's coming - webgems with the old binding.....nyuk nyuk nyuk. Be here all week.

2 people like this.
  4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Best SA ever (Vincenzo from PW) couldn't believe he would ever hear 222 last and comfort shoes used in the same sentence [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

You guys and your piping obsession.

My McTavishes don't have any at all.

Neither do the Neumora for that matter...odd, but oh well.

1 person likes this.
  6. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Throwback Thursday. Oxblood Chelsea.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@TexasTexter

Can you take pictures of the Red neumok in daylight? I'm curious to see how it looks as well. From the website it looks clown red but your pics it looks more burgundy, which is what I prefer

8. tomcatbubba

tomcatbubba New Member

Hi all quick question on sizing as this seems to be the collection of the most informed opinions on AE. I am trying to fit the Strand properly, both 9.5E and 10D work, 9.5E has the laces at the top of the shoe about 1 inch gap. 10D have about 5/8 but a little more room between my big toe and the end of the shoe (probably a bit over an inch). Both fit very comfortably, with the 9.5D being a tad tighter. Will the 9.5D stretch enough to tighten the laces over time, will the 10D tighten too much and be too loose over time?

Thanks!

9. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

So I sent in my first pair of shoes for recrafting. I found a pair of cheap bourbon McA's on eBay. Had some real polish issues and needed new soles so I just went with the Prestoge package since they were so cheap to begin with. I wish I would have taken before pictures to show everyone the difference. I'll let you all know how it goes though.

10. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Does anyone know when the current sale on the weaves ends? I want to try the Leiden but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in to the local store until at least week from now. I'd have to call them ahead of time to make sure they get the sizes I need in stock as well. The last time I was in to try the 65 last and the indy lines they didn't have anything but standard width which almost begs the question why have stores at all... If the sale is only through the week then I'll need to order 3 sizes to test them. Certainly not preferred but not many other options sadly.

11. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

These are the brown not the burbon color right?

12. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

Help needed:
    I am getting married in 2 months and cant stand my current shoes with this suitsuppy suit I will be wearing:
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...v1=Blue&prefn2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Napoli

My current shoed are too light of a color so I waned more of a brown than walnut.
    At first I was sold on the St. Johns but $400 is my high point of my budget. Then I figured I'd go with Mora 2nds. Well on ShoeBank the brown Moras in my size are still $300..where as the burbons are $177. Why is this? Should I just spend the extra $100 for chili st. Johns or moras and save money for matching belt?

Also are returns accepted for shoebank shoes?
    And also are the Moras true to size or run big?
    Much appreciated! I've been reading through this thread for days.

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Hey man and congrats!

IMO a monk strap is not the right shoe for your wedding, but I'm also not a monk guy. The bourbon Moras are a lot cheaper because bourbon was discontinued. Returns are accepted for shoebank shoes, but you either have to return them to a retail store at a $10 charge or a shoebank location for free. No clue on fit with the Mora.

If I were you I would look hard at the merlot McAllisters or Strands as they are $197 for firsts right now, which is about as low as you'll see either of those shoes. Seconds are $157.

14. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

My personal throwback Thursday, the first pair of AE's I ever purchased- black Boardrooms:
    [​IMG]

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Continuing my obsession with all things shell, I give you my latest acquisition: a #8 cordovan tab belt. Really like it. A couple of minor quibbles, tends to scratch easily, could be a smidgen thinner IMO and there is a dry spot at one end. I usually deal with dry spots on my shell shoes with some Bick conditioner. I may pick up a brown one when they get some in stock in my size [​IMG]Ok, here are the pix:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

Appreciate the quick reply. Thats weird because everyone I've talked to has said Strands are not dressy enough. I love monks but worry if they are dressed up enough.
    Also thr soles on Moras are painted black aren't they?

17. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

A couple things:

1) congrats on the wedding!
    2) the Strand is less dressy than the Park Ave, but definitely more dressy than the Mora or St John. If it were me, I would go with the PA, but if between the Strand and Mora, definitely the Strand
    3) I have bourbon Mora's, and the soles weren't painted

Also, since this is page 666, even if this is the AE thread, I think it's only appropriate that someone post a pic of the Alden Devil's Loafers here lol.

18. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Is Vincenzo still around? I dealt with him a lot a few years ago. Haven't heard from him lately!

19. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Correct, these are brown

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@vince24L , congrats on the wedding!

To build on what @MattRiv and @orange fury have mentioned, a monk would not be my first choice. Maybe as a guest, in certain settings, but not for a groom's shoe. I'd shoot for something more formal, something that will blend in rather than stand out. The Strand or McA (slightly less formal than Strand) could be formal enough - or, are certainly more formal than any monk.

Also, a couple of warnings about the bourbon color:
    I think a primary reason for the color being discontinued was tiger striping. Many 2nds (even 1sts) have this issue. Some have had luck covering this up with polish, others haven't. Also, the color is a burnish on top of walnut, so keeping the same color is difficult.

Lastly, sometimes the color can have yellow or green undertones, which can sometimes look "sickly" to me. IMO, this can make it harder to pair with certain colors (really only goes great with charcoal, grey, and darker navy). Your suit looks to be on the lighter side of the navy spectrum, so the merlot might pair better.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.