Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Because there are multiple pieces of leather overlayed on the Cornwallis (the vamp and quarters is a separate piece of leather from the eyestays); a wholecut is one piece of leather (well, except for the tongue). The Beaumont, while gorgeous, isn't a wholecut. The Alex and Weymouth are.

90° outside means linen and bucks (although I wish I'd worn an undershirt; I forgot how see-through this linen shirt is :embar:)! Boones today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

2. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

Bingo. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Mother nature is fighting back at my defiance but I just don't care. Black shell baby!

[​IMG]

Damn, this is getting stupid crazy. Tarzan can't take this type of heat.

4. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Gotta wear a single oak leather sole with no poron on days like today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Some of us are out in the midday Sun wearing Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands (with Poiron insoles)........

[​IMG]

......and adding some subliminal messaging to people to stay hydrated when it's this hot.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Sorry again for posting on here about this, since it's not AE (but the only reason I strayed from AE to OSB for these was because AE doesn't have a shoe that fulfills this niche). Decided I couldn't get the fit right on these after going back and forth. They're very nice, and some day I may try again, but too much going on with getting ready to move (hooray finishing residency) and it's a pain shipping the shoes back and forth while changing addresses.

So I guess back to the drawing board. I wish AE made a nice wingtip (longwing or shortwing) gunboat type shoe that wasn't the MacNeil (just something about the aesthetics of that shoe that seem off to me a bit). I want a nice, sturdy brown wingtip with a reverse/storm welt and light colored/natural edge and sole. Short of a MTO or re-soled MacNeil, I can't think of anything that really fits there. I have tan AE/RL Sandersons but they're a bit more sleek, and I never see my size/width pop up in my shoebank searches in brown unfortunately. I guess I could consider a resole on my Madison Parks in dark chili but it's just not the same really.

Anyone know of a good shoe that looks similar to what I'm describing/what I pictured above?

7. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

AE makes a longwing for Brooks Brothers. I'm pretty sure it's based on the Macneil, but has a few differences like the combination tap sole and dovetail heel.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Long-...?dwvar_MH00215_Color=BRWN&contentpos=10&cgid=

Alternatively, Alden makes a version of their LWB with antiqued sole edges:

https://aldenmadison.com/collection/antique-long-wingcolor-8-shelld5511/

What specifically about the Macneil don't you like? It looks like a pretty standard longwing gunboat to me.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those look great! I'm wearing merlot Hopkinsons today, but mine are more purplish almost grape colored.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Thanks for the reply and the links.

I think what I don't like about the Macneil has to do with a combination of the "sharpness"/length of the center of the wing pattern (the part that points inward towards the laces, if that makes sense) and how far the patterned pieces that continue on past the eyelets extend to practically "touching" the piece around the bottom. I realize that's a terrible description and I'm blanking on the correct terminology, so here's a photo with the two areas circled. They're not total dealbreakers, they just seem to make me like the pattern a little less.

[​IMG]

The Aldens are probably a bit pricier than what I'm looking to spend at the moment, and the BB model is just a grain Macneil.

If I could somehow get a nice medium to dark brown calf RL Marlow and exchange the stock sole/edge for a natural/antiqued one, I might have my ideal shoe. But that would of course cost an arm and a leg.

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

12. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Post a pic! :D

I'm curious to see how the Hopkinson looks in the sun. I think of merlot PA's as red wine.

13. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

You mean that weird mysterious guy came through for us after we flooded him with reqests?

Yes. Yes he did. And there is more to come.

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Here you go!

[​IMG]

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Thank you, WMG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.