Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robster35

robster35 Senior member

i think im good. they just "seem" a bit long i guess altho the ball of my foot appears to be in the right spot. im thinking i did try a 9.5e at one time and it was pretty tight on the pinky toe

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

So the toe kinda feels flimsy in a way? I had this issue with my Strands as well. That feeling went away as the sole broke in. I think it stems from the sole being so stiff that it doesn't contour to your foot as it flexes.

3. robster35

robster35 Senior member

yeah that sounds about right. whats your size in thr strand vs your brannock size?

4. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I'm a 12 B on the brannock and wear a 12 B on the 5 last, which is the one used for the Strand.

5. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yea the 5 has always seemed to be very true to Brannock for most, including myself. maybe the shoe was mislabeled?

6. firefit

firefit Senior member

So, I've been really trying to figure out my size. My width is close to being 4.5 without socks. Am I a 3E? I am a 9.5 in length, should I take it up .5inches to a 10 and get my width to 3E?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I completely understand your comments as AE has made a large number of split toes over the years and currently has several. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual. The Stockbridge is a good example of the more casual. It has exposed leather edges on the split and vamp stitching and rubber soles for a far more casual appearance.

[​IMG]

The Ashton is remarkably similar, yet some would argue it is even more causal. While the vamp is stitched down as opposed to exposed, the joint in the split is still exposed. More importantly, the storm last is double stitched for a far more rugged and causal appearance. The sole is still rubber as opposed to leather.

[​IMG]
    The Malone (available in the shoebank on closeout for $147) is still quite causal with a rubber sole, and double stitched welt. The internally joined split toe joint is accompanied by a very delicate vamp seam that is machine closed. This is a faux version of the hand stitch seen later in the Bradley.

[​IMG]
    The Walton starts to move up the casual scale towards dressier. The split toe seam is no longer exposed as it is joined internally. The vamp is sewn down with three rows of stitching as opposed to two. The sole is a single oak leather, but it is still a storm welt without the double stitch into the side of the shoe.

[​IMG]

The LeSalle is getting dressier with the single oak sole, standard welt, internally joined split toe and attractive second row of vamp and split toe stitching.

[​IMG]

The Bradley has a prominent line of stitching in the vamp and split toe. This double stitching is actually going through the single layer as opposed to closing a joint. This can be done with a machine, but some companies like Alden, do this by hand at 4.5 stitches per inch. I am not aware which method is used by AE. It is common in some cordovan shoes, but also used in calf.

[​IMG]
    The length of the split toe stitch and profile of the toe adds to the dressier style of the shoe. It seems longer split toe seams are seen in dressier shoes, like the Delray.

[​IMG]
    The length of the split toe stitch, along with hand stitching, is a hallmark of some of the far more expensive shoes. A good example is the toe of this $1500 Sutor Mantellassi loafer.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the Dickson is an example of AEs failure to self edit in the split toe length department, with fairly horrid results.

[​IMG]

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

8. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

^^^^^^

Best post ever.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Hmmm... I'm closer to a 12 on Brannock, and I'm an 11.5D in most 5-last. But the Strand is cut very tightly, and I'm closer to a 12 for that shoe, though no combination really seems to fit me.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

The toe looks fine. I also size down (a half) from my brannock, and could size down a full, lengthwise, on the 65 but then things start to go screwy for me elsewhere so don't worry about it. The 65 is rather long, sort of like it was made for people with really short fingers for toes. As long as they're comfortable, no heel slip, or bowing then you're good to go. But wear them for a while on a non-marking surface (carpet) to play it safe.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

As others have stated, shell can vary quite a bit in color. When I got my Burgundy Dundee's I had them bring in 2 sizes just to be sure of the fit.

This is the pair that didn't fit quite right (ignore the bloom):

[​IMG]

This is the pair that fit, and I took home. They were darker indoors, and even in full blazing sun, they are darker than the above.

[​IMG]

All that said, Oxblood on the Daltons is pretty kick ass.

Edit: More pictures here: post #2467

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@BackInTheJox 91462 was the one I was referring to (brown). 91463 was also suede (like a tan).

13. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

Just found out allen edmonds has a sale on there merlot color shoes, but my size that i want will be back order for 4 weeks. I've never brought there shoes from their site before. So i was wondering if they use usps, ups or fedex to ship out their shoes? I know they use usps for there smaller items like the polish and shoe laces but what about larger items. I'm asking this because in 4 weeks i won't be in the country so I was hoping they use usps. Your answers will be highly appreciated.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Was reading some of the comments about the strand sizing - don't try to make sense of the 65 sizing. I measure a 7.5C, I have a Park Ave in 7D, I passed on a Park Ave in 6.5E (it probably would have been just fine), I passed on a Park in 7.5C (that was actually a little big), and I own a Strand in 8B (which fits pretty well).

15. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@cnation They have used both FedEx and UPS for me in the past. FedEx delivers on time or early, never a problem, leaves it at the door. UPS has screwed up a lot, delivers either late or very late in the day, leaves it in the driveway and has even left stuff at the wrong house. They have never used usps for me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.