1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Keeping those same references, for me personally - 1.) In the past I would have said the Lexington fit me ok, now I would say it's too sloppy. Arch-wise is ok but up front I have too much volume. Drop of heel slip. 2.) PA - really snug at the vamp, plenty of room up front, no heel slip; 3.) Rogue - started off like the Lexington but like 1.5X the amount of volume up front. Since the heel ls so smooth, I could have imagined slipping up and down in the heel really badly after a day's wear. This was 7D in all three. I always wondered about going down to a 6.5D in the Rogue and what that would be like, but AE starts the standard sizes in 6.5E and I didn't want to custom make something, wait forever for it and have it not work. I have others in the 201 - Overlord, Freiburg and Sauk Dr, and I wouldn't say they run longer, but definitely a lot more overall volume.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Both are 10D and the fit is similar between them. The rogue seems a bit stubbier but not noticeably so when on the foot. The only last that didn't fit me well on 10D was the Franciscan which had bad slip, but they were also seconds so it could have just been a wide "mouth" from inconsistent construction.

I think the 8 is my favorite both fit-wise and aesthetically, but there aren't many options.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. robster35

robster35 Well-Known Member

love those oxblood mcgregors. shoebank still has a pair in my size. tempting

4. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

@FaRKle I agree with @Neo1 the 201 is not longer, but has much more volume. What is your size on the brannock? The fact that you fit well in 7EE 511 last, I think your size may be 6.5EEE in the 65-last. Length wise, 511 7EE, 65 6.5EEE, and 201 6.5 EEE are all the same, 201 6.5eee has more volume than the other two. 65 7EE is more narrow than 65 6.5EEE, but is slightly longer. 65 7EEE has about the same volume as 201 6.5 EEE, but the 201 6.5EEE is shorter.

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I got those Strands for $265 during their anniversary sale. That is a tremendous deal.

6. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Is this also serving as the AE kvetch thread 2016? In the last couple weeks, I've taken a chance on shipping 3 bourbon firsts understanding that the burnishing and coloration could be less than ideal or consistent ... and while I've been pleasantly surprised with the color (3-for-3 on not being the weird yellow-green color), all had construction flaws that other 1st quality GYW shoes at this price point simply don't have (stitching through brogue holes, stretched panels leading to ovular brogue holes, misaligned brouge holes, panels not meeting at the heel seam, sloppy cutting of leather)... no photos ... I just didn't feel right taking pics of flaws in store after raising my concerns to the SA. SA said that human error should be expected, tolerated, and celebrated in a handmade product (so give me your money)... I looked at her like I would a child that told me babies come from a stork.

My first big-boy shoes were some brown PAs about 5 years back that I've loved, recrafted, and loved some more. I'm not as prolific as many on this forum, but I've gotten into about a dozen other pairs that, along with the PAs, are solidly in my rotation over the past 5 years. In the past year, I've probably tried another dozen and returned or rejected all but three. AE is starting to feel like a first love that broke my heart... I keep going back to her only for her to cheat on me over and over. At some point... you realize she's taking advantage of you and move on... but all I want her to say is I'm sorry and make an effort to improve. In between, I've started seeing these Spanish and Portuguese ladies... and while they're showing me a good time, I miss the good old days with my stout, midwestern girl.

If I should take my garment rending, gravel-though-the-hair bit to another thread, please let me know.

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I don't wear black shoes very often, but today I went with the black Fifth Avenues
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the AE Clarks Street Casual Shoes? Anything positive or negative about them? Couple days ago I ordered a pair on the AE website for $157 and I just couldn't say no to that deal.

10. gjdgjdgjd

gjdgjdgjd Active Member

I am looking to pick up my first pair of AE boots. I am set on the Dalton with dainite sole. I am torn between two colors - black and walnut. Any advice on this? Anyone have pics in black? There are millions of pics in walnut.

My current relatively small AE lineup is: black FA, walnut McGregors,brown Norwhich. My usual work dress is chinos/jeans and dress shirt.

What sayeth the forum?

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  11. hohneokc

I bought the Clark Street at Thanksgiving. The shoe never did much for me on the AE website, but I was in an AE store and I really liked them. I got the brown version. Great business casual / casual shoe and the Dainite sole is great for rainy days. I have worn them with everything from jeans to flannels and they look great. Very comfortable for me right out of the box. And the chromexcel is very durable and easy to care for.

Here are my Clark Streets
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  12. hohneokc

My personal opinion is the walnut. For me, black is a bit formal and the Dalton is not that formal to me.

However, I do have the black Odenwald (local store owner convinced me to try them) and I really like them with denim. But they have the brown edge / welt, light colored laces, and exposed eyelets.

So I guess I'm kind of on the fence. I think the black Daltons would work with the jeans part of your dress code, but I don't know how well it would work with the rest.

The most important thing is which one you like better.

Chris

13. Newberry

Nice! Those look great. Do they scratch easily like people say they do?

14. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how regularly do you wear these? I was thinking of dipping my toe into the apron/split-toe world with these guys and use them in a smart casual setting (sport coat and slacks, chinos being too informal) but was concerned the CXL would break in too heavily for such use, lending itself more to the chinos/jeans milieu.

15. hohneokc

I haven't noticed any scratching. But the chromexcel is great - any small blemish disappears with brushing or simply rubbing your finger on it.

16. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Funny you should post this. I just ordered my first pair of AE boots about 30 minutes ago when I saw that a pair of walnut dainite Daltons in my size on the bank. $197 just seemed to good to pass up. I probably would have still gone with the walnut even if I had a choice of black in my size.

I also have the same 3 color shoes in my lineup as you do and dress similarly for work. Walnut seems to show off the Dalton a bit better than black to me and it just works so well with denim. I've never seen them in person but based on pictures online they do both look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. hohneokc

I have worn these about 5 times since I got them Thanksgiving. But I have a lot of shoes, so none of my AE's get worn a lot. I have the Odenwald in black chromexcel and I wear them most weekends and they still look almost new. I really like the chromexcel for its durability.

I wear the Clark Streets to work with wool slacks and twills coupled with a sport shirt and sport coat and I like the look. I also wore them once with jeans and I really liked that combination.

I think if you keep them conditioned with AE Leather Lotion they will stay looking nice enough for slacks and a sport coat - maybe not dark grey slacks and dark solid sport coat, but definitely any other slacks and a lighter colored or patterned sport coat.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  18. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

The Lexington for me does feel like there's a good amount of volume in the toe area, but the ball and instep fit very well for me. The heel is great too, no slip for me. I wish my Alden Barrie-last PTB's (7E) had a narrower heel like the 7EEE Lexingtons.

I should rephrase my statement. The overall length of my Bartletts seems appropriate for a 7EEE, but the H-B portion seems much longer (less toe area).

The 7EE Dundees I happily got from you are a close (but good) fit for me with thin socks, but I wouldn't be able to wear a medium weight sock with them. On the 65 last I can't wear 7EEE bals due to the instep being too tight. 7.5EEE I can just get away with (and wear thin or medium weight socks). My 7.5EE 65 last bals limit the ways I can lace them, otherwise they get painful on my instep. I can't wear medium weight socks with these or I get pain on my instep and the ball area doesn't feel wide enough.

19. Newberry

Sounds great. I think I'm going to love them then. Thanks.

20. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    A question for Rutledge owners. I have never tried the Rutledge or any other shoe on that last and I have poor fit with balmoral laces. Is the shoe similar to the 65 last or more roomy like the 97? Any insight would be helpful as I am not near any stores to try on similar shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.