• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLC2

Reaction score
Definitely return that. Truthfully their QC has become somewhat of a joke. I'm having the exact same problem you are. I just received my 4th pair of those Merlot McAllisters from the May sale and all they did was send me back the ones I just sent them. I've had about enough of it and am going to wave the white flag I think. Its completely insane that if I return them (which why wouldn't I since nothing was fixed) I would be waiting for them to send me a 5th pair. I am starting to think robots make and package these shoes (sarcasm).

I'll call and see what they say.

I'm still struggling with sizing too. I was initially fitted by 3 SA's at two different stores, and they all figured 9E was my size on the 5 last - I'm pretty much an exact 9.5D on the brannock by both length and arch.

But, wearing a pair of Neumoks in that size killed the knuckle of my pinky toe on one foot and the lacing was never going to close. They also seemed a little long. The customer service rep thought 8.5EEE would be better, so now I have a Merlot McAllister, Blue Neumok, and Walnut Strand all in 8.5EEE. They feel pretty good, but maybe a little loose. I can curl my toes into a ball and can move the ball of my foot side to side a bit while standing.

Could that be because they're new? Or should I give 8.5EE a shot?

I really want to avoid that pinky knuckle pain. In my experience, if a shoe flares that up I'll never be able to wear it.

whodey14

Reaction score

Inaugural wear of the 5a. They aren't perfect however I'm tired of sending them back.

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Is there any love for the Chili Weybridge?

Sorry for the poor lighting in the first pic.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the words of Richard Feynman...

Now there's a name and quote I didn't expect to come across on this board. A few excerpts from Surely You're Joking... "found" their way into the reading list for a few classes that I taught.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Olive Shannon Drives get the call for the ride home from SFO...

Man, I've got to get myself on those now before they disappear from the Shoebank. What last are they on? Do they run big or small?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any love for the Chili Weybridge?

Sorry for the poor lighting in the first pic.

I like these a lot actually. I have seen them on ebay but never in my size. I'd definitely purchase them if I did. Unfortunately I didn't care about quality shoes when these were on shelves.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, I've got to get myself on those now before they disappear from the Shoebank. What last are they on? Do they run big or small? 

201 last, i believe. Sizing is the same as the 5-last, though i think it isn't as finicky for most, and the cut isn't as tight as the Strand. Slightly wider, possibly a slightly more tapered toe. I'd say expect a more forgiving fit of your 5-last size. The leather here is super-soft, and the butyl sole isn't going to beat you up, so it is more "wear-in" than "break in" for me. I'm really happy with them!

They still had a fair number of firsts recently despite removing them from the main website, and might honor the clearance price ($199) if you call.

[edited a bit for clarity]

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super casual Friday with Kirks and light denim.
For those keeping score at home, these (and their sister Maritime) are the same size as my 5-last - though I have at least one pair where I dropped down from D to B, in attempt to control volume. Both the Kirks and Maris are slightly longer and wider than the DR-made Sea Islands (I would have had to size up); still waiting on the, hopefully US-made, pair coming from Nordy's.

RTD1

Reaction score
I'll call and see what they say.

I'm still struggling with sizing too. I was initially fitted by 3 SA's at two different stores, and they all figured 9E was my size on the 5 last - I'm pretty much an exact 9.5D on the brannock by both length and arch.

But, wearing a pair of Neumoks in that size killed the knuckle of my pinky toe on one foot and the lacing was never going to close. They also seemed a little long. The customer service rep thought 8.5EEE would be better, so now I have a Merlot McAllister, Blue Neumok, and Walnut Strand all in 8.5EEE. They feel pretty good, but maybe a little loose. I can curl my toes into a ball and can move the ball of my foot side to side a bit while standing.

Could that be because they're new? Or should I give 8.5EE a shot?

I really want to avoid that pinky knuckle pain. In my experience, if a shoe flares that up I'll never be able to wear it.
I know all about pinky knuckle pain. Broadly as well as specific to the 5 last. IMO, if you're a 9.5D on a Brannock, here's what you should have done: Bought the shoe in 9.5E, since the 5 last runs a little narrow. Then purchased one of these:

The black plastic pieces come in different sizes/shapes and go into the holes in the wooden body of the stretcher. Find one about the size and shape of your pinky toe and put it into the hole nearest where your pinky toe would make contact with the shoe, then insert the stretcher into the shoe and crank the ever living **** out of it. Let it sit overnight. Then enjoy your shoes.

The reality is if you have a hammer toe or something else that causes your pinky toe to jut out, then going up a width or two or three is just going to leave you with a shoe that is loose everywhere except where you need it to be. Spot stretching solves this problem.

They also make these things for accomplishing the same thing, but I have not yet used one, out of fear of damaging the shoe (the stretcher I posted above will break long before it damages a shoe in most cases):

RTD1

Reaction score
As promised. Here are my brand new Merlot McAllisters that just came in last night compared to my Oxblood Strands and Dark Chili Strands.

Close up:

The Merlot and Oxblood are virtually indistinguishable, if you compare the Merlot to the burnished parts of the Oxblood. If you look at the unburnished parts of the Oxblood, they're a little more red than the Merlot (look to the left of the laces of the Strand in the first pic).

Oddly, in the second pic, the merlot looks more red and the oxblood more purple. That's because of the lighting. In lower light, it's reversed and the merlot looks a little more purplish than the oxblood. But regardless, the colors are very close, both burgundy variants.

Last edited:

OmBom

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm crazy but this e-mail shows the Sea Island with the "handcrafted in USA" insole, right? It certainly doesn't look like the insole on my Maritimes.

I mean, I know the web page says made in DR, but this feels shady.

The CXL shoe insole imprint says "fine imported leather". Maybe the lining is imported, but the CXL is from Chicago. You can never trust an insole.
smile.gif

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CXL shoe insole imprint says "fine imported leather". Maybe the lining is imported, but the CXL is from Chicago. You can never trust an insole.
smile.gif

They have stated its their old stock photos but that they do not come with that insole any longer. I agree it is completely misleading to do this given that they don't have that insole and they are not made in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics