1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I have to plead stupidity and want to ask the following -

1) The eBay prices are in some cases significantly lower than the store (listed or unlisted). These are new 1sts? Are they nonrefundable?

2) The stuff from dabondo marked pre-owned - what does that mean? Worn and trashed? Returned after minimal carpet wear/trial?

2. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

His pre-owned means it's been worn anywhere from a few times to hundreds of times. Sometimes you can find a pre-owned shoe that's only been worn a few times, and that can be a deal. His "NEW" shoes have been worn 1 time, usually only on carpet.

When in doubt, look at the pictures of the soles.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Xmas in July[​IMG][​IMG]
    I initially bought first ave in calf skin and when I returned them they had the shell event so I upgraded those to brown shell. Picked up the dalton shell from walnut creek grand opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:I agree - when I was in the process of swapping out my Shannon Drives, the SA on the phone seemed surprised that they had so many in the warehouse when they weren't listed on the site (was ~17 IIRC). I'm thinking the scraps when they discontinue are going to go through eBay for the time being...

5. volcanotristate

volcanotristate Active Member

I visited the AE store at the Tanger outlets in Mebane, NC. They have one case of bourbon polish left. I have been looking everywhere, and they said this was possibly the last of the bourbon polish. I did not get a phone number , but it is on the web.

1 person likes this.
  6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

7. amphillips79

amphillips79 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My seconds flash sale McAs in walnut with Dainite soles. Overall I'm very pleased with them. So far the only flaw I've noticed is that the brogueing on the tip of the right shoe has a central punch that is the wrong size and is slightly off-center.

2 people like this.
  8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

1) From people's comments here, they appear to be firsts (or do not have 2nds markings). The listing I just checked (assume all listings are the same) says 30 days money back, buyer pays return shipping.

2) I'd say the stuff from Dabondo is really hit or miss. From what I have gathered, the pre-owned stuff are most likely fit issues where a customer returned after wearing. I've seen some that look almost brand new, others that have had significant wear. I'm not sure about the items marked as new or "worn one time" (which is not new in my book, but I digress). I think those could be returns with light/carpet wear (both for fit and unseen structural issues), but also damage that didn't make the seconds cut.

My biggest issue with the seller is that the disclosed issue isn't always the only (or biggest) issue. So, as @Lobster33 mentioned, you really have to study the limited pics provided. The Addisons I posted above came via Dabondo. They had a cut (really a scratch), but seemed new other than that. On arrival, one shoe seemed to be stretched out more than the other. I'll never know if this was due to AE construction issues, or if the previous owner did this. A tongue pad resolved the issue - and this served as a great, cheap intro to this leather, last, style.

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I regularly check his stuff, but I still don’t understand one fundamental thing – where does he get all these shoes that look like they’ve been worn for years? I mean, does AE actually take back these shoes? Why would they accept shoes that have been worn for months? If it’s a fit issue, you would probably know right away if it does not fit, right? Or am I ignorant about something here?

I’m wearing a pair of black Carlyles today that I bought from him for $90. They had no flaws aside from a few creases, but had a “no warranty” stamp on them. They fit perfect and look great. I carefully inspected them and they looked brand new and even smelled brand new. I’m assuming these were firsts that were worn on the carpet too long and they could not be resold as seconds.

One alarming thing I’ve noticed is that he has had at least 8 pair of Hopkinsons that have a tear on the back heel. I’m not sure why there is this tendency in the Hopkinson.

Also, he does have a 30-day return policy. That’s pretty generous imo.

10. gm928

gm928 Senior member

I also check his listings on a fairly regular basis, and I also noticed all of the torn Hopkinsons. It looks like none of them have any wear on the soles, which leads me to believe that a run of these came off the assembly line with the torn heals. It was probably a one-time run of bad shoes due to some misadjustment -- I wouldn't assume that there is something wrong with the Hopkinsons in general.

11. bkdc

bkdc Senior member

Woah Dd1101 - How did you order those First Avenues in shell cordovan!? That's exactly what I want!!

12. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

If I'm 10c in Strands, what should I order in either the Academy or Oak Street? They're on the same last, but don't offer C widths. My feet are flat and low volume if that helps. I was thinking just a 10d,but also wondered about 10b or 10.5d. They both have the poron insole.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

How do your Strands fit? Loose, tight, long, short? Do you have any other sizes/models as reference?

Relatively speaking, the Oak Street fit looser than the Strand, as is the case with *most* bluchers vs balmorals of the same last. Obviously it depends on how your Strands fit, but I would think that a 10D would be too wide and the 10.5D could get ugly. I think 10C, or 10B would be the starting place... unless you're boarder line, one way or another, in the 10c Strands.

FYI, the Academy is listed as being on the 2321 last. Of course, no listing on AE's site about this last. You may need to wait until the filthy barn weasels have had time to try them on.

Edit: Meant to include: I wear the same size in Oak Street and Strand, though YMMV.

14. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I'd start with 10 B or 10.5 B. The natural leather usually runs longer and wider by 1/2 size.

15. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Casual AEs getting some cleaning today. Love how all these have been holding up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Oh man, those shell First Aves look awesome. Makes it real hard to decide between those and the Bayfield. At least I have a few months to obsess.

17. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

God damn. The st johns look stellar relative to the mora 2.0

Walnut looks like a winner to me.

18. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

When you're buying shoe trees (that purchase will make an appearance soon :)) at Nordstrom, but have to try on their exclusive model. The rep was cute, trying to tell me what size I needed. These were 8s and my toe was hitting the end and the vamp was too tight. "You want that fit..." uh no I don't. Also, for the record, those socks aren't even mine. I'm in boat shoes, but proof I do wear socks? I do want a pair of these though now :(
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

I got in my MTO Broadstreets today. What's missing? How about the black dots in the broughing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I don't see it.
    What are you talking about?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.