1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodey14

whodey14 Senior Member

So much drool! I got mine with Dainite so I'm supposedly waiting a little longer. I can't wait.

2. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Loving the shoes in parking lot look. For me there's nothing better than getting out of my car and snapping a pic of my shoes before heading into the office. That and scrolling through everyone's shoes keeps me sane :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

3. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior Member

Awesome! Nice to see some in real pics. I think it's what I was hoping for. Hoping to get mine in next week!!

4. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

Was looking for someone who actually owns them to comment on the Northland mocs - after BITJ raved about the Kirkwood so long last year and picked up like 12 pairs I reluctantly got one myself and despite it being the lesser ae by AE line, it's miles above any of the drivers I own. Trouble is the sole is not only bright white, it's soft as hell. The Northland looked like it might improve on everything I didn't like about the Kirkwood - I'm in the minority but I actually like the look and feel of the chromepak, its sort of waxy but grainy. Sole isn't white, and it's also much more rigid. But since the B&M stores have to be super efficient and only carry sizes between 9 & 10 I haven't tried one. I'm concerned they'll fit overly large and I'll look like I'm going out (in denim, khakis, etc.) wearing a pair of sandmans or something like that. Thanks in advance.

5. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior Member

Nice !!

I ordered on the next to last day and I hope mine look just as good.

6. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

Those look terrible. You shouldn't have to put up with them. Fortunately, they're in my size. So, you know, since you're gonna throw them away and all, you could just send them my way. I'll send you my address and a couple of bucks for shipping.

Man, I hope they bring this color back for some other shoes. I'd love to be able to get the poor man's calf version of @watchidiot's MacNeil's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. polishrifle

polishrifle Well-Known Member

Awesome to see in hand pics of these so early! Looks to be exactly what I was hoping for, especially judging by the no flash pictures. Can't wait to get mine in. Thanks for sharing!

8. RichieP

RichieP Senior Member

@Neo1 have you looked at the Bar Harbor or Bates? Those are also on the 555 last and they're on clearance/in the Shoebank. Very brief description, though. No mention of leather used.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    There have been several posts and discussions recently about lower cost shell alternatives, others about JR soles and some about AEs refusal to resole shoes with the dovetail heel unless they were cordovan originally. Here is an example of what can be done that touches on all three topics. These are Florsheim long wing cordovan shoes that needed new soles and the original V cleat heel replaced. The owner sent them to B Nelson in NYC to have a new sole, dovetail heel and JR soles. The edges were antiqued and the result is a lower cost shell shoe that has been returned to use with the benefit of a more user friendly superior leather sole and heel. It is certainly an option I will keep in mind for the right project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As an update, I contacted B Nelson about the cost of these changes and received the following response:

JR sole and heel re-craft........$150.00
    Leather mid-sole.....................$40.00
    Antique edges ans stitching N/C

Please note, we antiqued the edges of the sole, mid-sole and, heel bases.
    The only way to antique the top of the welts would be to remove and replace them. That's because in order to do the antiquing we have to sand down the original finish/stain. If we sand the top of the welts it would destroy the stitching.
    Replacing a 360 storm welt is a $50.00 option.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

10. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

I actually prefer the look of my shoes on cloudy days, as it doesn't highlight the color too much.

These new Leeds are interesting in that they are much quieter than the black ones I have. I sound like a woman in heels with my 1.0's. These shoes are like tanks, but I can tell I'm going to love them. Very comfortable insole, and quieter than my Lasalle's.

Speaking of scrolling, the color on these is fantastic.
    [​IMG]

11. The Equestrian

The Equestrian Member

Do you think that the strand in merlot would be too casual with suits?

12. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Those look absolutely incredible, I can't believe they came in that quickly. I ordered mine that Monday, so hopefully I'll see mine in the next week or so- hopefully the Cornwallis looks as good as the Strand!

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

You're going to get varied responses on this based on how strictly a member sticks to the "rules". Personally, I would have no issue wearing that shoe with a suit, but I wouldn't characterize myself as "conservative" by some standards.

14. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

As @aero25 mentioned something about today being "tavish Tuesday" (it's also Election Day in California) here's a picture at my Poling Place after I voted and wearing my khaki grain McTavishes......

[​IMG]

15. aero25

aero25 Senior Member

Looking sharp as always, Roy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.