1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parks1388

parks1388 Member

Is $40.00 too much for MacNeils with soles in this condition? I would plan on recrafting in dainite if possible to make this my go to casual.[​IMG]

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

They would look this way also if you spent $395 and wore them a dozen times. IMO, worth a try especially as you figure out your proper fitment with AE. And I would pull a few more dozen wears out of them before recrafting. :)

3. parks1388

parks1388 Member

Thanks! The MacNeil is my shoe so far. 97 and 511 seem to be my best bet. 65 and the similar last are a no go. I imagine I'll own a MacNeil in every color eventually. It's like heaven on my feet. I just wish I could find a similar fit in a PA style shoe.

4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

That is my experience also- 97, 511, 511g, 73, 234, 678 and 201 lasts all fit great. No matter how much I want any 65 last items, I always regret trying.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  5. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Hey no worries, I agree with you. If you take a close look at the right shoe, you can see a slight bulge from my foot pushing on the right side of the shoe around the ball area. It stretches out the shoe and that creates a gap around the ankle area like you mentioned.

I just have really short and wide feet.

There is no heal slip or looseness while walking, simply the ankle gap where I can insert a few fingers. I tried 8E as well and they were extremely tight at the ball, 7.5 EEE is probably my best bet.

6. parks1388

parks1388 Member

The 201 has been recommended to me as well. I'll have to try it out.

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

How does the vamp room compare in the 201 vs. the 108? Is it much larger or about the same? The best last for me so far has been the 108.

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    No, the soles are in very good condition. The stitch channel is well preserved which means the stitches are all intact. The previous comment about same wear as a dozen wearings is correct. This would also mean the heels should be in good shape and there is no way the double oak sole of a MacNeil has worn through. $40 is a bargain for the shoe. The recraft option is up to you, but there is a ton of wear remaining in them as they currently are. Given the brogue, color and double sole, they will dress down very well as a casual option. Here is a similar shoe in black I even wear with jeans when the mood strikes. Brown would work even better. Now go and get them before they are gone.

[​IMG]

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

In my experience they are about the same. I have worn the Rogue (201) and the Regent Street in the 108. I found the Regent Street to feel slightly longer but the vamp was very similar. If the 108 works for you I do not believe you will have any issues with the 201 last. There can be some fit issues as even shoes made on the same last can feel different, but you should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  10. parks1388

parks1388 Member

Ha! Thank you for your input and the tip regarding stitching. I PayPal'ed the seller, shoes should be here this week. Great shoes! I pair my MacNeils in black with a suit most often. But I'm just a simple country lawyer so our rules are a little more lax.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Killer find! I think hunting vintage shoes is one of the most fun things about collecting shoes. That pair looks to be in roughly the same condition as the Chesters I picked up a few weeks ago that are from the early 80s.

12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Great, thanks. I should be able to wear my regular size then. 2017 will be the year of the Hopkinson. :)

13. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

I hope so. I ordered a Hopkinson for myself in the same size as the Rogue. Both on the same 201. The Hopkinson was far tighter than the Rogue and had to be returned. Same old fit problem story and trying to do things through the mail since a) there is no local store and b) the one store 75 miles away usually has 0-3 shoes in my size, none of which are the ones I want.

15. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

[​IMG]

Looks like the Higgins Mill is now on the AE website along with 2 other new models. That Higgins Mill is amazing!

1 person likes this.
  16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Woah, NEW Cheetah for only $149. [​IMG]

Navy Oak Street is also tempting, but the sole looks a bit weird on it.

17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Oak Street Navy, should have made it with a double oak sole. The Black Kudu, as anyone who owns the Normandy, is super supple.

Shelton on the 201? sounds interesting enough to want to see/try in person.

Higgins Mill: very nice, someone should get one made up in shell. [​IMG] I'll wait for the Bayfield.

18. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Some pictures of AE's I've been wearing lately: dark chili Carlyle's, walnut Strands, and navy Banchory's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

A few more: brown Longbranch, walnut Jefferson's (my favorite pair), tan Ashbury's, and snuff suede Amok's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@ace13x I saw the black/burgundy Shelton 2.0 in the store. Definitely a little ticked they switched to 201 - looks better than 511 and would have fit me better too, I would have waited and passed on the 1.0. They looked good.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.