Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm speaking blasphemy, but I need less shoes. I'm still squeaking in these Daltons. In theory, if I had less shoes these would have already broken in, however, I'd have less shoes. Maybe I need more feet instead?

2. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

the bowing looks to be caused by your feet being flat. The Brannock device measures your foot heel-toe-toe and heel-to-ball, but it makes a lot of assumptions about your feet (average instep, narrower at the mid-foot than at the ball, etc). I would try going to an E width- possibly a half-size down, if you don't want too much volume in front. You seem like a good candidate for arch support inserts, as well. you may need the E width to accommodate the insert, but it would definitely straighten the top line.

3. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

At the $245-$275 price point of the sales over the last few months, there's nothing else out there that can touch AE. At full list price ($395), valid arguments can be made either way as to whether it's worth it to spend a little more and go Alden or Carmina. But not at these prices.

4. Pequot

Pequot New Member

Does anyone know if the Amex rebate offer is still in effect? Thanks.

5. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

There's nothing wrong with buying a "dirty" shoe/boot from AE. However, I don't think the Freiburg fits the bill. Maybe if it came with a lug sole. But, if I'm remembering right, it's just a leather sole. If you're going to do any kind of real work in it, you need traction and protection.

In all honesty, though, you'd be better served going with a true work boot of some sort. If you're doing anything around a remodel site, you'll want to have the best kind of sole possible. Ever stepped on a nail with just regular running shoes on? Yeah, it sucks. Accidents happen all the time on sites, and having work boots on can mean the difference between a laughable near miss and serious injury. I'm not saying that you need something steel-toed, but go with as thick a sole as you can. The first time you step on something, you'll be grateful. And, they're far more comfortable than you might think. I'm still working with the same, no-name waterproof, steel-toe boots I picked up 12 years ago from some big-box store. They're nearing the end of their usefulness, and I'll be moving up to something from Red Wing or another comparable brand at that point, as I tend to do a lot of project-based work in my garage these days and am usually the guy that gets called upon to help for construction projects.

TL/DR: Get the Freiburg as a beater for white collar situations. Anything blue collar requires something closer to a true work boot.

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I appreciate you taking some time to respond. The biggest hazard I'm dealing with is nails and paint, etc (not like construction work). I've read the Freiburg has a double leather sole, but I don't know what kind of insole it has (regular leather?). It also appears to have a rubber tread which might provide more protection. I also am aware it's on the 201 last, which would be new for me. But for $107, I don't feel like it's much to lose, and I know I won't have to worry about comfort and support with AE.

7. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Have you thought about the Sturgis? They're essentially a Wolverine 1000-mile with a lug sole (more or less). I *LOVE* mine; they're my go-to for recent wet-weather ridiculousness we've had in the DC/MD/VA area (seriously, like a friggin MONTH of rain and now tropical storms on the way). Plus i've managed to get more than a few scuffs here and there on 'em....clean right up with a wipe of Doc Marten's or other beeswax-based conditioner. I think they're around 150-ish on clearance now, although sizes tend to be a bit more sparse now than they were a month ago.

Edit, because #picthread :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

8. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Wow, thanks for all helpful input!

To answer some questions:
    1) Both 5 last shoes are new. I put them in shoe trees as soon as received. The McTavishs are 2nds which might explain some of the issue as they likely sat on a shelf for a while.
    2) I was fitted on a brannock at Nordstrom. I'm in Los Angeles and the closest AE retailer is ~90 mins away in Orange County. The more I think about it, this may be the best approach as opposed to sending shoes back and forth in a trial-and-error fashion. The only challenge is my wife and I have a 2 month old baby so it may be tough to get down there. [​IMG]

Nordstroms in my area don't seem to stock many size/width combinations and I can go back and get another look on the brannock but that may not do much good overall. I did find some simple tests you can do online to see if you have flat feet (never considered this before).

Similarly, would appreciate any recommendations if anyone is familiar with retailers in the San Fernando Valley or Conejo Valley that are suited for a proper fitting.

9. gm928

gm928 Senior member

10. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

thanks guys. I'll call later today and find out my options. Do the Freiburg and Rothsay have a poron insole or leather insole?

11. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Nice gunboats. That color looks really good with the Khaki.

12. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Freiburgs are leather. I've never seen Rothsays in person, but the description says that they have a "poron foam tongue and collar" and a padded insole.

13. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

You're on to something

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I've heard that if you sleep with your shoes on, you break them in faster. YMMV.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.