Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

If you're a 10D on the Brannock, do yourself a favor and get 10E for any AE shoes on the 5 last.

2. matwa

matwa Senior member

Maiden voyage for Oxblood McGregors[​IMG]

- Thanks to ShoeBank

3. flaminiom

flaminiom Active Member

How do the sides/ toplines look without feet in them? Do they bulge similarly? Are you using shoe trees and given the shoes a rest between wears?

4. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

No rhyme or reason but I'm making this week, boot week. Sadly only have two boots with AE, but this is still my favorite. Dalton in oxblood. Blows my mind when people say this color isn't versatile, but maybe my eyes suck?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I really like these. Probably the shoe I want most. Have them in walnut, wish I snagged oxblood instead.

[​IMG]

Today was a rare occasion I wear black. Strands.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

6. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

How does sizing in the 555 last compare to the 65? I'm a 12D in the 65 and am thinking of ordering some maritimes or kirkwoods. I do have a store nearby so I could just try them on, but the low inventory thing is really starting to frustrate me and I'd rather not spend the time if they are going to have to be ordered any way. So, assuming a 12D is perfect in the 65 (and 943), what would it be in the 555?

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

The 5-last is a really mixed bag for me. I'm just shy of 12 on Brannock and the wider side of a D with a high instep. My McT's have decent closure (but not perfect), and going from a D to an E doesn't help that very much. But they're comfortable - my "mistake cognac" McT's are easily one of my favorite shoes.

My Rush Streets are essentially CXL Strands. I've talked to several SA's and a lady at AE, and all agree that the Strand is cut very tightly. A "D" is only mostly comfortable, and the closure isn't great for me (high instep). An E doesn't help much and a EE is just too loose. I've tried 12's as well. Closure is better but there is unacceptable heel gap and the position of the foot is bad. But the open-lace/derby styles fit me fine in 11.5 D.

In any case, my point is that for some folks the 5-last fit is as much about the cut of the pattern as the last and sizing.

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Dustin,

Are the two pictured on the 5 last brand new? Or have you worn them for a while?

If the former, you may need a more narrow width. The facings are nicely closed (except for the bowing) right now but if these are brand new and as your feet mold in to the footbed, they are going to come close to overlapping. That's one indicator of too little foot volume for a particular width.

I second the motion to have an AE employee size you (though good luck finding a "C" width in a brick and mortar store). The Brannock devise (in the proper hands) is a good starting point but doesn't help much in my experience addressing foot volume.

Just my take.

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

[​IMG]#8 Florshem shell saddle shoes, VTG and MiUSA.
    Nice oxbloods today, gents.

10. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Mine are bourbon. Want oxblood or burgundy shell to compliment them. Want it baaaaaad.

Next sale I'm likely to splurge. :D

11. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Every time I think I'm satisfied or happy with my current shoe line up I remember the ones I still don't have. Once I get some walnut strands I know I'll want the other colors. Then I'll be looking for more bluchers as I do not currently own any by AE. These sales have become a detriment to my wallet. Thankfully this merlot sale hasn't done me in because I have McAllisters in merlot already. I'm grateful I don't find much use for boots in Florida because this problem would only get worse.

12. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

People (including me) complain about AE'S shortfalls, but I must say, right now they are on roll...they have a helluva lineup right now, and I honestly feel like I could easily blow several thousands of dollars without regret, if I had it to spend at the moment.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Felt like a LWB kinda day! Formally walnut Fenways and denim today. These are slowly reaching that deep cherry/burnished oxblood that I am looking for. (Btw, nice looking oxbloods @SLCRich , @Mat Waites , and @coolarrow !)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Merlot Monday with my Hopkinsons.

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its Monday morning and time to start off the work week with some serious, traditional, business long wings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.