1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Is Dalton included too?

2. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Funny that I've had only good experiences with the CAC. [​IMG] Maybe I should not push my luck and continue ordering from them...

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

1. I don't think there is any kind of a rule about cac getting the worst stuff. I've seen examples of good & bad in store & cac.

2. If anyone actually pays the 230 for the urbino I want to read about it.

4. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I think trying to figure out which shoes I wear for the 5-day week is similar to a college basketball coach trying to figure out how to rotate ten 5-star players. I feel many good ones get left out every week.

5. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Just checked Nordstrom and unfortunately none of the Neumoks will be on sale during their Anniversary Sale. Sad news but I did see that the Cavanaugh will be in sale. Im thinking about getting the walnut color.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Unfortunately the Dalton is not included this year

1 person likes this.
  7. mosy

mosy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just received black Hopkinson from recent seconds sale. They fit well and are quite comfortable. My only concern is that while they made the cap significantly bigger, they don't seem to have extended the toe counter (is that what it's called?). So when I walk I see that there is some creasing well into the cap toe. The leather is quite supple so it doesn't seem too noticeable when not being flexed. But I imagine with some extended wear these just may well develop very noticeable creasing inside the cap.
    Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Mosy, in my opinion, I think they look great. That's not going to be very noticeable, and considering they are seconds, I think you got a good pair.

I love wearing these...
    .[​IMG]

9. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I have them in merlot and while there is a little bit of creasing in the toe box, it's not nearly as noticeable than it would be on the standard calf.

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I think you're probably fine. Maybe take a toothpick and work some super glue in there to make sure it doesn't creep.

2 people like this.
  11. LeeMerrill

LeeMerrill Active Member

Thoughts on Bourbon McAllisters vs Walnut Strands? I have no half brogues but other wingtips and lwbs including Merlot McAllisters.

12. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Dumb question, but are there any more still available in your size? Maybe a swap is in order.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  13. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

Tan Aberdeen's, I've been polishing occasionally with Saddle Brown polish and they're getting some really nice depth.

[​IMG]

14. kpyeoman

kpyeoman Member

Need some help. I'm torn between the Merlot Strands and merlot Mcallisters. Was leaning towards the Strands as they're a bit more unique, but keep seeing good pictures of the McA's that make me go hmm. I'm 35, work for a city in finance and wear suits most days. I have a pair of black PAs, brown Hinsdales and chestnut Meermin Oxford wing tips. Next purchases after the merlot pair will probably be black Kennilworths and brown FAs. Any thoughts would be appreciated...it's tough as they're both nice shoes.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Some sockless Grayson love for a dinner tonight. I'm thinking these might see some action with denim next week. They are so perfect. Also, this thread has been on fire lately. I have to go through like 9 pages of content to get caught up haha
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Navy strand Thursday:

[​IMG]

And from yesterday:

[​IMG]

Bourbon ones fit better due to what I describe as a "fat" vamp on the navy. Both are great though. Really need a navy belt though.

17. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Really liking all the blue shoes on past few pages, regret missing out on them. AE X RL singletons from early this week..

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

My two cents on the Mcallister vs Strand questions above.

I love wing tips with some red in them. I have a pair of chili McA's and I've been close to buying merlot/oxblood.

I think the walnut Strand should be a staple in everyone's closet, right next to the black PA. While I don't have a walnut Strand, I do have a walnut Sanford which I love and scratches that walnut itch.

[​IMG]

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Ultimately I'll give you my thoughts, but it's totally up to you.

1. Bourbon McAllisters - best case is the bourbon is more of a "fashion statement" kind of color - little more odd, unique. Very nice, little tricky to pair up with clothing. Worst case is the color is green-tinged or has tiger striping. I'm assuming your either getting 2nds (which would be just stupid), or 1sts (217 minus the 50 amex), so let's say ~170-220. Once they're gone, they're likely gone for at least a long time.

2. Walnut Strands - walnut is more traditional. Can be really light, can be more dark, roll of the dice. Depending on the bourbon, walnut can be easier or harder to pair with clothing (I'd air on easier). You could be looking at 2nds during a sale for 240 (which I'd probably advise against), the Nordstrom thing (260), or the bloomingdales thing (225 after the 30% and amex). So let's say ~260.

Either way, the bourbon McA isn't much cheaper. You already have the McA in merlot, which at least to me is a much better and more versatile color already. So my vote is the Strand.

1 person likes this.
  20. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

In the past when I've ordered seconds that are at other shoe banks he's had them shipped to him first before sending to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.