1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

For the people who have darkened their Walnut strands. Did you ever use black polish? I've been using Saphir med brown polish but I want them a little more darker.

Thoughts?

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@Lobster33 - Funny, how fits/shoes can vary. I feel like I could put on my Clark Streets with no-show socks and the loosest knot possible and I still wouldn't get any heel slip.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm now locked and loaded! I've never ventured that far down Ian's site, so thanks for the reminder about that resource.

3. sd-engnr

sd-engnr Member

[​IMG] Both the black PA and chili 5A are size 10E on the same 65 last but as you can see in the picture, very different volume going on in the forefoot. Full disclosure. The black PA are an eBay purchase and marked "no warranty". The Chili 5A are a ShoeBank purchase. The black PA rests very well against my foot where as the 5A has some gap which could attribute to a creasing issue. As others have mentioned. These are handmade items and maybe some workers fit the leather tighter to the last than others? Or maybe the eBay shoes are no warranty because of the lack of volume? Who knows.

4. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Right I thought you were asking from D to E not the variation from shoe type despite being on the same last. Something else that maybe be contributing there is the dainite sole vs the leather sole. The no warranty like our favorite ebay seller typically has on the shoes he sells is seemingly stamped on there so they are not returned to stores but appear to be shoes that were worn just enough or have damage beyond what stores and the shoebank could resell. The shoebank purchase could be there for a number of reasons, sometimes its things we dont even necessarily see. On the 65 last I wear the same size across the board (possible exception for unlined and the rough leather collection though I haven't tried sizing down for them since I'm fairly pleased with them in my normal 65 size). There is definitely variation across the last though and many will tell you their strands fit a little differently than their PAs or 5As.

5. sd-engnr

sd-engnr Member

My question about the D to E differences were because I was curious if maybe the ebay purchase was a mis-marked shoe. Such as was marked as 10E but was really constructed as a 10D.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Grey Macs again!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I've used a variety of colors, all with very light coats. I use black everywhere on my bourbon shoes, just on the toe and heel of dark chili and the deep dark brown (like the 5th Streets).
    For walnut, I use med brown and/or cognac everywhere and navy on the toe/heel. Might sound weird, but I absolutely love the look of navy (I use Meltonian's) on walnut.

8. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

That's basically the way I lace my running shoes

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Navy eh? Can you post some pictures? Curious to see how your walnut looks now

10. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow! This is the first time I've seen the Cornwallis in the dark chili color. They look amazing!

1 person likes this.
  11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Agree - I've got to figure out the fit on these...

12. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Just received my brown grain dundees from the bank. There are small imperfections that dont bother me. There is one that visibly would never be seen at all but I am concerned that the cut is deep enough that it could become an issue overtime through wears. Again not in terms of how it looks but the integrity of the leather as a whole. Picture shown below shoes the cut, almost like someone took a razorblade to it to shave the welt or something.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I use straight AE black polish to burnish the toes and stitching/broguing on my walnut Jeffersons and Rutledges. Works great. Using a light coat all over makes it look like chili (not dark/bob's), but I've also just used it on the areas I want to give a burnished look.

14. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

You should figure it out fast because they're gonna be on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I didn't check the price but they're probably going to be 260. Same price as the Park Avenue, Strand and Carlyle

15. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I tried black polish on my bourbon shoes but I did not like the way it looked. It didn't really match the burnished part and looked too dark. I've found much better results with the dark brown polish. But use whatever works for you, of course.

1 person likes this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Hmmm. Not sure we are on the same page here... Or perhaps I just need lunch (and more coffee).

FYI - I don't think they make C widths in Dalton/Dundee. I was just using 9.25C to say what my ideal fit would be in the Daltons. I'm in a 9D right now, which is slightly short for me now, with some heel slip. 8.5E was way too short, 9.5D had too much volume, 9.5B was too narrow, don't recall if I tried the 10B or not.

You mention they should fit the same, but then say you wear different sizes in each? Based upon your examples (7.5 E Daltons and maybe ideal Dundee would be 7 and 2.5 Es?), it seems the Dundee fits longer and more narrow?

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I don't wear a lot of walnut, at least in regular calf, so I only have a few examples. Daltons I posted this morning have navy on the toes/heel. Here is a more accurate pic:
    [​IMG]

A few examples can be found on post 4891 on page 327, post 997 on page 67, and post 1013 on page 68. (I've never linked to specific posts, so not sure how this will work out.)

These also have some navy on the toes (and maybe cognac everywhere), though not picked up completely in the photo.
    [​IMG]

18. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I misinterpreted your "9.25C" to be a typo and thought you meant "9.5C" which can be had SMU (same how I had a 2E width made in the 511 last).

How is your 9D short if you have heel slip? Wouldn't that mean that the back of the shoe isn't grabbing your heel because it's too long? Or is the shoe too long for you heel to ball, but too short for you in front of the ball for your toes (in which case the last just isn't a good fit for you)?

Sure I wear 7 2E in my Dundees now, but 7.5 E would give me more room in front of the toes, which is what I'd like since the 511 has a fairly quick taper in on the outside of the shoe from the ball. The difference would be between fits, and fits better. The Dundee isn't longer and narrower IMO.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@middlepP I'll keep this short. I own the Dalton and tried the Dundee 2.0. Bottom line is the overall shapes are extremely similar. As I said in my guide, you gotta factor in the eyes. With so many eyes on the Dalton, I found weird unexpected pressure at the instep. With fewer on the Dundee, I found I had to lace them really tight to keep my heel from slipping. Same toe, same length. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks, I had not considered the SMU route. I do feel like you lose value with AE once you start paying retail (or retail + fees). If going the SMU calf route, I think I would move to a different maker. However, if I was paying for AE shell...

Length is FAR from the only factor in heel slip. Width, volume, lacing gap, footbed being broken in enough for heel to settle, etc. I don't have to look too far in my collection to find longer shoes with less/no heel slip as my Daltons.

@Neo1 - thanks for the info. I agree completely about the ability to lace tighter and hold everything in place. If I am having trouble with the Daltons, I'm guessing I would experience the same or worse in the Dundee. Crazy as it sounds, this has me leaning towards going up from 9D to 9.5D and using one of the road warriors inserts. And, btw, I have turned to the fit guide more than once. Great starting point for anyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.