Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Haha, I just bought two pairs of shoes yesterday (granted they were ebay), but my wife may kill me if I go for a shoe at that price.

I did just pick up a pair of Tory Burch's for her on Mothers Day, so I think I've earned some leash. Haha.

2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Yorktown chili today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

True, but we ferrets have more style....

[​IMG]

4. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

Dark Chili is a totally different color to me. Merlot, Burgundy, and Oxblood in person look much closer to me than they seem to for others. I have a hard time telling the difference. I think the AE pictures make those 3 colors look more different than they appear when seeing them in person.

5. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I think I might need to edit that post to convey it was intended to be sarcasm haha. I agree chili is different enough. As for the other colors seeing them in person is much more helpful because oxblood and burnished merlot are quite different, unburnished merlot on the Jefferson 2.0 color is a bit closer looking to oxblood but there is still a noticeable difference.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

6. gm928

gm928 Senior member

To me, merlot and burgundy are the same color. The differences between two lots of burgundy or two lots of merlot leather are likely to be greater than the differences between a merlot lot and a burgundy lot. Oxblood, on the other hand, always seems more red than either burgundy or merlot. Merlot/burgundy is a purplish brown, while oxblood is more like black cherry.

7. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

[​IMG]

Much better representation of merlot

8. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

My merlot mca's are deeper red in person than my oxblood carlyles. My dark chili 5ths are more brown than either of them.

9. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Beautiful shoes. Some people can really get their Merlots to pop like that; mine have always seemed duller and more purplish-brown, but this pair is at least a decade old, and it's possible the color has changed slightly over the years (as, for example, their chili has changed).

10. M2511

M2511 Senior member

To change the subject, have the sea island loafers ever been offered for less than $195? I want to get them in blue but if there is potential for them to be lower I can wait. I also see nordstromrack has some for ~$165 in colors that do not appear to be offered any longer. I was interested in their boat shoes but I think I'll stick with my gold cup sperry's.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

11. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Thank you, haven't done a thing to them. This is actually their first wear. Haven't had many nice days so I've been holding off.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a constant downpour so it may be j&m for me.

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I'd love a pair of Sea Islands if I can get a pair cheaper than $200.

As far as the boat shoes, they are a different animal all together from the Gold Cups. I've got a pair of AO Gold Cups that are more like slippers than shoes. The AE CXL leather boat shoes are much more resilient to abuse than the GCs. I love the white contrast sole on the Maritimes/Kirkwoods. If you are on the fence about an AE boat shoe, maybe you should try a Kirkwood?

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Shell Fairgates for a Friday.

[​IMG]

14. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Maybe the Sea Island will go on clearance at the end of the summer season. That could bring the price down to $157 or so for firsts and maybe $127 for seconds. We can hope, anyway.

15. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I think I'm partial to the Maritime style for a boat shoe. Same price. I'm with you on cheaper Sea Islands, its been in my cart during the last 2 sales but I just cannot seem to pull the trigger at $200. Honestly with how often they are on sale I don't find $200 to be a "deal" especially being made out of the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.